Internationals 2014 Anzac test

I really thought at half time that we could pull off an ending like something from a Boys Own Annual. It was ours to take for nearly 70 minutes and we only got beaten by a vastly more experienced team that knows how to close out a game.Fantastic effort from our boys, especially the forwards. J WHo? Looks so good for the next few years and with some of the players that were out injured coming back into the team theres some huge depth. Not that I would drop too many from last nights game. They played with passion and enthusiasm without shooting themselves in the foot with forced passes and offloads and it meant we could bring serious pressure to bear for long periods. Going to have to be some serious planning going on in Aussie after last night. Older players getting moved on and positions opening up. Aussie league with a worried look on it's face. How good is that? :)

Massive effort boys...proved a lot of doubters wrong including myself !!

Some very exciting talent coming through.
As for dad's army ! ( Aussie ) Not to many more tests left in some of those boys.

Bring on the 4 nations I say. !!!

I really thought at half time that we could pull off an ending like something from a Boys Own Annual. It was ours to take for nearly 70 minutes and we only got beaten by a vastly more experienced team that knows how to close out a game.Fantastic effort from our boys, especially the forwards. J WHo? Looks so good for the next few years and with some of the players that were out injured coming back into the team theres some huge depth. Not that I would drop too many from last nights game. They played with passion and enthusiasm without shooting themselves in the foot with forced passes and offloads and it meant we could bring serious pressure to bear for long periods. Going to have to be some serious planning going on in Aussie after last night. Older players getting moved on and positions opening up. Aussie league with a worried look on it's face. How good is that? :)

JWH still easily deserved to be in the team.

Jessie Bromwich was the best player on the field - no doubt.

But Harris isnt in the top 23 for the kiwis.
He is average on Defense - Proctor went ok though.

An awesome handling display from the Kiwi's apart from the one guy who looked out of his depth, Hiku is a very solid NRL level player but the step up to test footy looks a bit much, particularly at fullback...he does play in a very good team at Manly which like Melbourne can make a player look better than they are.

Havili surprised me, i was always happy with his physical ability, but he always looked like he could do better or he wasn't giving his best...last night was a turning point i think, and how good will it be to have a hooker who kicks from the ruck on the fifth like Smith and Farrah.

How good is Henry, if that kid was fast he'd be the perfect player.

Reactions: Miket12
JWH still easily deserved to be in the team.

Jessie Bromwich was the best player on the field - no doubt.

But Harris isnt in the top 23 for the kiwis.
He is average on Defense - Proctor went ok though.
You maybe right about the storm backrowers, but the heart they showed easily compensated.

So now it's time for JWH to step up I reckon

Good performance really when you consider the score line compared to other years when the aussies consider us to be at full strength. Still need to get a full 80 minute effort; but a display much better than we would of expected when the team was first announced.

Add Foran, Luke, Hoffman to that line up and we get some more direction and some added steal.

Could also add JWH, Kasiano depending on form. JWH will know now that his performances against Australia need to improve so hopefully he next time we see him fired up and take it to them.

I doubt we will hear any apologies from Paul Kent, Matt Johns or Ray Warren about our crap team that was going to get pumped by 50. Next week will back to talking about Eels, Roosters Tigers etc.

Ray Warren why didn't they choose JWH, FPN, SKD. Kearney is disrespecting test football, of course he cares now cause it is shown on channel 9. Did he see the world cup final or even take notice of the score? and to quote Hitman82 "SKD has feet for hands", Whare and Beale deserved their place in the side.

Pretty amazing effort, to be honest, considering everything that happened, team selections, that Aussie side, etc... To be ahead, and actually looking like we deserved to be, at halftime was a pretty special effort.

Our forward pack was immense - Bromwich, Moa, Blair, Taupau, were all outstanding. They gave everything, and it was almost enough. Shaun Johnson was, as I said in my other post, the best player on the field in the first half... He was absolutely unreal. In the end, I think he lost his way, but to basically run the show like that by himself (I though Isaac looked fairly out of his depth) was an amazing effort. Roger Tuivasa-Sheck looked very good out there, but I think we've probably (or at least should) have seen the last of Nightingale in the Kiwis... He's safe, yes, but his complete lack of impact at the line, and defense errors I think hurt us. Whare and Beale were good, and are almost certainly our beset centre pairing at present. Hiku, while I think he could be an international level player, he's not there yet, and it showed. But the players I want to single out most, were our dummy halves... For Havili to be picked on the back of what, 10 minutes of NRL game time at hooker, and then put that performance out on an international stage, is something special. I think he silenced a lot of critics with that showing. Maybe he could be our next long term hooker... And Ben Henry? Having NEVER played a game at hooker, coming up against the GREATEST hooker of all time? I thought he was amazing. Well done Benry.

All in all, gutting loss, but the ref did a fantastic job of keeping the Ozzies in the game :rolleyes:, and considering everything that was said before the game, I thought the boys did NZ very proud. Future looks bright.

WOW!

That was one of the best tests I have seen in a long time.

The lack of respect for the Aussies was great.

We usually get caught up trying to slow their ruck speed, but we came out in the first half letting them play it at their pace, and just played faster. I think it helped that the boys were treated as laughing stocks midweek.

I think the Aussies went into this game with no genuine plan. Just see what they dish up and we will dominate them. Smith was spooked when he called the team in for a midfield meeting. They were a bit of a rabble at that stage, and he needed to give them guidance. The were always going to develop a plan by half time.

I think Kearney made a mistake in using John in the halves. Johnson was thriving on the pressure, but when we got options, he went into his shell again. I would have liked to see him put under pressure again with John reverting to the bench. I have always been a major critic of Johnson, but his first half was near perfect. He avoided the 40 metre bomb well, and his kicking options were awesome. I thought the penalty kick in the second half that was ruled out in-goal was crap. It was manipulated by the Aussie player and the touchie just went with it, even though he was going to rule it went out in the field of play. I didn't realise we got it back from a 20m dropout, though.

Benry was astonishing, considering he was basically asking advice from anyone who had ever met a hooker. I thought his very first pass out of dummy half showed that he is the best kind of footballer. He will do whatever job is required of him. He will learn the skills he needs to do the very best for the team. He looked better than he has in his usual positions. His pace was up, and he was focussed.

Havili was great. He handled the step up from basically reserve grade hooking to test arena well. If we could get him some serious time at 9 in Warriors colours soon, we will be ahead.

I thought we were looking a real chance at scoring late when Benry scooted and was brought down a couple of metres short, but up stepped Captain Mannering, when anyone else should have played dummy half and gave a volleyball pass to kill our attack. Can we put a (Michael Luck-type) rule in that he doesn't touch the ball in the opposition 20m?

Our forwards were monumental. They hit harder than I have seen a Kiwi hit in years. Our go-forward was fantastic. Sam Moa was awe-inspiring at times, and I was pleased to see him come back after heading up the tunnel. Bromwich was great. Tapau had some powerful runs.

I was concerned with Hiku, especially after seeing him at the base of the scrum with Aussie attacking inside our 20m, twice. You could see he knew where they were going, but was never going to give us any chance of stopping it, so why put him there?

Though Nighingale had a typical Warriors-type defensive showing, I think he kept us in the game (mentally) by getting back up and keeping going. I thought he was a goner. It appeared that Cory Parker reacted like he heard his knee go pop. I guess we had good depth to cover for him. We could have moved Beale to wing and slotted benry over there. And it may have even cleaned that side defence up a little.

I was amazed that in the first half, you very nearly didn't even know that people like Smith, Thurston, Inglis and Boyd were even playing. But it was only a matter of time before one of them took it upon themselves to try to spark something.

Ray Warren, its time to retire. You are becoming a blithering, dodery old fool. He spent 10 minutes pointing out that "we now have our 3 halves on the field in Cooper Cronk, Jonathan Thurston and Daley Cherry-Evans, so thats now 3 halves on the field. So with Cherry-Evans coming off the bench, it means we now have 3 halves with Cronk, Thurston, and Cherry-Evans..." It went on for far too long, and we already knew without him filling the air with pointless, obvious bullshit. Gould spent the last minutes of the first half preparing his excuses for why they lost, should he need them. And was very careful until late in the second half to prepare for a loss.

I disagree with a few here, who believe that Foran and Luke would have given us the win. I think that Johnson would have kept his head down with Foran there. He only steps up when he is forced to, and other options make him lazy (not to be insulting). I think Benry and Havili actually offered a point of difference that caught the Kangaroos off guard. Luke may have brought a more predictable game with him. It was the EXTREME underdog tag that got us so close. I love the fact that our "stars" were put in their places, and that passion for the jersey has been recreated. JWH has had an arrogant air about him for a while now, believing he is the Kiwis, and SBW has not set himself up of late to even be a chance in this team. Harris sent a big fuck-you out to old $BW with his try.

I would have loved to see us with an entirely new gameplan in the second forty. Aussie were always going to come back more prepared, but if we tested our original plan for a few minutes before changing to plan B would have had them clueless again.

I am looking forward to the future of the Kiwis with the amount of heart and passion shown last night. Lets keep it going.

To all the SK knockers here's a nice summation from Steve Kearney

"The effort and spirit and energy the lads played with, I couldn't complain about that. If you take us back to the back end of the tournament last year, in terms of New Zealand rugby league and our jumper, things didn't end so well there. It was important that our next outing to get some respect and some pride back into our jumper and I thought the lads did that."

and I bet y'all enjoyed the match too

Reactions: Sup42
WOW!

That was one of the best tests I have seen in a long time.

The lack of respect for the Aussies was great.

We usually get caught up trying to slow their ruck speed, but we came out in the first half letting them play it at their pace, and just played faster. I think it helped that the boys were treated as laughing stocks midweek.

I think the Aussies went into this game with no genuine plan. Just see what they dish up and we will dominate them. Smith was spooked when he called the team in for a midfield meeting. They were a bit of a rabble at that stage, and he needed to give them guidance. The were always going to develop a plan by half time.

I think Kearney made a mistake in using John in the halves. Johnson was thriving on the pressure, but when we got options, he went into his shell again. I would have liked to see him put under pressure again with John reverting to the bench. I have always been a major critic of Johnson, but his first half was near perfect. He avoided the 40 metre bomb well, and his kicking options were awesome. I thought the penalty kick in the second half that was ruled out in-goal was crap. It was manipulated by the Aussie player and the touchie just went with it, even though he was going to rule it went out in the field of play. I didn't realise we got it back from a 20m dropout, though.

Benry was astonishing, considering he was basically asking advice from anyone who had ever met a hooker. I thought his very first pass out of dummy half showed that he is the best kind of footballer. He will do whatever job is required of him. He will learn the skills he needs to do the very best for the team. He looked better than he has in his usual positions. His pace was up, and he was focussed.

Havili was great. He handled the step up from basically reserve grade hooking to test arena well. If we could get him some serious time at 9 in Warriors colours soon, we will be ahead.

I thought we were looking a real chance at scoring late when Benry scooted and was brought down a couple of metres short, but up stepped Captain Mannering, when anyone else should have played dummy half and gave a volleyball pass to kill our attack. Can we put a (Michael Luck-type) rule in that he doesn't touch the ball in the opposition 20m?

Our forwards were monumental. They hit harder than I have seen a Kiwi hit in years. Our go-forward was fantastic. Sam Moa was awe-inspiring at times, and I was pleased to see him come back after heading up the tunnel. Bromwich was great. Tapau had some powerful runs.

I was concerned with Hiku, especially after seeing him at the base of the scrum with Aussie attacking inside our 20m, twice. You could see he knew where they were going, but was never going to give us any chance of stopping it, so why put him there?

Though Nighingale had a typical Warriors-type defensive showing, I think he kept us in the game (mentally) by getting back up and keeping going. I thought he was a goner. It appeared that Cory Parker reacted like he heard his knee go pop. I guess we had good depth to cover for him. We could have moved Beale to wing and slotted benry over there. And it may have even cleaned that side defence up a little.

I was amazed that in the first half, you very nearly didn't even know that people like Smith, Thurston, Inglis and Boyd were even playing. But it was only a matter of time before one of them took it upon themselves to try to spark something.

Ray Warren, its time to retire. You are becoming a blithering, dodery old fool. He spent 10 minutes pointing out that "we now have our 3 halves on the field in Cooper Cronk, Jonathan Thurston and Daley Cherry-Evans, so thats now 3 halves on the field. So with Cherry-Evans coming off the bench, it means we now have 3 halves with Cronk, Thurston, and Cherry-Evans..." It went on for far too long, and we already knew without him filling the air with pointless, obvious bullshit. Gould spent the last minutes of the first half preparing his excuses for why they lost, should he need them. And was very careful until late in the second half to prepare for a loss.

I disagree with a few here, who believe that Foran and Luke would have given us the win. I think that Johnson would have kept his head down with Foran there. He only steps up when he is forced to, and other options make him lazy (not to be insulting). I think Benry and Havili actually offered a point of difference that caught the Kangaroos off guard. Luke may have brought a more predictable game with him. It was the EXTREME underdog tag that got us so close. I love the fact that our "stars" were put in their places, and that passion for the jersey has been recreated. JWH has had an arrogant air about him for a while now, believing he is the Kiwis, and SBW has not set himself up of late to even be a chance in this team. Harris sent a big fuck-you out to old $BW with his try.

I would have loved to see us with an entirely new gameplan in the second forty. Aussie were always going to come back more prepared, but if we tested our original plan for a few minutes before changing to plan B would have had them clueless again.

I am looking forward to the future of the Kiwis with the amount of heart and passion shown last night. Lets keep it going.

Thanks N. ig-mah Agree 100% I was reading through before posting and you saved me 1/2 an hour of my hunt and peck style typing with that post :) And I still probably wouldn't have put it as well

great game from our boys, Sam, Jesse and Shaun outstanding also loved how the younger players got a run, showed real grit, didnt get overawed and showed pride in the jersey, looks real promising for the future, Really impressed with Henry, Havili and Taupau had a big question mark on them, so I'm really glad for them and it will give them huge confidence for the future, great options now for the Warrior hooking options as well. ,

Oz was always going to come out strong in the second half and you know the ozzies are rattled when they're running to the ref every 5mins but their experience was always going to show through.

in the end this was the best team picked, dont think JWH, SKD, FPN would of given us anything these boys didnt, and as for the JWH knockers, in his defense he sure does a mean Haka.

I actually thought it was a fairly well refereed game. Have to say I loved having only 1 ref on the field and also going back to international rules. Hate the 7 tackles from a kick going dead. Sort of reminds me that the game wasn't broken before, didn't need to change anything.

What the NRL wanted to do was create some disincentive for teams to have a deliberate plan to kick the ball dead...But I don't know how you could differentiate between deliberate and "accidental" so it's a blanket 7 tackles.

Not sure on the 1 ref, so used to being 2 now but didn't seem to slow the game too much.

One rule I'd think of bringing in is that if the ref thinks it's a try/no try he should just give it. I know every so often the video ref will overturn the ref's decision but in a percentage basis, how often is that actually happening?

Fantastic game last night, Johnson I felt was doing a bit much non-half work, but for the sole real playmaker, good performance. Can't wait for the Four Nations when we've got a more settled line-up.

Gee, I'm sure it would have been better if SBW hadn't boycotted the game....:p

• Haha
Reactions: Sup42
What the NRL wanted to do was create some disincentive for teams to have a deliberate plan to kick the ball dead...But I don't know how you could differentiate between deliberate and "accidental" so it's a blanket 7 tackles.

Tbh I think if a team is attacking in the opposition 20 and put a chip through to the in goal I don't think their ever deliberately trying to kick it dead if it goes over the dead ball. Hence I think they should only apply the 7 tackle rule if a kick goes dead from outside the 20.

Yeah like everyone else pleasantly surprised how well we competed. The boys gave it a genuine dig which better kiwi sides than that one haven't in the past.

Thought our oompas were mighty. What an engine Bromwich has. Moa and Taupau bent the line as well.

For all his critics I think Havili has a big future. Even playing for the Warriors out of position he hasn't looked out of his league. This was another step up and once again he looked like he handled the intensity like a pro. Has good service and possess massive leg drive when he runs.

Certainly didn't disgrace themselves out there.

macker

They could maybe change the rule to 7 tackles for kicks going dead from outside the 40. Grubbers going dead and chip kicks fielded in the in goal aren't attempts to slow the game down and don't need to be penalized with an extra tackle IMO.

macker

The first half attitude from our boys was awesome. Maximum pressure and attack weakness. Worked brilliantly.

The second half saw too much attacking strength, and not enough ball busting pressure. It was a true game of two halves.

Johnson was great in the first half against a struggling Kangroos side. But in the second half the pressure lifted off the roos and they were able to apply some pressure of their own on Johnson. He's really maturing well tho and taking his game to the next level (for him personally).

Reactions: Defence