General 2014 Warriors NYC U20 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
RidingPie

RidingPie

Theres a Wigan junior who is training with the U20's at the moment. Unsure if its on a trial basis or just an exchange thing we have with our sister club but there hasn't been much said about it from the club. From what I hear he's about 17 and plays in the halves. RidingPie Kittwazzer???

Sorry, I haven't had the chance to follow the me reserves since the family has come along (although all the games are on Wigan tv so I could have watched them.... I just chose to sleep instead :)

Reactions: 1 user
¿N. ig-mah¿

¿N. ig-mah¿

I heard a concerning story today, from a reasonably reliable source, that a highly regarded U20s player could have a bit of trouble on his hands. Too much alcohol and getting in the middle of business that probably didn't concern him could potentially risk his career, should matters go any further. I expect most teams and clubs to take a hard line on violence of any sort. His only saving grace is that it concerns a mate of his who may be unwilling to allow it to become a police matter to protect his friend.

The player knew he had gone too far immediately after, but its always too late when the deed is done. A stay in hospital for the other party and a serious jaw break being the result.

I, for one, hope it isn't as serious as I heard, and that it doesn't affect his career (as my source on the other side said it was just too much piss and unfortunate luck combined with too much strength and not enough restraint).

PolarBob

PolarBob

(...just too much piss and unfortunate luck combined with too much strength and not enough restraint).

Unconfirmed actions, etc., but that combination doesn't exactly cry out 'poor fella, let him off'. (Not a fan of pisshead culture).

Will be interesting to see what comes of your news. Fingers crossed that there's an error besides one the young fella may have made.

¿N. ig-mah¿

¿N. ig-mah¿

Unconfirmed actions, etc., but that combination doesn't exactly cry out 'poor fella, let him off'. (Not a fan of pisshead culture).

Will be interesting to see what comes of your news. Fingers crossed that there's an error besides one the young fella may have made.
Its by no means a Packer type incident. It was an over-reaction between mates, but it was a little excessive due to a lack of inhibition due to excess alcohol, on both sides of the situation.

But it does show these young guys need training on how to handle themselves in public, even when the public are their mates.

I'm not saying he should walk away scott-free, or face no consequences, but I would hate to see someone lose their career over the incident I heard. But there is a chance that clubs will over-react to anything involving violence to try to clean it out of the NRLs off-field reputation.

PolarBob

PolarBob

Its by no means a Packer type incident. It was an over-reaction between mates, but it was a little excessive due to a lack of inhibition due to excess alcohol, on both sides of the situation.

But it does show these young guys need training on how to handle themselves in public, even when the public are their mates.

I'm not saying he should walk away scott-free, or face no consequences, but I would hate to see someone lose their career over the incident I heard. But there is a chance that clubs will over-react to anything involving violence to try to clean it out of the NRLs off-field reputation.

All fair there. Any player runs the risk of earning the ire of their club, but especially in a club trying to change the top two inches. I'd expect the players know that, but the trick is realising that sometimes work and play are related. Sucky as it might be, in certain jobs there is little separation of the two.

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Just came back from watching the Warriors U20 Development squad take on the Auckland U18 Tongan Invitational team. Warriors were definitely a class above their opposition but the Tongan forward pack kept them in the game. The Warriors were leading by 6 points (4 tries to 3) after the 3rd quarter but ran away with the game in the last. Think they put on another 3-4 tries at the end.

Some great talent coming through. Was really impressed with the Warriors forwards. Some of these guys look the part already and they're only 17-18 years old. The young London Broncos lad, Joe Keyes, was playing #7. Didn't really stand out for me but he wasn't all that bad. The #6, Dan, was the better half of the two. Joe I was told will fly out next week. He has been staying with Jordan and Mason who were both at the game watching.

Not sure who the #11 and #12 were but they were great. Good solid running and an eye for the offload. #8 Fetule was also a standout. The person playing #1, think his name is Mossy, punched well above his weight and was able to bump off some of the much larger Tongan forwards. Dean Lonergan was there watching his son Liam play. Thought he was really busy on defence but had no impact at the line.

A lot of other players were good but I didn't know most of them. A few came from outside Auckland with a couple up from Palmy.

Great to kick off the league season and watch my first game of 2014. Cant wait for the trials and Nines...

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

slaughterhouse.sa

I heard a concerning story today, from a reasonably reliable source, that a highly regarded U20s player could have a bit of trouble on his hands. Too much alcohol and getting in the middle of business that probably didn't concern him could potentially risk his career, should matters go any further. I expect most teams and clubs to take a hard line on violence of any sort. His only saving grace is that it concerns a mate of his who may be unwilling to allow it to become a police matter to protect his friend.

The player knew he had gone too far immediately after, but its always too late when the deed is done. A stay in hospital for the other party and a serious jaw break being the result.

I, for one, hope it isn't as serious as I heard, and that it doesn't affect his career (as my source on the other side said it was just too much piss and unfortunate luck combined with too much strength and not enough restraint).

Well if you hope it doesnt affect his career...why would you be posting about online ...when there are no reports nor people talking about any incident

¿N. ig-mah¿

¿N. ig-mah¿

Well if you hope it doesnt affect his career...why would you be posting about online ...when there are no reports nor people talking about any incident
Hence the reason I didn't mention names. This site is full of stories of player activity. Why not post it, provided I don't give away the player?

Reactions: 1 users
Wellington Warrior

Wellington Warrior

Appears that the month long trial for Joe Keyes is over.. According to his twitter is heading (already gone?) back to the UK..

Reactions: 1 users
Sup42

Sup42

Just had a funny conversation with a longtime NYC player.

The Hell Camp was absolutely brutal! Said they started training at 8pm and didn't stop carrying sand bags till 3am. Wake up call was 2 hours later at 5am! Back on the grind. Was told they walked some 130kms over 3 days.
That is what the special forces do. Train without sleep. Sleep deprivation is big in the scheme of things and walking carrying weight continuously is another core training method.
Walk walk walk , carry weight , sleep deprive.
Apply some mental aptitude test ( orientation ) more walking , no sleep, Lots of yelling , more walking , no sleep , more yelling , Orientation exercise , sleep teaser , shock wake up , more walking , more carrying weight, more verbal tirades, food.
It's the nearest thing to legal / ethically acceptable torture.
If you make it through that you might.....might...be ready to enter the Qualification phase for the Unit.
Most people break or go quietly nuts. People who don't have showed some promise.
New Zealands tactics look pretty lame compared to the more dramatic stuff the Aussies and the Yanks do.
At the end of the Day NZ have an outstanding record in the 30 day special forces challenge, they win more often than most other countries who enter.

Sup42

Sup42

Appears that the month long trial for Joe Keyes is over.. According to his twitter is heading (already gone?) back to the UK..
From the tone of his other tweets I'm not surprised.
The kid is too young , he seemed to be counting down the days and looking forward to being back with his Family and Girl mates ( can't blame him for that ) he also mentioned trouble sleeping.

A Kid that young may come back one day when he's broken away from the strings of home. At least in the Warriors he seemed to be having a good / interesting time.

¿N. ig-mah¿

¿N. ig-mah¿

Someone help me here. Who was the guy spent a bit of time filling in in the halves last year, but moved to 13 when Lino? returned. Sam something, I think.

And is he still around (U20s, NSW Cup), or has he moved on.

Defence

Defence

Someone help me here. Who was the guy spent a bit of time filling in in the halves last year, but moved to 13 when Lino? returned. Sam something, I think.

And is he still around (U20s, NSW Cup), or has he moved on.

Sam cook? Liked the look of him- handy utility- halves, hooker, backrow-
Don't know what he's doing this year- would be interested to hear tho.
Sure someone can fill us in

¿N. ig-mah¿

¿N. ig-mah¿

Thats him. I thought we looked real good with him at 13. Played as an extra half and gave them endless options. I'm hoping he is still around, but didn't see him listed in U20s squad or in the Warriors V Warriors squad.

ramraider78

ramraider78

Signed with Burleigh Bears, I heard - agree with what you said,watched him play last year at local level, he had a good boot on him and confident controlling the game.

¿N. ig-mah¿

¿N. ig-mah¿

Just a quick update on the gossip I put in here earlier. The story I heard has changed slightly. The people who gave me the information got the surname wrong, which I am pleased about (I rate the player they originally named). It is not the up-and-comer I thought it was, but it must be a development player (I don't recognise the name). I don't think anything is going to come of it anyway. Still a shame that these guys can't learn to control themselves, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.