General 2014 Coaching Thread

Would you keep Matthew Elliot as Head Coach?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
Thought Id start a new thread for the Coaching staff. Lot of bad blood in Matt Elliotts thread and theres been a few great pieces come to light already this year but are scattered across different threads.

Interview with Matt Elliott by Simon Doull during a break in the cricket. Posted on the SKY TV Facebook page on 8th February 2014...

Also from the same day. An article first posted by Freddie Futler Freddie Futler in the Matt Elliott End of Season Report Card (end of page)

NRL: Warriors focus on NRL title

By Michael Brown

5:30 AM Saturday Feb 8, 2014

• SCCZEN_A_180813NZHGBWARRIORS22_300x200.jpg

Warriors coach Matthew Elliott. Photo / Greg Bowker

With most league interest focused on next weekend's Auckland Nines, it's easy to forget the Warriors, like all clubs, are preparing for an assault on a more prestigious prize.

The Warriors begin their NRL pre-season campaign in earnest tomorrow when they take on Gold Coast at North Harbour Stadium. They have named a side with a smattering of first-grade regulars headed by centre Konrad Hurrell, Suaia Matagi, Ngani Laumape and Dominique Peyroux as well as dose of youngsters and fringe players as they look to juggle their personnel with a busy fortnight.

The Warriors take on Wigan in Hamilton on Wednesday and round out against the Broncos in Dunedin on February 23. They open their NRL campaign against the Eels on March 9.

"We have a lot of football in front of us in the space of eight days with the trials against the Titans and Wigan as well as the nines so it's a bit of a jigsaw puzzle putting all our sides together," Warriors coach Matt Elliott said.

"Our priority is that Brisbane trial in Dunedin and we will approach that with our best team. We have guys who played a lot of footy last year. I obviously want to start the season really positively but I also need to manage them. If I start really whacking into guys like Manu [Vatuvei], Simon [Mannering], Thomas [Leuluai] and Shaun [Johnson] now they will be a spent force halfway through the year."

It has allowed Elliott to look a lot more closely at a number of youngsters and fringe players who have been training fulltime with the first-grade squad and he's encouraged by what he's seen.

The Warriors coach is in a much better place to assess his side after 12 months in the job and has approached pre-season training much differently. It can only be hoped it translates to better success in the first half of the year.

They won only two of their first 10 matches which had a significant bearing on their inability to make the top eight. They then went on a run of seven wins in eight games and looked destined for a place in the playoffs before running out of steam at the end of the season.

"Everything is different this year," Elliott said. "The guys have come back in great shape.

"I understand the group better and they understand me better so we have a clearer understanding of how we work best. My perception was based around operating in another culture. The differences aren't massive but they are different.

"We have been far more settled and there's a lot more trust. I was the fourth head coach in 12 months. Regardless of who came in, there was going to be a fairly extended sizing up period. The feel around the place is very different."

The Titans will bring a strong squad for tomorrow's game.
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11198156

Another interesting piece. This time a radio interview on LiveSPORT with Nathan Friend first posted by InsideBall InsideBall on the Warriors Offseason/Preseason 2014 thread

Has anyone posted this?:

https://www.radiolivesport.co.nz/Nathan-Friend/tabid/454/articleID/17409/Default.aspx

Friendy on the trial/preseason.

I found it really interesting, right at the start of the interview, Friend talks about the coaching restructure with McFadden running the attack, Henry the defence and Elliott overseeing... he said the restructure put them miles ahead of where they were last year. It seems with McFadden running the attack we have so much more structure and clarity about our plays. I reckon this change could be absolutely huge for us this year.
https://www.nzwarriors.com/threads/warriors-offseason-preseason-2014.17431/page-36#ixzz2umbhyy6C
https://www.nzwarriors.com/threads/warriors-offseason-preseason-2014.17431/page-36#ixzz2umbhyy6C

Most interesting is an article from today. Some great insight into the man running the show and his thoughts on the team this year. Also a mention of Locke becoming a Hohaia V2.0 utility bench player...

Time for Warriors coach to prove his worth
DAVE LONG
Last updated 05:00 02/03/2014

9779810.jpg

PHIL WALTER/ Getty
WARRIORS COACH: Matt Elliott.

For most coaches, the first year in a job is about finding your feet and moulding the squad to how you want it.

Unless things went disastrously bad, it isn't until the second season where they get judged on results and the heat goes on. Welcome to year two of your contract Matt Elliott.

He has brought in just three players for the season, Sam Tomkins from Wigan, and both Jayson Bukuya and Chad Townsend from the Sharks.

Not much of a dramatic change, then, but Elliott expects there to be differences this year, especially given the extra time he's had to work with the squad.

After a season of bedding in, Elliott believes he and his players are finally on the same page this season.

"The obvious difference is that I've been here over 12 months and I've had an opportunity to adapt to the players and vice versa," Elliott said.

"So the environment around the playing group is very different, it's not about them adjusting to me, it's also about me allowing other staff to take on bigger roles as well, so I think our functionality is massively higher."

At the beginning of last year Elliott and the players were still going through that "getting to know you" phase. As a result, Elliott had to keep the game plan simple.

While that's changed slightly, Elliott says he hasn't tried to complicate things and, importantly, has also allowed the senior players to have more of an input this time around.

"You get the opportunity to put some intricacies in, but really even if you look at the Broncos trial, there was some really good skill demonstrated there," he said.

"But that was more to do with the players understanding and being comfortable in what they're doing and we've been able to entrench that.

"We went through a pretty heavy consultative process with the senior players and talked about what they believed and we weren't aligned in every department there, so we thrashed it out and probably moved in their direction in most cases.

"So they own the decision and now we're doing things in a manner that allows us to play our best footy."

There are a couple of big selection issues Elliott is going to have to face over the course of the campaign. One is how to deal with the enigma that is Kevin Locke and the other is how to introduce the large number of talented young players who've played well enough to demand game time in the NRL.

Players like David Fusitua, Tuimoala Lolohea, Siliva Havili, Solomone Kata and Adam Tuimavave-Gerrard, Albert Vete and others can't be held down for too long.

"There is some balance applied to that, but really whoever is playing best is going to be in the team," Elliott said.

"If we keep it that simple and keep people healthy, then the competition we need in the squad will really drive itself along."

And to Locke, who has lost the No 1 jersey to Tomkins. What will Elliott do with him?

"The easiest way to answer that is that if Kevin is playing his best football and is doing it on a consistent basis, he's in our best 13. So I'm looking forward to having that headache."

It's inconceivable that Locke will play ahead of Tomkins at fullback, but from the way Elliott speaks he sees Locke as a utility player.

"The beauty of him is that he can play in every position in the backs and if I had him on the bench and a hooker fell over, I could use him there as well," Elliott said.

"At the moment we've got a great deal of versatility with him, but a real focus is just getting him fit again.

"It's not one of the selection headaches I'm focusing on at the moment. The ones I'm focusing on are the ones where guys are sticking their hands up and more than 17 who have done that."

Elliott's contract expires at the end of the season and, unlike the ridiculous haste there was to re-appoint Sir John Kirwan at the Blues, it appears there's no rush from either Elliott or the club to get things sorted soon.

"There are always on-going conversations, but honestly my whole focus is on 2014 and doing well this year," he said.

"It's not in the forefront of my thinking. There are obviously other coaches that want to make sure they feel secure with their tenure, but as far as I'm concerned, I'm not worried about it at all."

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/9779805/Time-for-Warriors-coach-to-prove-his-worth

Really like the idea of putting the onus on the senior players. At the end of the day its they who are on the field playing...

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
The question I want answered is whether Elliot is going to go with the bigger forwards in his Roster.

Interesting , I think Lockes on the outer.

The last time Elliot talked about him he said when he is fit he is in the 13.

he's added " playing his best football consistently" well that's a bit of a mountain for kevin.

Last edited:

matiunz

All Out!
Contributor
Jul 15, 2013
Sydney
Make or break year I guess but theres alot to be positive about so far, noticed on alot of the Aussie teams forums that theres ALOT of hate towards ME with many of them naming him as the sole reason why they think we wont win it. Does anyone know what Elliot did to deserve the hate or is it a bit of sour grapes?

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
Make or break year I guess but theres alot to be positive about so far, noticed on alot of the Aussie teams forums that theres ALOT of hate towards ME with many of them naming him as the sole reason why they think we wont win it. Does anyone know what Elliot did to deserve the hate or is it a bit of sour grapes?
This was covered at length on the numerous coach threads but he was hated by both Raiders and Panthers fans alike. He was even getting death threats at Penrith. His most outspoken critic would be League Freak by a mile. You read some of the venom he spits Elliotts way here:

https://www.leaguefreak.com/matthew-elliott-to-coach-the-new-zealand-warriors-in-2013-3316/

Search the Greenhouse forum as well and you wont have to go far to find anti-Elliott posts. Some of the posts are pure evil...

Reactions: matiunz

mrblonde

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 14, 2012
Auckland
Still has yet to win a finals game. I'm picking 2014 he'll be able to draw a line through that criticism.

But unless there's really serious reasons why the team don't make the finals in 2014 then he's a goner. And by "really serious" I'm talking 5-6 regular NRL players (I'm thinking Matulino, Rapira, Tomkins, Johnson, Friend say) all being out long term at the same time with injury.

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
Elliott has mentioned a few times about how last year there was a lot of relationship building between the players and his new coaching staff and they were a bit behind in terms of preparation needing with him needing to hire staff and sort out facilities. Of course the signing of staff and facilities wouldn't be mentioned this time last year as it doesn't bring confidence for the upcoming year so you get the standard great preparation.

I'm willing to give him that as last year there was still a lot of confidence issues from 2012 that needed to dealt with in the early rounds as we couldn't close off games. A lot of teams get new coaches coming in have a mass clean out so the new coach gets the players they want. We have had a lot of players leave and our recruitment has been towards specific areas. I'd say he has the roster he wants so it is fair to start judging him and his coaching staff on what we see on the field in terms of results, strategy, execution etc.

The Nathan Friend interview from last week posted in one of the other threads sounds like the changes in coaching role assignments seem to be working. The changes to the development of our pathways are also another positive as it looks like our youngsters look closer to being ready when the do debut in first grade.

Elliott was lucky we plucked him off the NRL scrapheap as it looked like his future would be assistant coaching gigs. He landed here with a reasonably strong roster and at a time the owners were willing to invest to make this club work. He's never had the facilities or the roster he has now; for a coach with his experience I think it's fair to expect results.

If I could give our coaches or players one message it would be. There is a lot of positive vibes around the club at the moment; don't fuck it up.

Two notes:
Sorry for the rant; I was trying to shorten it.;)
I know this is overly positive (I'm not Matt Elliott honest) but I'm not big on always blaming the coach and sack the coach. To me that option should be reserved for when there is a major player(s) vs coach dramas or the coach is horribly out of their depth.

Gizzyfan

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 2, 2013
Elliott has mentioned a few times about how last year there was a lot of relationship building between the players and his new coaching staff and they were a bit behind in terms of preparation needing with him needing to hire staff and sort out facilities. Of course the signing of staff and facilities wouldn't be mentioned this time last year as it doesn't bring confidence for the upcoming year so you get the standard great preparation.

I'm willing to give him that as last year there was still a lot of confidence issues from 2012 that needed to dealt with in the early rounds as we couldn't close off games. A lot of teams get new coaches coming in have a mass clean out so the new coach gets the players they want. We have had a lot of players leave and our recruitment has been towards specific areas. I'd say he has the roster he wants so it is fair to start judging him and his coaching staff on what we see on the field in terms of results, strategy, execution etc.

The Nathan Friend interview from last week posted in one of the other threads sounds like the changes in coaching role assignments seem to be working. The changes to the development of our pathways are also another positive as it looks like our youngsters look closer to being ready when the do debut in first grade.

Elliott was lucky we plucked him off the NRL scrapheap as it looked like his future would be assistant coaching gigs. He landed here with a reasonably strong roster and at a time the owners were willing to invest to make this club work. He's never had the facilities or the roster he has now; for a coach with his experience I think it's fair to expect results.

If I could give our coaches or players one message it would be. There is a lot of positive vibes around the club at the moment; don't fuck it up.

Two notes:
Sorry for the rant; I was trying to shorten it.;)
I know this is overly positive (I'm not Matt Elliott honest) but I'm not big on always blaming the coach and sack the coach. To me that option should be reserved for when there is a major player(s) vs coach dramas or the coach is horribly out of their depth.

You should always blame the coach, particularly the Warriors coach. It is plainly obvious he sends them onto the field with the express instructions to resembling uncaring dopey headless chooks. Major mixing of metaphors there I realise.

Reactions: Sup42 and surfin

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
While we are on coaches it will be interesting to see how the new NSW Cup coach goes. He's had a stint here before and has a bit of experience.

The new strategy where the 20's play some NSW Cup before graduating first grade means he is going to be a key member in our development pathways for our juniors.

brightman

1st Grade Fringe
May 18, 2012
Auckland
I'm enjoying how The Warriors are shaping up and feel ME has alot to do with orchestrating that. I reckon he and the Johns brothers must have done plenty of surfin and talking footy during the year or so they were commentating together, he seems to have a vision of how The Warriors should play unique to other coaching philosophies around the NRL and has the support of management (i.e. recruitment, support staff and restructuring as in aligning 3 grades of footy within the club.

Hopefully the performances and results will reign down

Freddie Futler

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 10, 2013
Tauranga
Well, I am an ME fanboi and am so looking forward to Sunday.
The positive atmosphere that he has created and the fact that he has all the guys wanting to fight for the right to play in our team and not expecting to rock up and play like crap and still keep their spot has me all excited.
If we do not recieve too many early season injuries I believe that this will be our GF year.
Lets gone ME

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
Well, I am an ME fanboi and am so looking forward to Sunday.
The positive atmosphere that he has created and the fact that he has all the guys wanting to fight for the right to play in our team and not expecting to rock up and play like crap and still keep their spot has me all excited.
If we do not recieve too many early season injuries I believe that this will be our GF year.
Lets gone ME
Amen
And he has heard Hitman82's Sermon to upgrade our skinny's with the Bouncer pack 2002 style.
That is the recipe for some dominance. Leagues a power game. Palavi Lousi and Bukuya all tried to hurt people last week...Josh Hoffman got a bit of Love a couple of times....Haynes turn this week.

mrblonde

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 14, 2012
Auckland
While we are on coaches it will be interesting to see how the new NSW Cup coach goes. He's had a stint here before and has a bit of experience.

The new strategy where the 20's play some NSW Cup before graduating first grade means he is going to be a key member in our development pathways for our juniors.

Seeing how Rohan Smith and Stacey Jones go adds another layer of interest to the year.

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
Talk of the Wiki directive that Konrad not play ( if true ) is good team work by the staff.

Wiki should have that level of push in the organisation.

He is after all the final word on toughening up and being professional at the Warriors.

Another tick in the box for the Coaching staff.

Hitman82

1st Grade Fringe
May 18, 2012
Wellington
Talk of the Wiki directive that Konrad not play ( if true ) is good team work by the staff.

Wiki should have that level of push in the organisation.

He is after all the final word on toughening up and being professional at the Warriors.

Another tick in the box for the Coaching staff.

Wait up, where did this come from? I totally missed that scandalous little snippet!

Reactions: Apus

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
It should be up to the strength and conditioning staff to say whether a player has the conditioning to last the amount of time the coach needs them to play; similar to a doctor saying if an injured player is ready to come back. It should be their arses on the line if they say the player is ready for 80 and he gases after 50.

Hurrell coming back overweight should be made to work his way back into the team. He also needs to fit enough that we don't need an insurance policy on the bench. I'm ok if it came from Wiki to not select him.

Reactions: Hitman82

Hitman82

1st Grade Fringe
May 18, 2012
Wellington
Yes to all the above; coaches clearly cconsult with their trainers in regards to individual player's fitness. I just want to know how this specific information was released

Reactions: way2sharp

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
Wait up, where did this come from? I totally missed that scandalous little snippet!
The Team Versus Para Eels thread.
I have it on good authority that Konrad's absence is a directive from Ruben Wiki.

He didn't come through Wiki's fitness camp for the fatty's well at all.

Yup it seemed Koni didn't respond to alot of Wikis messages about putting down the cooked pig and chickens and get his arse to one of his fitness trainings. Well I hope Koni learns his lesson.

Reactions: Apus and Hitman82

Apus

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 6, 2012
The Team Versus Para Eels thread.
Welp, I hope this is a major wake up call to Konrad, and to the rest of the team too. Last year players were coasting and still getting picked, in fact it was happening a LOT. Right from round 1 we see someone who hasn't put in the effort get his ass kicked out of the team, I like this a lot, long may it continue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings