General 2015 BREAK OUT PLAYERS.

Weno

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 3, 2012
2015 we will be blessed with the opportunity to watch new players become NRL stars or regulars.

Some will get a taste right from the first whistle.
Others had a small taste before 2014s end and have something to build off.
Some will get an opportunity later in the 2015 season.

I am not just looking at Warriors.

Who have you got your eye on for 2015 to light up the NRL

Last edited:

Weno

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 3, 2012
I myself am excited to see Sam Lisone get his first taste of first grade.
He is not on the bench of many of our 2015 Warrior teams.
But just from the pure talent this young man has, I would be surprised if he does not get an opportunity for 2015.

His junior Kiwi book end partner Addin Fonua Blake is a beast.
With the book ends the Saints have acquired.
He might have to bide his time with youth on his side.
Be great if we get to see him take the pitch in 2015.

Reactions: mt.wellington

mode81

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 25, 2012
From our own club perspective I'm looking forward to seeing Tui Lolohea get more first grade action I think he has the potential to be a key asset for us.

Another player I'm keen to see in first grade is Kata he looks like he could handle that step up and be a real handful for the opposition, just that low centre of gravity powerful ball carries and stocky thighs very similar to both Konnie and Ngani

I'd really like to see Havili get more first grade action I like what I've seen from him when he's been given opportunities and I think he'd combine well with Johnson considering he's quite a good runner from dummy half who distributes well but he does get too predictable and overplays his hand at times.

Reactions: Vancent

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
Looking forward to seeing nas ( asofa solomona ) have a run in first grade- he's one out of the box.
Completely dominated the Junior Kiwis vs Junior Roos game. Looked like a man amongst boys. Was lucky enough to go to the game and he just blew me away.

Jack Bird is meant to be playing centre for the Sharks and has a mountain of expectation on him...

BA-AD Luck

1st Grade Fringe
May 18, 2012
I think this is Shaun Johnson's year. This is his year to rise above the good and become a great.

From the Junior ranks, I hope Kata and Lolohea gets an opportunity at some stage throughout the season. Lisone to carve up NSWCup first before I get on his bandwagon.

Inruin

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
May 19, 2012
Auckland
ok, probably going to get laughed at now, but I think this is Chad's breakout year. This does not mean he is the superstar of the team or will be making game changing plays. I do think this is his time to cement a that halves spot as his own and make that left edge as good as it was when he played there this season. The stats suggest that he has the ability to create trys, force repeat sets and make tackles. That takes some of the pressure away from Shaun Johnson. When Shaun Johnson, Tomkins and C Money were on the park we were the best attacking team in the comp. Time to build on that with a better quality squad and better prepared.

I expect Shaun Johnson to be the star this year following on from his award and performances late this year, but it will be Townsend doing the no frills stuff that will help him be that star. Much like Foran does in the tests. (No I'm not saying Chad is as good as Foran - though I don't think i would be spending that money chasing Foran when we have Chad and Lolohea amongst others already with money better spent in other positions)

STEEDEN

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 7, 2014
Auckland
I really hope Ben Matulino has a big year for us. When he is playing his best footy, I think he is as good as, if not better than any prop in the NRL, we need his go forward, big hits and off loads back in our game.
If he can regain some of his past devastating form, it will help create that platform and space Shaun Johnson needs to work his magic and also IMO a Big Ben back at his best is one of the keys to us winning a premiership in our 20TH anniversary year, which is what we all really want.

matiunz

All Out!
Contributor
Jul 15, 2013
Sydney
Wanna see;
Lolohea kick on
Havili solidify a spot
Kata given a shot
Wanna see what Lisone can do (possibly a year too early though)

Magic Stick

1st Grade Fringe
May 18, 2012
Curtis Rona will flourish at Bulldogs and have a breakout season. kiwi Jumper in future

Danny Wicks comeback player of year

Nelson Asofa Solomona to be young kid too burst on scene and make Gould & Rabs cum in there pants

InsideBall

Warriors 1st Grader
Oct 24, 2012
If Tui gets the chance in his position - 5/8 - I think he will seriously turn some heads. If he only plays wing, it'll be much harder for him to show what he's got... Having said that he did throw one of the greatest passes I've ever seen against the Raiders last year playing on the wing...

Sam Lisone I'm looking forward to seeing if he can make an impression in FG: but my expectations aren't huge... Props normally take a whole to become accustomed to FG.

Other players I'm looking forward to seeing play are Valentine Holmes, Dallin Watene-Zelezniak, Roger Tuivasa-Sheck at fullback... some great talent coming through.

Iafetas Kickstand Wang

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 21, 2012
Thomas Leuluai for us. I liked his match against Australia in particular in the Four Nations, took the markers on well and gave apart from one pass very good service. Defensively was good too. To me if Chad Townsend and Thomas Leuluai get their jobs done well we are off to a good start.

Leedslion007

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 21, 2013
Brisbane
Wanna see;
Lolohea kick on
Havili solidify a spot
Kata given a shot
Wanna see what Lisone can do (possibly a year too early though)

Totally agree mate, although I have concerns that management will play safe and keep these boys down for another season and run the risk of losing them to other clubs.
I see Lolo as a big part of our future! Let's hope he can cement his place.

Do we know if these boys are training with the first team??

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
The most likely candidates in our squad to break out and get into some form that gets the league media buzzing would be Johnson or Lolohea as a rookie if he gets some time in the halves or fullback.

Looking at our squad we have some experienced players who have had some lean years who could return to form. I'd put Matulino in this category.

Then we have a lot of inexperienced players who have debuted in the last few years who are at the stage where they are used to first grade and can hopefully build on that. The main two in that category would be our two centres; the first thing they need to do is come back on their target weight.

Hurrell we have seen what he can do on attack we need more consistency off the ball with his defensive work. Laumape has the chance to start the season has the number 1 left centre with challengers with similar experience. He said this year he was trying to get his defence right, no we need to see more what he can do with the ball. The Storm game on ANZAC Day where he ran hard and took it to them is what we need to see more consistently.

Ikahihifo to me had a breakout year in 2014 which was his third year in first grade. Hopefully the others that debuted in 2012, 2013 have a similar season.

Lousi had a pretty good year in 2012 where he was covering for all of our front row injuries. 2013 was a right off but 2014 was pretty good for a guy first season back from a major knee injury. Hopefully he builds on that in 2015.

A bit of a rant but I think we are more likely as a squad to have a breakout season with various players building on the last few years and being reinvigorated under a new rebuilt coaching regime.

Vancent

😷
Contributor
Sep 10, 2012
BrisVegas
From our boys the obvious choice is LoLo, the smoky is Kata. I know I've said it before but I want to see him at hooker.

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
Martin Tapau is the player I'm looking forward to seeing play this season.

By definition of 'break out season' he has probably had his, although the Four Nations might unleash regular domination of forward packs this year akin to the Burgi and Taumalolo's profile.

In terms of our lot....the young gun spine players would be a huge bonus but I don't see that happening yet, experience is such a big deal / big step up scenario.

The Ben Hunts and Cherry Evans 'burst onto the scene' type seasons are rare in those positions.

Probably looking at the same for Lisone.

More likely scenario is someone experienced finds their feet and brings the full noise akin to what we expect from Lilly man now that's he's a grown up prop.

Towensend and Tomkins would be useful players to have firing and more realistic chance of playing big games a lot.

jonno

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 13, 2014
I'm picking Cappy to have a break out season as coach. He took over the reigns on round 6, with no preseason, and we scored 10 wins from 19 games (+122 PD, ave 25.0 pts for, and ave 18.6 pts against), which is easily a good enough strike rate to get us into the finals (if we continue that form for the full season).

This season we've lost three of our more inconsistent import players in Mateo, Nielson and Bukuya and replaced them with some real solid performers in Hoffman, Thomson and Wright.

We've got champions in the squad with Mannering, Shaun Johnson, Leuluai and Vatuvai coming back from the Four nations victorious. And we've now got three past Wigan champions in the squad with Hoffman joining old team mates TL and Tomkins. Not to mention Hoffmans immense record with the storm and the NSW Blues victory this year...

Some of our younger players coming of age are looking might awesome too, with Shaun Johnson obviously, then there's Hurrel, Ikihihifo, Laumapi and Townsend etc,,,, and a whole bunch of talented kids bursting up through the grades...

The squad is outstanding IMO and Cappy seems to know how to get the best out of them, so we could see Cappy having a mega season as head coach here at Warrior Nation.

Or we could see the same bottom of the table teams thumping us by 30 BS that we get every year... Who knows...

Last edited:

Boats n Hoes

1st Grade Fringe
May 14, 2012
Not sure if they'll have breakout seasons but a few of the Junior Kiwis I'll make a point of following

Asofa Solomona
Fonua Blake
Te Maire Martin
Kodi Nikorima (dare I say it reminds me of a young Ben Barba)

As for the Warriors all the usual suspects have been mentioned - Lolohea, Kata, Lisone. However Ken Maumalo is one that intrigues me. Don't know what it is just have a sense he's possibly one that's gone under the radar a bit.

Reactions: Inruin and Defence

wallacenz

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
Lolohea on the wing for the Warriors, he didnt look out of place there last season and has some pace and footwork. He's also cover for the halves and fullback without having to carry a bench player for those positions.

He could be the next Karmichael Hunt

Last edited:

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings