General 2014 Auckland Rugby League Competition

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
ARL_TD_Header.jpg
Appliance Shed Presents

The Auckland Rugby League Fox Memorial, SAS Sharman Cup, Mandron Masonry and Phelan Shied Minor Finals!

The Trusts Arena
Saturday 23rd August 2014
Gates Open at 9.00am

https://www.thetrustsstadium.co.nz/

More Information
Tickets - General Admission

TICKETS AVAILABLE FROM THE GATES AT THE EVENT FROM 9.90AM ON EVENT DAY

Family Pass 2A + 4C - $ 32.00
Adult (16 yrs & Over) - $ 12.00
Children (5 yrs to 15yrs) - $ 5.00
Under 5 yrs - Free

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Big hit from the Mt Albert Lions vs Pt Chev Pirates semi final that just got played in the weekend. Shades of Ruben Wiki/Iosia Soliola...

Reactions: 1 users
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
ARL PRELIMINARY FINALS RESULTS

FOX MEMORIAL SHIELD
Fox

SHARMAN CUP
Sharman

PHELAN SHIELD
Phelan

Reactions: 1 user
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
So the GRAND FINAL match ups will be...

FOX MEMORIAL SHIELD
Fox

SHARMAN CUP
Sharman

PHELAN SHIELD
Phelan

10629755 10154565029845360 5722199849578253913 n 1

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
ARL also held their awards night tonight. Heres a full list of the winners. Congrats to all winners. Especially Dion Snell who took out the top award as Fox Player of the Year...

Auckland Rugby League Annual Awards Dinner Winners
10527825 10154362907325360 5423302725062462126 n

Club Volunteer of the Year – Bill Norrie (Te Atatu)

Club administrator of the Year – Niki Wallace (Northcote)

Club of the Year – Mt Wellington

Mandron Masonry Phelan Shield Nominated Players of the Year:

Glenfield – Dan Rogers
Hibiscus Coast - Ethan McGuire
Mt Wellington – Taylor Smith
Navy – Sam Dickey
Pakuranga – Virgil Tangohau
Ponsonby – Stuart Ta’avao
Pukekohe – Roland Helling

Mandron Masonry Player of the year – Virgil Tangohau

SAS Sharman Cup Nominated Players of the year:
Bay Roskill – Steve Smith
East Coast Bays – Alan Zaharia
Ellerslie – Andrew Bob
Manurewa – King Vuniyayawa
Manukau- Bradley McGregor
New Lynn – Kyle Neal
Otara – Saipani Aiolupo
Papatoetoe – Peter Bell
Te Atatu – Sala Falelua
Waitemata – Ali Lata

SAS Sharman Cup player of the year – Sala Falelua

Appliance Shed Fox Memorial Nominated Players of the Year:
Glenora – Ben McCallum
Howick – Dion Snell
Mangere East – Zion Tesese
Marist – Kaleni Fraser
Mt Albert – Tulson Caird
Northcote – Mao Uta
Otahuhu – Sione Feao
Papakura – William Stowers
Pt Chevalier – Siua Otunuku
Richmond – Karl Simeti

Kiwi Shield – Pt Chevalier

Konica Minolta Roope Rooster – Pt Chevalier

Referee of the Year – Shane Rehm

Female player of the Year – Teuila Fotu-Moala (Otahuhu)

Lance Painter Rose Bowl Goal Kicker of the Year – Cody Walker (Mt Albert) - 90 goals (regular season only_

Masters Rugby League Cup Try Scorer of the Year – Siua Otunuku (Pt Chevalier) 24 tries (regular season only)

Rookie of the year – Jamal Hunt (Otahuhu)

Coach of the year – Grant Pocklington (Pt Chevalier)

Appliance Shed Fox Memorial Team of the Year:
Fullback – Siua Otunuku (Pt Chevalier)
Winger – Saula Solomona (Pt Chevalier)
Centre – Josh Tamaseu-Russell (Marist)
Five-eighth – William Stowers (Papakura)
Halfback – Simon Ieremia (Marist)
Prop – Kaleni Fraser (Marist)
Hooker – Tevita Latu (Pt Chevalier)
Second-rower – Dion Snell (Howick)
Lock – Tulson Caird (Mt Albert)

Appliance Shed Fox Memorial Lion Red Player of the Year – Dion Snell (Howick)

mode81

mode81

I use to live down Martin Ave in Mt Albert just around the corner from Fowlds Park so I'm going for the mighty LIONS!

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
I use to live down Martin Ave in Mt Albert just around the corner from Fowlds Park so I'm going for the mighty LIONS!
Couldnt give a shit who wins the Fox. Hate both teams equally.

Other games I'll be going for Otara and repping Mt. Wellington all the way.

Not sure if I'll go this year? Bit far, tickets are a bit much to take the family and youre not allowed to take food in so that'll cost an arm and leg as well. Might just catch it on Maori TV and get the beers in...

