Gameday < 2021 2015 Warriors Offseason/Preseason Thread

All games pre 2021
I wouldn't worry too much about Johnson. He's going to thrive on the expectation and pressure. He'll step up, but he'll only do so if the forwards can make meters and the team supports him with a good kick chase. The reason the Kiwi's did so well, amongst others, was the kick chase being led by Foran, when we played Aus their kick returners were under so much pressure cause our chase was excellent.
Warriors only have a few technical issues to work on: kick chase, dominating the tackle, good choices for passes.
Cappy has a good support team this year, and they all look very focused and they know what the expectations are in 2015.
We won't dominate the comp, but we will be top 8 this year.

Reactions: 4 users

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
Going on those photos MT Welly posted, the one with Shaun Johnson. He looks like he's got the whole world on his shoulders, again, when he played for the kiwis last year, he looked real relaxed. Come on Shaun Johnson relax man. Enjoy this season. No need for stress.

Man you guys read so much into a photo, how do you know in the very next frame he wasnt smiling his head off after he got his breath back and realised just how damn good he looks without a top knot.

• Haha
I know I'm a prophet of doom, but I have a funny feeling that we my get off to a good start this year. they look fitter and I'd say some players may be under pressure to perform with Doyle comng in.

I'm looking forward to the first game.

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Man you guys read so much into a photo, how do you know in the very next frame he wasnt smiling his head off after he got his breath back and realised just how damn good he looks without a top knot.
Yeah its pretty funny reading some of the interpretations of SJs pic. So many ways of looking at it. 1000 words so they say. He could just as easily be thinking who that dodgy guy is standing next to his car...

cq5dam.web.1280.1280 (16).jpeg

• Haha
Yeah its pretty funny reading some of the interpretations of SJs pic. So many ways of looking at it. 1000 words so they say. He could just as easily be thinking who that dodgy guy is standing next to his car...

View attachment 13666

We may as well start reading tea leaves if a split second in time photo can give as much info as some are seeing, hell he maybe about to sneeze.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Johnsons face is strained.

That tells you nothing other than his face is strained.

Muhammad Ali for example was noted to have a moment of fear in the dressing room before facing George Foreman....the man who had lifted Joe Frazier off the ring floor with a punch......a mere fight after Ali had lost to Frazier.

Four years out of the ring saw an aged Ali beaten by the great Joe Frazier then Joe himself horrifically mauled by the most powerful man in the history of boxing, present day included.

No one hits a man like George Forman.....no one.

Ali beat foreman.

Precocious emotional athletes like Johnson / McEnroe /Ali and so many others are going to wear their hearts on their sleeves 24/7.

The trick is to learn to use that and not waste time trying to suppress it.

Maloney called him temperamental and said he enjoyed getting under his skin.....well the way for Johnson to deal with that is to tune it into focused intensity......forget trying to be cool / calm.....etc....that's for Kungfu Panda.......give the guy set routines in game situations as go to moves in game play ( right now that is the drift sideways by Johnson ) give him something else to do that is structured which he can execute with his particular type of temperament in his own way.....you see Sam Tomkins do this a lot with his tip ons.

Jordan G

Too large to post but have a read of the SMH article on Johnson today if it hasn't been posted elsewhere. Brilliant piece.

Reactions: 1 user

View attachment 13666

Remember how we all read different intent into that Elliot/Mannering photo from last season? Mannering could have been thinking anything from "God I hate you Elliot you twat!" to "Hmmm, that cheesecake the hotel menu had on it sounded sweet, better order some after the game!" to "Dang, that Adults stuff Jon Toogood sang's cool, better download that baby!" or, as I suggested, "Yeah, thanks, coach. Shit, I'm buggered!"

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Remember how we all read different intent into that Elliot/Mannering photo from last season? Mannering could have been thinking anything from "God I hate you Elliot you twat!" to "Hmmm, that cheesecake the hotel menu had on it sounded sweet, better order some after the game!" to "Dang, that Adults stuff Jon Toogood sang's cool, better download that baby!" or, as I suggested, "Yeah, thanks, coach. Shit, I'm buggered!"
I posted that and made the comment about Simon Mannering not liking Matt Elliott. I wasnt offering an interpretation. I was trying to give you all a big hint. Two weeks later Matt Elliott got sacked 'resigned'.

This was the pic:

cq5dam.web.1280.1280.jpeg

Heres my original post. Read the next 3-4 pages...

https://www.nzwarriors.com/threads/2014-coaching-thread.34812/page-22#post-432018

I am getting excited about this season, the squad is pretty deep, some soft area's - I feel like our propping rotation is missing something, a Burgess/giant/scary motha fucka type - but we will do well I think/hope...

Our second row/lock is looking like one of the best on paper, especially with Hoffman being on par with Mannering as far as credentials go. Thompson has quite a bit to his game, a fuck ton better than Bakuya.

I posted that and made the comment about Simon Mannering not liking Matt Elliott. I wasnt offering an interpretation. I was trying to give you all a big hint. Two weeks later Matt Elliott got sacked 'resigned'.

This was the pic:

Heres my original post. Read the next 3-4 pages...

https://www.nzwarriors.com/threads/2014-coaching-thread.34812/page-22#post-432018

Haha gotta say I was on the money there-
Elliott- "Great game simon"
Simon- "fark off egg"

• Haha
I think McFadden has emphasized to our front row how much their gonna have to perform if we're gonna get anywhere this season.

I've seen some promising signs all pre season from our front rowers bar Jake the bull because of his injury but it's gonna be our engine room that needs to man up if we're gonna crack finals footy.

Matulino - At the Nines he was brilliant, his ball carrying and defence was great and he's looking fit, agile and mobile. Mutts played well against the Panthers without being outstanding but the signs are promising. If Mutts can rediscover some of that intimidation 2012 form which we desperately need then it will help take some of the work load off Jake. We need him to be at his absolute best because when he is not even Bromwich can match him. Quite frankly Matulino's a leader but he needs to pull finger and harden the fark up simple as that. Comes down to maturity with him.

Lillyman - You know what you're gonna get from the bull and that's impact and power surges all day he was a lone soldier last season and this season he needs more help he shouldn't have to shoulder most of the work load. Jake's one of those players that plays with so much passion and physicality you know what he's going to bring every week but even he has to go even better then last season. Add a few subtle adjustments like a step and offload at the line and he'll be even better but I don't expect that stuff it's just the shock factor of it will catch some off guard I just expect toughness and consistency every week. Jake's an established Origin player now and if he can handle that level then I don't see why he can't have another great season at club level.

Rapira - One of the real disappointments of the last 3 years injury prone and just hasn't rediscovered the 'maniac mojo'. Through all the pics that mt.wellys provided and the Penrith trial he does look in great shape and that's a promising sign. My fear is he's only one big whack away or clumsy accident from reinjuring himself. We need him to step up with strong ball carries and smother defending Sam's at an age we're he should be peaking and maturing, if he wants to extend his career then he needs to make statements on the field, no more excuses.

Matagi - He's pretty much taken Packer's spot as the fourth horseman of our 4 pronged propping rotation but I still rate Packs as a far more influential player then Suaia. We all know his game centres around those mad ass ball carries but I want to see his work rate improve there's more to the game then just charging like a lunatic. The 1%'rs as they say are more vital to me. Definitely suffered the dreaded second year syndrome effect but he's gonna have to do more then just strong ball carries to keep his place. Matagi and Rapira are the two most at risk of being replaced by our young lions Vete & Lisone. I have belief this fella will shine this season, his pre season efforts have been great but I want to see more.

Lisone and Vete are both still works in progress but I have no doubt they'll shine in top grade if given the opportunity. Lisone's the player with the huge raps and expectations but I think Vete will play top grade before Lisone, that's just a hunch. Vete was awesome in the trial against the Panthers but I go right back to the trial last season against Wigan, Vete was outstanding just needs to harden his body and shake off all the niggles. Vete's body shape looks solid and more suitable to NRL intensity whereas Lisone is just playing off that youthful exuberance. Just hope when they debut they both don't try to be glory boys and just tuck that ball under the arm and run it up the farken guts like a prop should, no Hollywood shit.

I still believe we have a great squad I've always thought that but the emphasis lies with our props they've been soft as farkin marshmallows we all know that's where our weakness lies, you can't do jack shit in this comp if you're halves are always playing on the back foot. Our props need to set the tone and lay the foundations for our spine players to shine no ifs or buts about it. Surely after 3 years of no finals footy Shaun has had a gutsful playing behind a ratshit pack because when he's surrounded by class forwards in the Kiwis we know exactly what he's capable of. Come on men wake the fark up and steel up.

I've never thought we needed giant props like Kasiano or Masoe or George Burgess , although that wouldn't be a bad thing but I've always maintained we have the cavalry, our boys have proven they can take those guys when the minds in the right space. Our boys are not the biggest forwards in the world like all media outlets portray (especially ozzy media) but they know how to play the game. It's not rocket science it's heart, it's passion for the job it's determination and will to win that's what I'm craving to see, professional or not even semi professional and amateur players know this.

Excuse the rant just needed to vent some opinions.

Reactions: 5 users
I think McFadden has emphasized to our front row how much their gonna have to perform if we're gonna get anywhere this season.

I've seen some promising signs all pre season from our front rowers bar Jake the bull because of his injury but it's gonna be our engine room that needs to man up if we're gonna crack finals footy.

Matulino - At the Nines he was brilliant, his ball carrying and defence was great and he's looking fit, agile and mobile. Mutts played well against the Panthers without being outstanding but the signs are promising. If Mutts can rediscover some of that intimidation 2012 form which we desperately need then it will help take some of the work load off Jake. We need him to be at his absolute best because when he is not even Bromwich can match him. Quite frankly Matulino's a leader but he needs to pull finger and harden the fark up simple as that. Comes down to maturity with him.

Lillyman - You know what you're gonna get from the bull and that's impact and power surges all day he was a lone soldier last season and this season he needs more help he shouldn't have to shoulder most of the work load. Jake's one of those players that plays with so much passion and physicality you know what he's going to bring every week but even he has to go even better then last season. Add a few subtle adjustments like a step and offload at the line and he'll be even better but I don't expect that stuff it's just the shock factor of it will catch some off guard I just expect toughness and consistency every week. Jake's an established Origin player now and if he can handle that level then I don't see why he can't have another great season at club level.

Rapira - One of the real disappointments of the last 3 years injury prone and just hasn't rediscovered the 'maniac mojo'. Through all the pics that mt.wellys provided and the Penrith trial he does look in great shape and that's a promising sign. My fear is he's only one big whack away or clumsy accident from reinjuring himself. We need him to step up with strong ball carries and smother defending Sam's at an age we're he should be peaking and maturing, if he wants to extend his career then he needs to make statements on the field, no more excuses.

Matagi - He's pretty much taken Packer's spot as the fourth horseman of our 4 pronged propping rotation but I still rate Packs as a far more influential player then Suaia. We all know his game centres around those mad ass ball carries but I want to see his work rate improve there's more to the game then just charging like a lunatic. The 1%'rs as they say are more vital to me. Definitely suffered the dreaded second year syndrome effect but he's gonna have to do more then just strong ball carries to keep his place. Matagi and Rapira are the two most at risk of being replaced by our young lions Vete & Lisone. I have belief this fella will shine this season, his pre season efforts have been great but I want to see more.

Lisone and Vete are both still works in progress but I have no doubt they'll shine in top grade if given the opportunity. Lisone's the player with the huge raps and expectations but I think Vete will play top grade before Lisone, that's just a hunch. Vete was awesome in the trial against the Panthers but I go right back to the trial last season against Wigan, Vete was outstanding just needs to harden his body and shake off all the niggles. Vete's body shape looks solid and more suitable to NRL intensity whereas Lisone is just playing off that youthful exuberance. Just hope when they debut they both don't try to be glory boys and just tuck that ball under the arm and run it up the farken guts like a prop should, no Hollywood shit.

I still believe we have a great squad I've always thought that but the emphasis lies with our props they've been soft as farkin marshmallows we all know that's where our weakness lies, you can't do jack shit in this comp if you're halves are always playing on the back foot. Our props need to set the tone and lay the foundations for our spine players to shine no ifs or buts about it. Surely after 3 years of no finals footy Shaun has had a gutsful playing behind a ratshit pack because when he's surrounded by class forwards in the Kiwis we know exactly what he's capable of. Come on men wake the fark up and steel up.

I've never thought we needed giant props like Kasiano or Masoe or George Burgess , although that wouldn't be a bad thing but I've always maintained we have the cavalry, our boys have proven they can take those guys when the minds in the right space. Our boys are not the biggest forwards in the world like all media outlets portray (especially ozzy media) but they know how to play the game. It's not rocket science it's heart, it's passion for the job it's determination and will to win that's what I'm craving to see, professional or not even semi professional and amateur players know this.

Excuse the rant just needed to vent some opinions.
Definitely not a rant there Bro, that is exactly what has been wrong the last few seasons. We have outstanding backs and I for one cannot wait for the day when our forwards give those backs enough space to allow our backs to unleash their potential. We not only have speedsters but steppers and bargers all waiting to carve holes all through the opposition.