• Jacob Lillyman

• Simon Mannering

• Sam Tomkins

• Manu Vatuvei

• Shaun Johnson

• Ben Matulino

• Sebastine Ikahihifo

Results are only viewable after voting.
As an unashamed Mannering fanboi, I have to say I'm quite surprised that he got the award over Lillyman. Are there factors beyond on-field performance that get taken into account?

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
As an unashamed Mannering fanboi, I have to say I'm quite surprised that he got the award over Lillyman. Are there factors beyond on-field performance that get taken into account?
Of course there are other things taken into account. Player of the Year is about the complete package. Playing, training, mentoring, community work, etc. If people knew just how much strength and determination the guy had to play on through injury no one would be complaining. The last few games he's had an arm injury that most would have sat out for. Not only that but he puts in 100% every game. Injured or not. Look at all his bandages. Those are just the ones you can see!

cq5dam.web.1280.1280 (6).jpeg

Would have been nice for a change to recognise someone else but certainly wont complain about Captain Mannering getting the recognition he always deserves. Congrats and well done...

Reactions: 5 users

Inruin

Contributor
Of course there are other things taken into account. Player of the Year is about the complete package. Playing, training, mentoring, community work, etc. If people knew just how much strength and determination the guy had to play on through injury no one would be complaining. The last few games he's had an arm injury that most would have sat out for. Not only that but he puts in 100% every game. Injured or not. Look at all his bandages. Those are just the ones you can see!

Would have been nice for a change to recognise someone else but certainly wont complain about Captain Mannering getting the recognition he always deserves. Congrats and well done...
Agreed, though Lillyman was at a bit of a disadvantage. He didn't have C money laying on tries for him like Mannering had.

Reactions: 3 users

In that case it's amazing he hasn't won it more often. So many times, he's looked like the only player who actually wants to be a professional league player, with all that goes along with it.

Reactions: 1 user

eudebrito

|-|
Contributor
He does play twice as many minutes as a prop, so there’s that.
If preparation, professionalism is a factor konrad will only ever be the peoples player.

Reactions: 1 users
Only one half and no fullbacks-
Backs up my long held belief that we've never had enough class players in key positions.

Yeah that one half was pretty good. How did he only win once? Ok I know his best year was 2002 and Ali won that year which I can understand but Stacey was great for quite a long time.

Far Away Fan

Hopefully Hoffman or Matulino will push Mannering for the top gong next season

Hopefully someone else will come through and push them all out of the reckoning.

I've just read a story on theroar.com.au which is a team of 2014 debutantes. Not surprisingly, we don't feature. And frankly, I don't think Fusitua would have come close. Very depressing.

Next year, things could be different. I hope!

Far Away Fan

He does play twice as many minutes as a prop, so there’s that.
If preparation, professionalism is a factor konrad will only ever be the peoples player.

If his ability to score tries against overwhelming odds and his ability to draw more than his fair share of defenders and his ability to strike fear into his opponents are factors Konrad will always be our best player. :cool:

He's tops at blowing kisses, too.
Is that a factor?

From the herald article:

Warriors captain Simon Mannering finished the season with 212 games and 112 as captain.
* Ranked fifth for most metres (2221, an average of 93 a game) and second best among the forwards with only prop Jacob Lillyman ahead of him.
* He was fourth for most runs (247) and defensively he was clearly the second busiest player with 712 tackles, an average of just under 30 a game.
* He played the full 80 minutes in 22 games, missing 26 minutes in one game and being taken off with a minute to go in another to average close to 79 minutes a game.

Manu Vatuvei was the Warriors' top metre gainer with 3435 metres, an average of 149 a game.
* 'The Beast' had an outstanding year scoring 17 tries in 23 appearances to lift his career tally to 135 in 194 matches. That moved him inside the NRL's all-time top 20 try scorers as he maintained his sequence of being the club's top or top-equal try-scorer in each of the last eight seasons while he is only the second play in the competition's history to score 10 or more tries in nine consecutive seasons (only the great Ken Irvine stands above him).
*He made 15 line breaks and 53 tackle breaks in a campaign when he equalled his record for most appearances in a season.

Geez I'm disappointed for Jake and Manu, Manners had a decent season but also had more minties moments than anyone else and some were game changing..
The award reflects some of the problems we have IMO..

Geez I'm disappointed for Jake and Manu, Manners had a decent season but also had more minties moments than anyone else and some were game changing..
The award reflects some of the problems we have IMO..
Minties moments are the untold story of Mannerings career. He is a rich mans Logan Swan.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
The point I just heard talk back discussing just now was;

Is it an indictment on the Warriors that Simon Mannering wins so often ? Would it be preferable for a player type that can win games /turn games in your favor be the lead performer in your squad ?
The examples of Thurston & Foran were used.

I think this is a fair question and is why I raised the point in an earlier post re 'what does this say about the Warriors ?'

A side discussion took into account that the Warriors game winners ( Johnson /Tomkins/Hurrell are still inexperienced ) debatable point with Tomkins........Esl v Nrl experience aside.

Reactions: 2 users
Hopefully someone else will come through and push them all out of the reckoning.

I've just read a story on theroar.com.au which is a team of 2014 debutantes. Not surprisingly, we don't feature. And frankly, I don't think Fusitua would have come close. Very depressing.

Next year, things could be different. I hope!

Johnson. It needs to be his break out season, the season he comes of age and truly stamps his authority on this team and the NRL.

Inruin

Contributor
Not sure but the only other recipient has been last years winner Jerome Ropati...

The Vodafone Player of the Year accolade was Mannering’s second of the night. Earlier he was presented with the SKYCITY Legacy Award to mark his milestone 10th NRL season for the Vodafone Warriors (the sixth 10-season player in the club’s history after Stacey Jones, Awen Guttenbeil, Lance Hohaia, Jerome Ropati and Manu Vatuvei).

https://www.warriors.co.nz/news/2014/09/16/vodafone_warriors_red_ball_awards.html

Tbh I sort of have a nagging doubt that if Lillyman had the season he's had in say a top four team, it would just be regarded as just a prop doing his job. Here though, because he was pretty much the only prop consistently doing "his job" it's player of the year material? Not dissing the bloke, loved the fact he was one of the few to give a damn and turn up each game.....but a dominant display? I'm not so sure. We would be worse without his efforts that's for sure.

Mannering? Like Lillyman and as per usual, consistent as. Had his best attacking season for ages, a defensive rock. Has a penchant for giving the worst "blind" offload I've seen tho.

Manu probably would have got my vote. However these three we're clearly our best. And as Mount Welly's alluded to there's probably a lot of things we don't see that factor into this so congrats Capt Mannering.

Congrats to all the winners, thoroughly deserved.

I have spoken to a couple of people that were at the awards and they have thrown up words like "amateurish" "unprepared" can people on here that were there please give your views as what I have been told the awards were a bit of a shambles with jibes being thrown at Owen Glenn etc. Is this the mindset of the club as a whole? I mean our two owners have had a massive public (dare I say it childish) spat, is this transferred to the club through management, players etc????

Hate to use Penrith as an example but they seem to exude professionalism and unity, something our mighty club looks to be lacking......just thought I would throw it out there.