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

kiwi's 13-6

yeah those tickets are a bit much should be under 15 for free, adults $10, students/pensioners/unwaged for $5 in my opinion. must be some national party or Rodger Douglas labour types running the ARL at the moment?

i got a question about orene ai'i playing for howick in the fox I saw a bit of that game on maori tv and was wondering did howick just totally ring him in with some cash to late in the season to help them qualify? or was he playing for them on a regular basis?

ramraider78

ramraider78

yeah those tickets are a bit much should be under 15 for free, adults $10, students/pensioners/unwaged for $5 in my opinion. must be some national party or Rodger Douglas labour types running the ARL at the moment?

i got a question about orene ai'i playing for howick in the fox I saw a bit of that game on maori tv and was wondering did howick just totally ring him in with some cash to late in the season to help them qualify? or was he playing for them on a regular basis?
Yes, Orene is mates with the Team manager, he didn't play for free I think $400 a game from what i heard - he does qualify because he hadn't played any league games in the last 7 weeks before play offs and he wasn't a NZ or OZ transfer; a few clubs do it and bring in union players after there season ends.

Couldnt give a shit who wins the Fox. Hate both teams equally.

Other games I'll be going for Otara and repping Mt. Wellington all the way.

Not sure if I'll go this year? Bit far, tickets are a bit much to take the family and youre not allowed to take food in so that'll cost an arm and leg as well. Might just catch it on Maori TV and get the beers in...
That's some deal they got with Westpac trust stadium that's was in place a few years back - it's 10k a day to hire out Mt Smart number 2, well that's what we were told.

Otara should take it, they are being a bit humble this year and not talking it up from the boys I spoke to over there - they are a tight bunch in that premier team. Undecided about the Phelan final, got love for both clubs and have seen the odd player go back from the Fox to help there junior club out this season - love that stuff.

Appliance Shed Fox Memorial Lion Red Player of the Year – Dion Snell (Howick) - " We have heaps of parties at Howick , if you want to party come to Howick "- "I would like to thank the sponsors for giving us those envelopes after the games" - HAHAHAHA priceless stares from a few clubs in the room HAHAHA ruthless for saying that on the stage but he was drunk by the time the main award came around lol Dale Husband - "Parties an Haircuts at Howick, ladies an gentleman" lol

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Stone

Stone

Congratulations to both the Mt Wellington Warriors & the Otara Scorpions for taking out their respective Grand Finals

I'd also like to pay a special tribute to the Scorpions, because I can remember back in the day when their club, over there at Ngati Otara Park, was a hotbed of violence, drugs, cheap piss & cheaper women, which made it a genuinely scarey place to be, so to turn it around into a legit family club like they have is a very commendable achievement

As an ex Otahuhu Leopard man, I fully agree with one of mt. wellington's previous post's & also couldn't also give two shits about who won the Fox, not just because I'm still loyal to my old club, but also because IMO both the Pirates & the Lions are nothing more than "chequebook teams" who buy their way to success ;)

Reactions: 3 users
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Congratulations to both the Mt Wellington Warriors & the Otara Scorpions for taking out their respective Grand Finals

I'd also like to pay a special tribute to the Scorpions, because I can remember back in the day when their club, over there at Ngati Otara Park, was a hotbed of violence, drugs, cheap piss & cheaper women, which made it a genuinely scarey place to be, so to turn it around into a legit family club like they have is a very commendable achievement

As an ex Otahuhu Leopard man, I fully agree with one of mt. wellington's previous post's & also couldn't also give two shits about who won the Fox, not just because I'm still loyal to my old club, but also because IMO both the Pirates & the Lions are nothing more than "chequebook teams" who buy their way to success ;)
You can add Papakura and the Hornets to the rent a team, buy a Premiership brigade. Only problem with Kura is they are still stupid and dont know how to spend it right. Will go one better next year I reckon but still noobs compared to the likes of Mt Albert who wrote the book on that shit...

• Haha
ramraider78

ramraider78

You can add Papakura and the Hornets to the rent a team, buy a Premiership brigade. Only problem with Kura is they are still stupid and dont know how to spend it right. Will go one better next year I reckon but still noobs compared to the likes of Mt Albert who wrote the book on that shit...
AMEN to that toko :D - thing is Kura been spending big for quite a few years now and haven't landed a Fox premiership - Howick got lucky it didn't take long for them but I reckon the gravy train will slow down soon IMO

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
AMEN to that toko :D - thing is Kura been spending big for quite a few years now and haven't landed a Fox premiership - Howick got lucky it didn't take long for them but I reckon the gravy train will slow down soon IMO
Really? Was only aware of their budget this year after finding out how much Richie was getting to coach them. Oats tried to get Blackie back but werent even close to the amount that Kura ended up being. Even Howicks offer of 25K wasnt close.

Some the players Ive spoken just laugh about how dumb Kura is with their payments. And theyre Kura players lol. Management and sponsors dont have a clue and think money will talk. Gravy train all right. Not getting enough bang for their buck...

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
ARL PHELAN SHIELD GRAND FINAL
Phelan

10391388 567117406727958 5756400476279345995 n

Mt Wellington Go Back-to-Back in Phelan

The Mt Wellington Warriors have successfully defended their Mandron Masonry Phelan Shield title after disposing of east Auckland neighbours Pakuranga 37-14 in Saturday’s grand final.

The Warriors dominated in almost every area of the game, using their superior size to soften the opposition middle defence before their youthful backline enjoyed plenty of success on the edges.

Right from the beginning it was clear that Mt Wellington were going to be the better side on the day, rising to the occasion while their opponents appeared to go gun shy in front of a big crowd at Waitakere’s Trusts Stadium.

The sides traded points early on with the Warriors crossing through big bopper Dexter Su’e before Pakuranga hit back via Issac Retzlaff.

But that turned out to be one of the last times the Jaguars got anywhere near the try line, as the Warriors ran in seven of their own over the next 60 minutes of the game.

Fullback Jared Nuku had starred for the champions during last week’s semi-final victory over Hibiscus Coast and was again among their best on field, scoring two tries and providing safe service at the back.

After leading 16-6 at the break Mt Wellington clocked up 17 points during a 15-minute spell from the 52nd minute to end any hope of a Pakuranga comeback.

The Jaguars did end on a positive note however, with Mandron Masonry Phelan Shield Player of the Year Virgil Tangohau showing his talent as they crossed for late scores through Eric Vaogo and Gordon Todd.

It remains unclear whether Mt Wellington will meet the off-field requirements for promotion to the SAS Sharman Cup for next year, but nonetheless coach Terry Tangata said his side’s achievement was a significant one.

“I am just over the moon, I knew what sort of style Pakuranga would bring from watching over the last few weeks, I was very confident we were going to do this today,” he said.

Mt Wellington 37 (Su’e, Sorenson, Clarken, Pakalani, Peterson, Nuku x2 tries; Tangata-Makiri 3 goals, Pakalani 1 goal; Tangata-Makiri 1 field goal) DEFEAT Pakuranga 14 (Retzlaff, Vaoga, Todd tries; Tangohau 1 goal.)

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
ARL SHARMAN CUP GRAND FINAL
Sharman

10610664 489464754489634 3999548660840943414 n
Otara Return to the Fox in 2015
The Otara Scorpions will return to the Fox Memorial Premiership for the first time in 20 years, after winning the SAS Sharman Cup grand final 22-16 over East Coast Bays, securing promotion in the process.

One of New Zealand rugby league’s traditional heartlands, Otara beat a determined East Coast Bays outfit at Trusts Stadium to ensure they will be back in the premier division next year.

It was sweet redemption for the south Auckland side, who last year went down to the Richmond Bulldogs in the final despite dominating the regular season.

This year Otara had stormed to the minor premiership, going through the season with only two losses.

They looked equally devastating to start the final, coming out firing and looking to dominate the Barracudas’ pack with a physical style.

It paid off almost immediately when captain Uila Aiolupo crashed over in the third minute. Five-eighth Leiloa Lafaele converted for an early 6-0 lead.

But East Coast Bays wrestled back momentum a few minutes later following a 40/20 kick which allowed them to set up camp in the opposition 20.

Captain Ricky Bogue got them on the board just before the 20-minute mark, but when Latham Clark pushed the kick wide the Barracudas still trailed 6-4.

Further scores to Blucher and a second to Bogue extended the lead, but Otara hit back just before the break to reduce the deficit to 16-12.

The Scorpions started the second half just as they had the first, scoring after a few minutes through centre Anthony Fuimaono, who a short time later left the field with a suspected fractured arm.

When Reece Paea went over five minutes later Otara took a 22-16 lead and were beginning to assume control of the match.

The Barracudas enjoyed plenty of ball in the last 15 minutes, but had no answer for an Otara defensive line which scrambled desperately to repel attack after attack.

Otara defended two sets in the final three minutes to secure the SAS Sharman Cup title and promotion to the Appliance Shed Fox Memorial Premiership for 2015.

Coach Saulo Suamasi, in his third season coaching the Scorpions, said it was about more than rugby league for the Otara community.

“It is incredible, it was a great game,” he said.

“We still believed in our systems and our strength which is our power in the middle.

“We took advantage of our momentum and we ended up coming away with the points.

“This is for our community.”

Otara 22 (Aiolupo, Tulikaki, Fuimaono, Paea tries; Lafaele 3 goals) DEFEAT East Coast Bays 16(Bogue x2, Blucher tries; Clark 2 goals.)