General 2014 Vulcanised Warriors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hitman82

Hitman82

Peyroux copped a one week suspension. Available for selection from Round 2.

Nothing against the guy but unless we suffer a major injury crisis Peyroux shouldn't make first grade this season.
Too sketchy positionally for the centres and not staunch enough for the forwards. I know people like his energetic approach but I see much of his style as unnecessary chaos.

That NSWarriors team looks fantastic. I guess they want Henry to develop his ball playing skills-not for the halves imo. Just named there to get the guy more involved in attack.

Vete is injured.

When Leuluai is fit, Friend will make a fine captain for this team.

Reactions: 2 users
Jay M

Jay M

Nothing against the guy but unless we suffer a major injury crisis Peyroux shouldn't make first grade this season.
Too sketchy positionally for the centres and not staunch enough for the forwards. I know people like his energetic approach but I see much of his style as unnecessary chaos.

That NSWarriors team looks fantastic. I guess they want Henry to develop his ball playing skills-not for the halves imo. Just named there to get the guy more involved in attack.

Vete is injured.

When Leuluai is fit, Friend will make a fine captain for this team.

And add a lot of experience to it as well. Be great for the younger players.

That being said - the way Friend played in the pre-season, I get the feeling he's not ready to hand on his #9 jersey to Leuluai just yet... not without a fight anyway. And that's a great thing IMO.

Reactions: 5 users
Hitman82

Hitman82

And add a lot of experience to it as well. Be great for the younger players.

That being said - the way Friend played in the pre-season, I get the feeling he's not ready to hand on his #9 jersey to Leuluai just yet... not without a fight anyway. And that's a great thing IMO.

I agree Friend looks great. But at the end of the day Elliott knows Leuluai offers more facets and will imo pick him as soon as he's ready.
During the return from injury we may see Thomas eased in via the bench though.

Jay M

Jay M

I agree Friend looks great. But at the end of the day Elliott knows Leuluai offers more facets and will imo pick him as soon as he's ready.
During the return from injury we may see Thomas eased in via the bench though.

Agree. my only concern still, is whether TL can play 80 mins at hooker... Even the likes of Jake Friend who has only really played one position (unlike Leuluai) only plays 60 mins most of the time.

And as much as I like and rate Friend - I'd hate to see a bench spot wasted on him It's like putting Lowrie on the bench...

Reactions: 1 user
95tilinfinity

95tilinfinity

https://www.nswrl.com.au/news/2014/03/04/vb_nsw_cup_team_lists_round_one.html

Wentworthville Magpies Vs NZ Warriors
Belmore Sports Ground, Saturday, March 8
Kick-off: 12.00pm
Referee: Adam Gee
Broadcast: Radio Coverage courtesy of Steele Sports Radio (Link available via
www.steelesports.com.au) and 2GLF FM 89.3 (Link available via 893fm.com.au)

MAGPIES – 1. JUSTIN HUNT 2. KEN SIO 3. RYAN MORGAN 4. API PEWHAIRAINGI 5. BURETA FARAIMO 6. TOBY EVANS 7. CHRIS SANDOW 26. TANIELA LASALO 9. LIAM FORAN 10. DANIEL ALVARO 11. JOSEPH UALESI 12. DANIEL HARRISON 13. LORENZO MA’AFU 14. BEN JONES 15. BRENDAN SANTI 16. PAT MATAELE 18. JOSEPH MATAPUKU COACH: BRETT COOK

WARRIORS – 1. STEVE WAETFORD 2. DAVID FUSITUA 3. KONRAD HURREL 4. NGANI LAUMAPE 5. JARRED WILSON 6. BEN HENRY 7. TUIMOALA LOLOHEA 8. SAM LISONE 9. MICHAEL SIO 10. CHARLIE GUBB 11. RAYMOND FAITALA-MARINRER 12. AGNATIUS PAASI 13. SEBASTINE IKAHIHIFOI 14. SILIVA HAVILI 15. UPU POCHING 16. DAVID BHANA 17. ABRAHAM PAPALII 18. JARROD TUA COACH: ROHAN SMITH

Theres some real quality in both teams. Little bit of a shame we don't get to watch it. Would love to watch Lolohea going up against Chrissy Sandow. Some great battles in the outside backs too with Sio and Morgan both first grade capable players up against our power packed centers and wingers.

Paulo24

Paulo24

Agree. my only concern still, is whether TL can play 80 mins at hooker... Even the likes of Jake Friend who has only really played one position (unlike Leuluai) only plays 60 mins most of the time.

And as much as I like and rate Friend - I'd hate to see a bench spot wasted on him It's like putting Lowrie on the bench...
I really think some maybe underestimating friends value to the team. TL is an excellent tackler and a bit more dynamic, however friends work rate is so invaluable to the team, I don't believe TL will compare on this front. Friend enables many of our forwards to stay fresh, while he is the fittest in team and can tackle all day. There will be negative aspects to dropping friendly for TL.

Juju

Interesting to note the new pommy boys will only be playing 20s.
I was expecting to see Jordan Baldwinson in the reserves at least having made a appearance for Leeds.

Jay M

Jay M

I really think some maybe underestimating friends value to the team. TL is an excellent tackler and a bit more dynamic, however friends work rate is so invaluable to the team, I don't believe TL will compare on this front. Friend enables many of our forwards to stay fresh, while he is the fittest in team and can tackle all day. There will be negative aspects to dropping friendly for TL.

The difference is the type of tackling they do though. There are times one will be better for the team, and times it will be better to have the other one there. Friend will play longer and make more tackles, Leuluai will make bigger hits in the middle and give up less ground in the middle. Leuluai has a kicking game that Friend doesn't have etc. I really like them both as players, but I think Leuluai is the way forward - the question remains whether he can play 80 mins in the number 9 jersey. Friend won't give up his jersey easily though. We're fortunate that we have two quality hookers really.

Reactions: 1 users
¿N. ig-mah¿

¿N. ig-mah¿

I have noticed over the end of the season and the pre-season this year that Friend spends a lot of time on the ground rolling out of the tackle. Because he is so small, he tends to end up on the bottom of the tackle. This means he can't get to his feet and into marker, which results in added pressure on the rest of the team. I love his fitness and dedication, but with another prospect in Leuluai (who can dominate in the tackle far better than Friend) for the role, he will just have to accept his age and his size are starting to catch up on him. If we could carry players just for the workrate (particularly if they are unable to be dominant) and determination, the team would be made up of old guys and reserve graders.

Paulo24

Paulo24

I have noticed over the end of the season and the pre-season this year that Friend spends a lot of time on the ground rolling out of the tackle. Because he is so small, he tends to end up on the bottom of the tackle. This means he can't get to his feet and into marker, which results in added pressure on the rest of the team. I love his fitness and dedication, but with another prospect in Leuluai (who can dominate in the tackle far better than Friend) for the role, he will just have to accept his age and his size are starting to catch up on him. If we could carry players just for the workrate (particularly if they are unable to be dominant) and determination, the team would be made up of old guys and reserve graders.
I also noticed last year his little body holding onto to Inglis' ankle and bringing others down who were destined for open pasture. I think we are unrealistically hopeful to expect 80 min full energy big hit displays from TL, he came on for spurt for the kiwis. Does anyone remember how Isaac Luke came on the scene Big Hits and all, and he had to tone down, too much damage will be down to these guys little bodies, easy enough to put on a hit on the edges, in the middle where traffic is flowing all day some serious damage will be young and TL ain't getting younger. Things will change a little. I'm not convinced TL is the way forward as hooker, hooker rotation yes, but no not our main stay. Anyway I'm just a newbie so I'll try and stay popular lol :)

slaughterhouse.sa

Interesting to note the new pommy boys will only be playing 20s.
I was expecting to see Jordan Baldwinson in the reserves at least having made a appearance for Leeds.

Will tkae the young poms time to adjust to footy down under imo.
I wouldn't be too harsh in first few rounds

Jay M

Jay M

I also noticed last year his little body holding onto to Inglis' ankle and bringing others down who were destined for open pasture. I think we are unrealistically hopeful to expect 80 min full energy big hit displays from TL, he came on for spurt for the kiwis. Does anyone remember how Isaac Luke came on the scene Big Hits and all, and he had to tone down, too much damage will be down to these guys little bodies, easy enough to put on a hit on the edges, in the middle where traffic is flowing all day some serious damage will be young and TL ain't getting younger. Things will change a little. I'm not convinced TL is the way forward as hooker, hooker rotation yes, but no not our main stay. Anyway I'm just a newbie so I'll try and stay popular lol :)

Don't worry about staying popular ;), speak your mind here and you'll be welcomed (provided it doesn't get personal). most people here love a good discussion about league, and all viewpoints are welcome. And I agree with what you're saying. One of the things we loved about Leuluai last year was having a half who could make his tackles. I also really rated his support play, which may die out a bit if we expect him to play 80 mins at hooker.

I guess in a few weeks, we'll see what Elliot's plan it, right now, with TL out - Friendy is playing and may he play well!

¿N. ig-mah¿

¿N. ig-mah¿

I've also seen Benry take Inglis down and Konrad run over the top of Inglis. There will be a story to suit every point of view. I am not against Friend, if he is our best option, but consistantly being dominated by the attackers isn't what we want or need. If we did, we would still have Pita Godinet playing off the bench.

I am not entirely against playing Leuluai as a joint hooker, but not with Friend. We need a strike weapon, such as what Godinet could do for us. If we can find another bench hooker like that, then I would be happy to see Leuluai play 50 minutes.

Don't feel like you have to hold your tongue being a "newbie", we were all new once. If you have a different view to someone, then let it out.

Reactions: 3 users
eX | Machina

eX | Machina

I've also seen Benry take Inglis down and Konrad run over the top of Inglis. There will be a story to suit every point of view. I am not against Friend, if he is our best option, but consistantly being dominated by the attackers isn't what we want or need. If we did, we would still have Pita Godinet playing off the bench.

I am not entirely against playing Leuluai as a joint hooker, but not with Friend. We need a strike weapon, such as what Godinet could do for us. If we can find another bench hooker like that, then I would be happy to see Leuluai play 50 minutes.

Don't feel like you have to hold your tongue being a "newbie", we were all new once. If you have a different view to someone, then let it out.

Being popular is overrated mate. Let er rip!

surfin

surfin

Like a couple of the others have said, speak your mind, as long as it doesn't get personal and even if it does it gets moved along pretty quickly anyway. You'll also find this is a pretty opinionated group so for everyone that thinks your a goose you'll find another that agrees with you. meaning most of the time your only half wrong.

Jay M

Jay M

Like a couple of the others have said, speak your mind, as long as it doesn't get personal and even if it does it gets moved along pretty quickly anyway. You'll also find this is a pretty opinionated group so for everyone that thinks your a goose you'll find another that agrees with you. meaning most of the time your only half wrong.

Generally speaking though - pretty good bunch of people on this forum (with the exception of myself), and if they disagree with you, it's usually constructive with decent reasons too ;)

now back to the topic... Vulcans are looking strong this weekend!

surfin

surfin

Generally speaking though - pretty good bunch of people on this forum (with the exception of myself), and if they disagree with you, it's usually constructive with decent reasons too ;)

now back to the topic... Vulcans are looking strong this weekend!

Considering the team named is potentially not even the strongest lineup I would expect them to be well in the top four, plus if the juniors continue as normal I really think we should have 3 teams playing footy in September. Of course this is the Warriors.

Status
Not open for further replies.