General 2014 Coaching Thread

Would you keep Matthew Elliot as Head Coach?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Danpatmac

Agreed. You dont hang around knowing you have lost the changing room.

McFadden isnt a bad option. Boys respect. He knows what he's talking about and can communicate that well...

so i know you have to be respectful of your sources Mt W. and I certainly don't expect you to rat them out... but what exactly is the problem in the players eyes?
Why is there a lack of respect etc?

slaughterhouse.sa

1st Grade Fringe
May 26, 2012
Agreed. You dont hang around knowing you have lost the changing room.

McFadden isnt a bad option. Boys respect. He knows what he's talking about and can communicate that well...

Yeah I dont even think about the changing room - I thin he was hired to make changes.
Which he has. He doesnt appear to have a massive ego like other coaches (sheens etc).
Elliot would be older???? 15 years of coaching first grade = enough money in the bank.

Reactions: mt.wellington

Viking

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 12, 2012
I put my money on him standing down anyway ...regardless if they are top 4, top 6 or dead last.
Mcfadden.....or possibly less likely Wane or Kidwell.

Nah he won't go unless it's hopeless or he is indeed being groomed for the coaching directors role (which doesn't actually exist yet right?).

Who would want to finish their coaching career on that note if they still believed in their own coaching ability and there was some glimmer of hope. He'll have to be pushed unless we finish the year 11th or worse.

What I find hard to understand is that we signed a guy with a 45% winning average at two other NRL clubs and expected that to dramatically improve here somehow.

Defence

Warriors 1st Grader
May 9, 2012
Side note - what's everyone's take on it... if we were to get rid of Elliot mid season - who would you all prefer? I think Sheens, Taylor, and Henry are all available... Would Kearney be interested in coaching the warriors? Would any of them be an improvement? Lots of questions, I don't know the answer...

Henry seems the best fit, I'd be happy with Taylor tho too.

Reactions: Jay M

Wellington Warrior

Warriors 1st Grader
May 15, 2012
Wellington, New Zealand
Taylor being Jason Taylor?? He was interviewed on 40/20 tonight at home with his kids and wife... Got the distinct impression he was more than happy not to be coaching again and preferred to be at home with the kids as opposed to relocating to another country and taking on a head coaches role!!

Haydos

1st Grade Fringe
May 18, 2012
Elliot is too nice, soft and buddy with players. We need a hard nosed coach.

Who's been the most successful coach in warriors history? Daniel Anderson..a no bullshit type coach.
Wasn't the reason he got sacked because the Polynesian players didn't like how hard he was and the way he talked to them?
He had a winning % off 55 and took them to a GF. Took para to a GF aswell

I say the warriors should put things aside and offer Anderson some big coin to come back. He's a great coach, still young (46)
He's the type of coach we need. If some of the players arnt professional or tough enough to handle his approach get rid of the player and not the coach.
The warriors decision making with hiring and firing coaches has been an absolute disgrace over their history.
Sacking Anderson was a big mistake, sacking cleary big mistake and the hiring of the last two muppets a joke.

Horriors2014

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 16, 2014
Side note - what's everyone's take on it... if we were to get rid of Elliot mid season - who would you all prefer? I think Sheens, Taylor, and Henry are all available... Would Kearney be interested in coaching the warriors? Would any of them be an improvement? Lots of questions, I don't know the answer...
I'd go for Henry or Kearney. I'd get Kearney in ASAP tbh. If they are going to sack ME after round 5 then Kearney has the best chance of resurrecting the season, for the simple fact of familiarity. But I'm not opposed to any experienced Aussie who doesn't have a long crap record.

Kearney would be an interesting experiment given he had a crap roster at Parra which the more experienced and highly-rated Stuart couldn't even resurrect. This would be a fairer chance for him. He knows the majority of players, he is one Maori player who had the right attitude on and off the field, values defence but does not stifle innovation. He demands perfection in preparation and has no qualms about dropping someone who doesn't perform. It could be perfect timing for both him and the club. The only thing is his contract with Brisbane..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings