Internationals 2014 Anzac test

So does this mean we get a Kiwi ref for the next game? Or do the Aussies need every advantage they can get?
Most likely an Aussie ref. The Aussies would say a kiwi wouldn't be up to it and be biased.

Even when international rules said neutral referees the Aussies insisted on Aussie refs. I think last time the neutral refs was only used for England vs New Zealand.

I was surprised there wasn't more charging at the refs disputing every decision; the current only after scoring etc is an NRL rule. Part way though the first half I was expecting the players to return to type; a couple of times we could of used Mannering to slow things down with a quiet word to the referee. Him doing it probably would have started the Aussies though. I wouldn't have been surprised if Hayne forgot about that and shooed them away like it was the NRL.

Tbh I think if a team is attacking in the opposition 20 and put a chip through to the in goal I don't think their ever deliberately trying to kick it dead if it goes over the dead ball. Hence I think they should only apply the 7 tackle rule if a kick goes dead from outside the 20.
100% agree. NRL should make a mid season rule change (they've done this in the past). Too much advantage to the other team for no real reason other than the ball going dead.

100% agree. NRL should make a mid season rule change (they've done this in the past). Too much advantage to the other team for no real reason other than the ball going dead.
Absolutely ridiculous where a game locked up and a team misses a drop kick then hands the other team 7 tackles to get down the other end for thief own attempt... The rule is seriously flawed!!!

Reactions: Harlz
Was very happy to see Havilli go so well last night. His running from dummy half was outstanding at times!!! Time has definitely come for him to be subbing Friend and getting game time in the hooking role!!

Also really impressed with Tohu Harris... Never really paid much attention to him before other than 'that guy' SBW shafted. Thought he was excellent (esp in defence) last night!!

I like the 7 tackle rule- I was sick of seeing teams look for a repeat set EVERY time they got close to the line- this encourages teams to mix it up.
Also I don't really like drop goal shoot outs so hopefully it discourages that and encourages teams to run it more and look for the try.

Reactions: eudebrito
Was a really enjoyable game to watch and the boys gave it everything, maybe it was the right idea to leave the Roosters boys out. Anyway JWH will really struggle to get in ahead of Bromwich, Moa, Blair and Taupau after their performances. They along with Havili and Henry were outstanding. Havili has definitely put his hand up for significant time at hooker for us.

Shaun Johnson was great, it was a shame he did quieten down in the 2nd half but overall he was outstanding and is really improving. He's got a great attitude as well so its awesome to see.

Well done boys, most satisfying loss I've had as a fan.

Reactions: Magic Stick

Akkerz

Contributor
So does this mean we get a Kiwi ref for the next game? Or do the Aussies need every advantage they can get?

This is supposed to be a test match - not an additional NRL fixture. Played at an Aussie stadium, with an Aussie ref & a couple of biased, disrespectful, senile old counts posing as commentators - that set up has to change. Definately should have an international ref & alternate Aus/ NZ matches. NZRL should be making more demands in this regard.

The actual game was great. So much heart in the Kiwi's & I for one applaud the selectors for having the ballz to try something different but can someone please teach Shaun Johnson how to handle last play options. The 'rat in the trap' lark is wearing thin.

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
Wow, just Wow.

People supporting NZ have gotten so used to losing that you are holding up a loss as the greatest game in 20 years? That game went exactly to script. The Kiwis put up a good fight then rolled over in the last 20 mins and let the Australian side put on a respectable winning margin. There wasnt one part of that game that surprised me, looked like so many of the international games against Australia over the years. They always play soft at the start and end up so much better than NZ in the last 20 mins.

Some
individual good performances, yep there always is. But anyone thinking that when they clean out the dinosaurs (who won) and blood all the young bucks that NZ will romp in, your deceiving your self. Australia has so much depth in every position.

I'm sorry if im raining on your parade but NZ didnt win and any thing else is
unacceptable. You might as well be supporting Argentina at the world cup if all you want is good individual performance.

Wow, just Wow.

People supporting NZ have gotten so used to losing that you are holding up a loss as the greatest game in 20 years? That game went exactly to script. The Kiwis put up a good fight then rolled over in the last 20 mins and let the Australian side put on a respectable winning margin. There wasnt one part of that game that surprised me, looked like so many of the international games against Australia over the years. They always play soft at the start and end up so much better than NZ in the last 20 mins.

Some
individual good performances, yep there always is. But anyone thinking that when they clean out the dinosaurs (who won) and blood all the young bucks that NZ will romp in, your deceiving your self. Australia has so much depth in every position.

unacceptable. You might as well be supporting Argentina at the world cup if all you want is good individual performance.
I think you have severly missed the point here. Yes, we always go down to Oz, and yes it is always in the last 20, but usually it becomes a walkover, and usually our team consists of most of our top players. We had a few who were "passed over" for past indiscretions or previous form, we had several who were injured and we had a few head-scratching selections and positional decisions. But we were in it for over 60 minutes, and we only lost by 12. These guys were laughed at all week, but they put on a far better show than any of our top teams have in a long time. The egos and arrogance may have just left the building.

I'm sorry if im raining on your parade but NZ didnt win and any thing else is unacceptable.

well we could have said, useless buggers didnt give us a win, sack em all... I think the point is we had a very young inexperienced team against a world champion and probably one of the best Australian teams ever and we competed and gave ourselves a chance, when everyone thought we would be trounced by 40 odd point me included...
we will always struggle against a country that runs the NRL and SOO thats just the fact of the matter, but that doesnt mean I'm not gutted by the loss! the boys played well and I think that is what most people are saying...

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
12354_10152408823789456_5899096539108799097_n.jpg

10325389_10152408824449456_1341761369732492695_n.jpg

Inruin

Contributor
Wow, just Wow.

Some

I have to agree with you. Didn't quite follow the script I thought it would but that was mainly due to the Kangaroos being uncharacteristically poor in the first half with a number of handling errors. That meant that the Kiwis managed to score some points (some fairly soft points if you are honest, nothing really from a sharp backline move for example) You always had a feeling that the result was inevitable. Don't get me wrong, the boys played pretty well, but as the normally are, they were outclassed in the end.

Reactions: Mr Frank White

macker

For me it was a game of two halves.

In the first half our D was superior to theirs and we kept them under enough pressure to lead them on the scoreboard. We built pressure and attacked their weakness. The pressure caused them to make errors and leave weak spots in their own D line. And because we only attacked their weakness the odds of success were on our side, allowing us to keep the pressure on for extended periods.

In the second half our D was inferior to theirs. We lost focus on applying pressure and started attacking them when they were still strong defensively. This is a bad idea because it involves taking big risks when the odds are low, and they were able to defuse our attack and make us look unorganized.

Guss pointed this out when Johnson kicked dead in goal, right before they scored off the tap restart to seal the match. The option was a high risk one which would have needed to be perfect, as well as lucky, to avoid letting the Aussies off the hook. It wasn't perfect or lucky. They immediately took advantage of the pressure gap and got a roll on against us all the way to the try line.

If the team had kept the first half mentality that try to the Aussies doesn't get scored and we are a 50% chance of being camped down their end for another set. And maybe they crack under the sustained pressure allowing us to tie the game.

So from my armchair coaching manual I say focus on breaking the opposition structure before attacking. Keep applying pressure until a genuine opportunity to strike presents itself. When the opportunity presents then take some risks and let the ball sing. Very demoralizing.

If the Aussies D had gone as soft, as ours did during that last try, we would have carved them up just as brilliantly. The difference was that their D line never went soft. We cracked it early on through immense pressure, but it never went soft the way ours did.

Maybe that's the blessing origin footy gives the Kangroos. They can grind out games at intensity levels our players aren't at all conditioned for.

Reactions: gREVUS

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
I think you have severly missed the point here. Yes, we always go down to Oz, and yes it is always in the last 20, but usually it becomes a walkover, and usually our team consists of most of our top players. We had a few who were "passed over" for past indiscretions or previous form, we had several who were injured and we had a few head-scratching selections and positional decisions. But we were in it for over 60 minutes, and we only lost by 12. These guys were laughed at all week, but they put on a far better show than any of our top teams have in a long time. The egos and arrogance may have just left the building.

I guess i did miss the point - there were some truly excellent individual performances but as a team, once again they lacked. The Australians win by out playing the Kiwis for 80 mins. But most importantly they play as a team, they have a structure borne of years of consistency in selection, and hardening players through SOO. Even with some of the best young players available to them, they use them sparingly so as not to break the team dynamic. For example look at NSW vs Qld and look at near 10 years of supremacy.

The Kiwis are always looking for that magic bullet, they change everything, every time, we dont have anything like SOO to build the team dynamic that is the making of the Australian team. The excuses of those available, those on the out etc are old and make no difference to the actual game. Well done the Kiwis, they would have won it if the game was only 40 mins long, or would they, would the Australians have played the same way if it was only 40 mins, i think not. I think they under-rated the Kiwis initially. They believed the hype and for the first half they suffered accordingly. At half time they went away and woke up. They came out and made a game of it scoring easily all across the park. Simply put they stepped up.

Individual play will never beat a well structured team full of equally brilliant individuals. The Kiwis need to go that next step and i dont believe that S.K. has the ability to take them there. Lets be honest he is only coach because, a) he cant get a better gig and b) because of the assisted wins thanks to Mr Bennett.

So sorry if i'm being a downer - I expected the Kiwis to lose (i think most people did) and i didnt see much in the way of structure that will take them to a win over the Australians

Reactions: Mr Frank White

Mr Frank White

Contributor
Wow, just Wow.

Some

Thank fuck for this clarity.

We lost again.

If you think Stephen Kearney is anything but a professional loser you're crazy.
Assistant to Bellamy means zilch. Look at Parra and the kiwis. What do they have common?! Losing....

Reactions: Inruin
I am surprised that everyone was surprised. If you had listened to the radio leading up to the match the experts were picking either a 50 point thrashing or a close win to Ausy if the Kiwis surprised them.. and thats exactly what happened.

Reactions: gREVUS
It was unacceptable for a top class, everyone at the top of their game, NRL and Test experienced as possible Kiwis lineup (I can't say settled because I long ago lost patience with the "but we only had limited time together to train" excuse). Not a doubt there.

Had we had Luke, Leuluai, Foran, Locke et al to pick from then I think we'd all have a different perspective on the game.

It was acceptable as being: better than the World Cup, 2013's Anzac Test, 2012's Anzac Test possibly most of the Anzacs since 1998. The comment about the Aussies always starting soft might be valid - I didn't think they were at their best necessarily (but we weren't at our best in the second half - see Shaun Johnson for an example) but they were hardly obviously off (playing with a just like a training run type atitude) their game.

I wasn't surprised really at the final outcome, I didn't particularly expect a win but had always reckoned anything worse than a three try margin would be a poor result. The worst aspect of the game was our inability to score anything in the second half. I would trade a 6 pt lead at half time for at least one try in the second half.