General 2014 Coaching Thread

Would you keep Matthew Elliot as Head Coach?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidMcKay1974

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 28, 2013
No, not all am I saying we played crap in all those games. Of course we all know you can play a great game, but still lose.
What I AM saying is that it's all to easy to blame a crap performance on the old 'Hoodoo' thing.

Don't let's blame a poor Coach.
Don't let's blame gutless, lazy, lethargic and downright dismal player performances.

Oh yes.....of course......it's the HOODOO.

And I'm not saying that a ground where historically we never too well can't have an impact in the minds of certain players.
But I AM saying that it's part of a Coach's job to get those negative thoughts out of players minds.
Positivity.
Don't see much of that in the current set up.

But hey.......maybe it will all end positively.

"The Silver Lining Playbook" !!

Not that I'm wanting to get in a debating contest with you because I can't afford to but I need to say this.

Yesterday up until the game we had lost our last 5 games against the Sharks. Do i put that down to Hoo doos. Some of them yes.

Do I put yesterday's game down a hoo doo. No, we played utter crap and we deserved to lose.

I'm blaming Elliott too, he deserves to go.
I'm blaming some players too, like Friend and Mateo, because Friend was the cause of those tackle penalties we got.

I know the difference between a hoo doo, and no hoo doo.

The game against the Cowboys, was a hoo doo we needed to break because we played well.

That's all I'm going to say about that.

wallacenz

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
But do you not see that Kidwell will not come, nor anyone else. When 2 separate coaches have 'lostthe changing room' it no longer has anything to do with the coach.
They can get whoever they want for the right price, use some of these merchandising proceeds (best in the NRL so I hear)

Dropped Balls

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 5, 2012
Not that I'm wanting to get in a debating contest with you because I can't afford to but I need to say this.

Yesterday up until the game we had lost our last 5 games against the Sharks. Do i put that down to Hoo doos. Some of them yes.

Do I put yesterday's game down a hoo doo. No, we played utter crap and we deserved to lose.

I'm blaming Elliott too, he deserves to go.
I'm blaming some players too, like Friend and Mateo, because Friend was the cause of those tackle penalties we got.

I know the difference between a hoo doo, and no hoo doo.

The game against the Cowboys, was a hoo doo we needed to break because we played well.

That's all I'm going to say about that.

OK mate. That's fair enough.
And this is my last word on it as well.!!

We all have our own ideas about things, and are all entitled to say them. Of course. No question there.
But the bottom line is that at the moment our Coach and our team are a bloody disgrace, and things have got to change.
Hoodoos or not.
I think that yesterday's apparent lack of commitment was a real eye-opener for many.
And I think that many people who had previously held fire over a sense of loyalty to club, coach and players have now decided that this was a bridge too far.

So, to quote the old Sam Cooke song, "A Change is Going to Come...."

Let's hope he's right.

Far Away Fan

But do you not see that Kidwell will not come, nor anyone else. When 2 separate coaches have 'lostthe changing room' it no longer has anything to do with the coach.

Not necessarily. They might both be total tossbags.

If I was a mere foot soldier and my General said "Follow your sergeant! Over that cliff!" then I'd tell him to fuck off, no matter how many stars he had.

"Losing the changing room" isn't something that happens overnight. That dishonour has to be earned.

I think that Kidwell would come if he had the opportunity. The man has ambition.

Reactions: Dropped Balls

Blindside

1st Grade Fringe
May 24, 2012
I don't believe the club can afford to change the coach. It would be a clear signal that "player power" had won.
The inmates would be running the asylum.
We have to let Matty nut it out. I am sure when it becomes "them or me" he will decide to make the hard decisions.

Funny that Bell & Scurrah are not standing behind him.
When was the last time Bell made a really good signing? And really bad ones?

For me a symptom of this touchy feeley attitude was re-signing Ropati. The fact he was put into the top team shows what a lack of depth we have. I know people have said he was cheap back-up, good team man etc. I have one criterion: Will he win us a Grand Final. No? On your bike. There is a dire need for bikes at Mt Smart.

And while the club is disintegrating what is Wonder Wayne doing? Sorting out another jersey design or working on getting more games to Eden Park?

Just a question. Do all the teams stay together when they are away from home?

Reactions: Hitman82

Tim burgess

1st Grade Fringe
May 20, 2012
Changes of personnel are required for sure.

When a coach talks about the effort was there, but the execution was poor that tells me 3 things.

A - the players are not good enough
B - the coach is not getting enough out of the players
C - the coach is unable to up skill the players

What I see there us couple off major problems and it's about the quality and depth of the squad, and the coach

Sebastian

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 13, 2012

I've raised this point before but it looks as though it got lost. What are you missing is the obvious point that all the coaches we have replaced Cleary with have been utter shit.

Bluey: Maybe not the worst coach per say but the most limited in the intelligence stakes. Quite possibly.

Elliot: Possibly the worst coach in the comp with such hatred and vile directed at him like no other coach i've ever seen. And this is the man we lose players for? Potenially quality players? We send a message for him?

Our boys deserve better and we have served them up shit. Lower class coaches. And that has to stop and be rectified. Our boys damn sure have not been playing with the cream of the crop. Have no illusions there.

PolarBob

Apr 8, 2012

Players have responsibility to bear. Ivan didn't lose the changing room, but those two have. The players and people like Gould rate Ives. My point? When coaches that are actually rated get the same result, then you've got my attention. Until then, CEO and Coach goes and the new blood decide which players get phased out. And we all do the dance again.

Jay M

Warriors 1st Grader
Sep 25, 2012
Back in Auckland
???

Didnt he sign Sam Tomkins and Jayson Bukuya? Also responsible for securing Albie Vete and Solo Kata. Add to that Ngani and Konrad...

liking for the first bit... securing our key juniors should be the bare minimum we expect from our recruitment guys... sure, we'll lose some from time to time, but we should secure most of the gun ones.

Sebastian

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 13, 2012
Players have responsisbility to bear. Ivan didn't lose the changing room, but those two have. The players rated Ives. My point? When coaches that are actually rated get the same result, then you've got my attention. Until then, CEO and Coach goes and they decide which players get phased out. And we all do the dance again.

Not only that PB but when Owen took over he sought no advise from anyone that we know of. And basically signed an first grade coach on personal vibes. Like he thought Elliot was such a nice sincere man he couldn't possibly be the worst coach in the entire comp. Right? WRONG! He was the worst who had left Penrith in disgrace and left them in utter shambles.

Like i said i dearly hope for the next coach in line Owen seeks as much advise as possible from as many quarters as possible. The coach is the tempest, and is crucial in recruitment, man management, and also coaching interaction. It's just too crucial to fuck up. And lets face it we have fucked up twice. With two of the worst selections management could ever have hoped to have made.

Last edited:

¿N. ig-mah¿

Warriors 1st Grader
May 1, 2012
Invercargill
Not necessarily. They might both be total tossbags.

If I was a mere foot soldier and my General said "Follow your sergeant! Over that cliff!" then I'd tell him to fuck off, no matter how many stars he had.

"Losing the changing room" isn't something that happens overnight. That dishonour has to be earned.

I think that Kidwell would come if he had the opportunity. The man has ambition.
and a term with the Warriors would put paid to any ambitions he had.

Reactions: Dropped Balls

¿N. ig-mah¿

Warriors 1st Grader
May 1, 2012
Invercargill
I've raised this point before but it looks as though it got lost. What are you missing is the obvious point that all the coaches we have replaced Cleary with have been utter shit.

Bluey: Maybe not the worst coach per say but the most limited in the intelligence stakes. Quite possibly.

Elliot: Possibly the worst coach in the comp with such hatred and vile directed at him like no other coach i've ever seen. And this is the man we lose players for? Potenially quality players? We send a message for him?

Our boys deserve better and we have served them up shit. Lower class coaches. And that has to stop and be rectified. Our boys damn sure have not been playing with the cream of the crop. Have no illusions there.
The players could very well be a part of the reason we can't get quality coaches. It is apparent to the top coaches these guys think they are the shit, and we the public continue to bow to them. They wield more power than any other clubs players. Our boys deserve nothing. They arrived full of potential and that is what most of them are still getting picked on. Potential means jack. I have the potential to become VERY rich, but I just have to pick 6 correct numbers first.

I have not said Elliot is our saviour. I don't think it is about him delivering us a Premiership anymore. It isn't even about him at all. It is about gaining control of the club. If we could do that AND replace Elliot at the same time, then lets do it, but I can't see we could possibly attraqct anyone better with two coaches in a row being lynched by the players.

¿N. ig-mah¿

Warriors 1st Grader
May 1, 2012
Invercargill
Players have responsibility to bear. Ivan didn't lose the changing room, but those two have. The players and people like Gould rate Ives. My point? When coaches that are actually rated get the same result, then you've got my attention. Until then, CEO and Coach goes and the new blood decide which players get phased out. And we all do the dance again.
The only difference is that Ivan introduced most of these guys to top grade. They owed him. They did not have the "brotherhood" yet. But they see themselves as veterans by the time the new coaches came along.

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
liking for the first bit... securing our key juniors should be the bare minimum we expect from our recruitment guys... sure, we'll lose some from time to time, but we should secure most of the gun ones.
In Albert Vete case he was approached by Dean Bell while he was playing Union for St Kents and in the ARFU (Auckland) Development program. Albie was happy with what Dean offered him in terms of a pathway and it was Dean that sealed the deal for him.

The Warriors have a scout that scans the junior Union scene exclusively for them. Forget his name. But any Union convert we have secured of late you can put down to him scoping them and Dean getting them over the line...

Reactions: Jay M

Jay M

Warriors 1st Grader
Sep 25, 2012
Back in Auckland
In Albert Vete case he was approached by Dean Bell while he was playing Union for St Kents and in the ARFU (Auckland) Development program. Albie was happy with what Dean offered him in terms of a pathway and it was Dean that sealed the deal for him.

The Warriors have a scout that scans the junior Union scene exclusively for them. Forget his name. But any Union convert we have secured of late you can put down to him scoping them and Dean getting them over the line...

one thing I will say - we've retained more than we lost (junior wise) since Bell has had the post... and there's been no SBW stolen from our nursery...

Dropped Balls

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 5, 2012
I don't believe the club can afford to change the coach. It would be a clear signal that "player power" had won.
The inmates would be running the asylum.
We have to let Matty nut it out. I am sure when it becomes "them or me" he will decide to make the hard decisions.

Fair enough.

But someone should tell him THAT TIME HAS COME......

Tim burgess

1st Grade Fringe
May 20, 2012
It's easy to replace a coach, than 5 or 6 players.

Coaches will come, as somebody will always want the challenge of nrl coaching gig.

Inruin

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
May 19, 2012
Auckland
Time to get this thread happening again, after the train wreck that was the match vs. the Sharks.

I have it on good authority that ME has lost the dressing room, which suggests that last weekend's try fest against the Tigers was am anomaly, that it happened more through luck than good judgement and that we can expect more of yesterday's rubbish.

This situation can't be allowed to continue. Elliott has to go! :rage:

Bring in David Kidwell, please. He's a passionate New Zealander who will command respect and who's done his time as an assistant coach under the master, Craig Bellamy.
David fucking Kidwell, no fucking way.

Reactions: Haydos
Status
Not open for further replies.

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings