General 2014 Coaching Thread

Would you keep Matthew Elliot as Head Coach?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
If we are to have a change of coach we need someone who is going to come in and change the playing roster and drop players who are not performing. The majority of the coaches that come into the Warriors see the playing roster and see potential and think they will be the ones to get the squad to play consistently and stick to game plans.

Most coaches come in and clean out the playing roster; sometimes in looks like it is an excuse to get their roster and to save them a year or two before they come under pressure. I was a bit worried we would go through something like that and a year or two of rebuilding. After making a grand final in 2011 I thought we could turn around last few years pretty quickly. Elliott hasn't put us through a rebuilding phase of a big clear out but he also has gone to far in the other direction where he doesn't drop players who have any type of name value.

The last few years quite a lot of teams have rebuilt or turned around bad year quickly by freshening up their player roster. If we decide we need a new coach we need someone that is not going to be interviewed and say how great our roster and how much potential it has. He needs to come in and say which players need to freed up and what positions need to filled.

If we are going to look for an experienced coach like the requirement was last time we should also look for an NRL experienced CEO.

Reactions: Sup42

PolarBob

Apr 8, 2012
The only difference is that Ivan introduced most of these guys to top grade. They owed him. They did not have the "brotherhood" yet. But they see themselves as veterans by the time the new coaches came along.
Wally Lewis was an actual veteran with an ego to match. He did not rate Bennett when the Broncos started and told him. Bennett asked him to remember playing for Wynnum-Manly against his Brisbane Souths team. Lewis's team lost despite being favourites due to his presence. Bennett explained that Lewis could only pass long to one side and had his players move up faster to nullify his distribution. Lewis got schooled and decided to follow his coach's instructions. Persuasion.

When Bennett correctly guessed that Lewis was past his use by he cut him. Went down quite badly and there was tack spitting o'plenty. He followed through and the players fell into line. Force of will.

Players follow instructions if the person who is saying them provides a basis for that belief. Even the most experienced players. They don't have to be Wayne Bennett for that to happen. But they obviously can't be ME.

eudebrito

|-|
Contributor
May 21, 2013
It's probably a month too early but I wouldn't be surprised that after the next shit fest (due in rd 9 against the raiders I wager) to see an early announcement that 1) ME will not be coaching next year, and the search for a new head coach starts now, and 2) contracts for next year will be based on performances over the next 16 games, and ME will oversee the rest of the season and his feedback will be taken into account by the incoming coaches for who stays and who goes. If they want a decent head coach get a head start on it, but I don't think ME deserves the ignominy of a mid season sacking, when the players aren't putting on a regular basis. And it might give him freedom to start dropping under achievers if the decision has already been made.

Sort of a combination of what the eels and cowboys did last year, puts the pressure directly on the players, realistically the core of next years team is already here, but a decent threat couldn't hurt. Also important to do it while there is still something to play for or it'll just be the tony iro era over again. If they just let ME play out the string hoping something will happen, that's just kicking the can down the road.

PolarBob

Apr 8, 2012
Can someone tell me who this Gilbert coach is that fans r goin on about on zb
Any more on who this is, Harlz? What where they on about?

I assume slaughterhouse.sa , ramraider78 , or Viking Viking will have their ear to the ground. Only Gilbert I know is the Jason that used to play for Wainuiomata back in the day. Was a development officer for Wellington RU last I heard. Got sick of getting no support in league and got plenty of resources in union.

Horriors2014

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 16, 2014
Any more on who this is, Harlz? What where they on about?

I assume slaughterhouse.sa , ramraider78 , or Viking Viking will have their ear to the ground. Only Gilbert I know is the Jason that used to play for Wainuiomata back in the day. Was a development officer for Wellington RU last I heard. Got sick of getting no support in league and got plenty of resources in union.

I remember Jason. Shucks that was a golden era for them.

eudebrito

|-|
Contributor
May 21, 2013
what about round 6 v Bulldogs @ Eden Pk

I think we are going to get royally fucked.

Nah, they'll try hard this weekend, might still loose, but they'll be okay. Then dragons, still too soon for another meltdown, then storm that's a reliable performance, then raiders at home - there's your sweet spot of Eden park, un fancied opposition they don't respect, a months gone by since the last debacle and bam there's your 30 - 10 home defeat and "our preparation was really good, if we knew the answers we wouldn't be doing this...."

Jay M

Warriors 1st Grader
Sep 25, 2012
Back in Auckland
Nah, they'll try hard this weekend, might still loose, but they'll be okay. Then dragons, still too soon for another meltdown, then storm that's a reliable performance, then raiders at home - there's your sweet spot of Eden park, un fancied opposition they don't respect, a months gone by since the last debacle and bam there's your 30 - 10 home defeat and "our preparation was really good, if we knew the answers we wouldn't be doing this...."

I'm not convinced... didn't we give up 18 point leads two weeks in succession not that long ago? ;)

Viking

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 12, 2012
Elliots contract finishes this year right? If we don't look like making the finals this year, I think he'll jump before he's pushed and never coach again.

My fear is that we'll get close but just miss out by a point or two like last year and that'll be enough for him to get an extension, then we'll be in for another year or two of mediocrity. It's not a con job on his behalf, he genuinelly believes he can turn it all around just like every coach before him but he just isn't ruthless enough and the players don't fear him and subsequently, don't respect him. Only he can change that.

Ivan wasn't ruthless, he wasn't fond of dropping underperforming players either but he kept his distance from the players. He didn't look like crying in press conferences though nor did he get bewildered or blindsided by extremely poor performances, it's almost as if he expected them.

Wane would be the ideal pick out of any of the mad bastards that would consider coaching here but he's signed the extension with Wigan and I don't see him coming over.

There is no realistic answer to this problem.

Reactions: Haydos

slaughterhouse.sa

1st Grade Fringe
May 26, 2012
Elliots contract finishes this year right? If we don't look like making the finals this year, I think he'll jump before he's pushed and never coach again.

My fear is that we'll get close but just miss out by a point or two like last year and thatll be enough for him to get an extension then we'll be in for another year or two of mediocrity. It's not a con job on his behalf, he genuinelly believes he can turn it all around just like every coach before him but he just isn't ruthless enough and the players don't fear him. Only he can change that.

Ivan wasn't ruthless, he wasn't fond of dropping underperforming players either but he kept his distance from the players. He didn't look like crying in press conferences though nor did he get bewildered or blindsided by extremely poor performances, it's almost as if he expected them.

Wane would be the ideal pick out of any of the mad bastards that would consider coaching here but he's signed the extension with Wigan and I don't see him coming over.

There is no realistic answer to this problem.

I put my money on him standing down anyway ...regardless if they are top 4, top 6 or dead last.
Mcfadden.....or possibly less likely Wane or Kidwell.

Reactions: mt.wellington

Jay M

Warriors 1st Grader
Sep 25, 2012
Back in Auckland
Side note - what's everyone's take on it... if we were to get rid of Elliot mid season - who would you all prefer? I think Sheens, Taylor, and Henry are all available... Would Kearney be interested in coaching the warriors? Would any of them be an improvement? Lots of questions, I don't know the answer...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings