Status
Not open for further replies.
I started following sports at eight years old and am now 51
Right now I rate Webster as the best coach I have come across in either
1) Cricket
2) Union
3) League
4) NHL

I have two university degrees including a masters degree, I work with PHDs in my team at work, He is smarter than anyone I have come across.
I don't know what we did to deserve him.
He was offered the Warriors head coach coach two years ago and he said he wasn't ready for the responsibility yet while Benji is now head coach after a one year apprenticeship. Webster if he was in Benji's shoes would have said no and sad it is coming too soon.
This article above just reinforces my opinion about him. He sounds like a mastermind.

Webster is the best asset the warriors have and not SJ or AFB.
I’ll see your Webby and raise you a Razor. Not book smart. But one of the smartest people I’ve ever met. He knows people and how they tick. I think Webby is made from the same cloth. But doesn’t have the results yet.
But I agree. He could be the best ever.

The four clubs playing in the NRL’s historic season-opening double-header in Las Vegas have demanded an urgent meeting with Australian Rugby League Commission chairman Peter V’landys over several unresolved issues — including clarity around the players’ visas.

Manly, Brisbane, South Sydney and the Roosters leave for the US in less than a month ahead of matches at Allegiant Stadium on March 2.

Yet the four clubs are frustrated with head office about the lack of information concerning visas, medical insurance, training venues in Las Vegas and rising costs.

The club chief executives wrote to NRL chief executive Andrew Abdo on December 16 asking for a meeting to resolve the issues.

At the time, Abdo was on a week-long promotional tour in the US city with handpicked players and reporters, including the Herald.

Frustrated by the NRL’s lack of urgency, they have since insisted V’landys attend the meeting.

The situation reached boiling point on Friday when the NRL’s advice about visas dramatically changed.

For months, the NRL indicated to the clubs that players could travel to the US on an ESTA, which waives the traveller from needing a visa. The Broncos sought their own travel advice while the other clubs were concerned about players being stopped and turned around by US customs officers. They had been asking for a definitive answer about visas since October 18.

On Friday, the NRL emailed the clubs to tell them that players now had three options, each of them graded in relation to how easy it would be to enter the US: an athletes’ visa (most conservative); a visitors’ visa (conservative); and an ESTA (least conservative).

It also warned that players who had been previously arrested by the police in Australia could face challenges getting into the US.

Speaking on behalf of the four clubs, South Sydney chief executive Blake Solly maintained they supported the ambitious project to crack the US market, but wanted the issues resolved as soon as possible.

“The four clubs are completely supportive of the NRL’s vision for the USA and the match in Las Vegas,” Solly said. “An ambitious project of this nature is always going to have its logistical challenges, like the visa issue. Ideally, these logistical issues are solved ASAP, so we can focus solely on promoting the game and working with the NRL to ensure this event is the success it deserves to be”.

Asked why the clubs had insisted V’landys take a more hands-on approach, Solly said: “As we get closer to the match, we felt the preparation needed Peter’s energy and unique ability to ‘get things done’.”

Abdo would not specifically address the clubs’ concerns, but told this masthead: “Anything new like this is going to have its challenges. We’re working really hard to resolve some of the issues we’re facing given the scale and magnitude of this. I’m confident the appropriate solutions will be in place as a matter of priority in coming days and weeks.”

V’landys vowed to rectify the clubs’ concerns.

“I understand their frustrations,” he said. “However, I’m a 100 per cent confident all the matters will be resolved very quickly. I appreciate their strong support for the concept. We’re all on the same team promoting this. If it succeeds, it could be one of the greatest things to happen to the game.”

The NRL’s plans to play the double-header in Las Vegas were first reported in late April last year.

It was part of V’landys’ desire to increase revenue for international broadcast rights and US wagering revenue, which has exploded in recent years as various states legalise betting.

Months later, it was revealed the Sea Eagles would play the Rabbitohs in the first match of the double-header followed by the Broncos taking on the Roosters in the second.

However, there have been increasing concerns about the success of the project.

Abdo officially launched the double-header at Allegiant Stadium on December 13, including a partnership with the UFC, a sport that dominates the Vegas sporting landscape.

But ticket sales have barely moved since. According to V’landys, about 21,000 have been sold — only a thousand since the promotional tour that involved South centre Campbell Graham, Brisbane hooker Billy Walters, Roosters forward Spencer Leniu and Manly’s Aaron Woods.

The double-header has been heavily promoted in the US on Fox Sports 1, which will broadcast both matches, while V’landys said a broader campaign would be launched in coming weeks.

“You need to look for the next frontier,” V’landys said. “You need things that are going to improve the game. You can rest on your laurels, but that’s not me. You have to look for these challenges. I really believe in this one; that in years to come I will hopefully be proven right.

“It’s not going to happen overnight. It’s going to take a few years. The US has a market of over 340 million people … everything suggests it will succeed. I’ve learned in life that things are only successful if implemented correctly
That's some idiot shit right there - everyone knows you can't engage in professional activities on an esta, every single player would need a B-1 visa I'd think - and that's not the sort listed in the article by the reporter either - fuck me, what simpletons

That's some idiot shit right there - everyone knows you can't engage in professional activities on an esta, every single player would need a B-1 visa I'd think - and that's not the sort listed in the article by the reporter either - fuck me, what simpletons
Hopefully all this shit is sorted before it’s our turn the following season, or they scrap it altogether.

Hopefully all this shit is sorted before it’s our turn the following season, or they scrap it altogether.
it's unbelievable that the governing body would think that was an option - 'yeah, we'll just do a visa waiver - no one will notice, except for the enormous publicity we hope to garner'... and, without checking, are there some players that wouldn't even qualify for the waiver, by no being nz or au citizens? it's really stupid

Pro sports teams would be going in and out of the US all the time - not league but other sports.

Surely they figure it out quickly by talking to the right people. I wouldn’t put to much weight in what a reporter says is the technical issues around the visa…

The worst part is they have people at the club payed to sort these things out for them. None of them can think for themselves.

Also might be the issue if any of the players in those 4 teams has any convictions. The Yanks take a dim view of that, even stuff like DUI.

Also might be the issue if any of the players in those 4 teams has any convictions. The Yanks take a dim view of that, even stuff like DUI.
Not a problem, they will mysteriously get a preseason niggle that would be aggravated by an extended flight, but will be ready for round 2 👍

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back