Recruitment Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
key: T = Team option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 28/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 5/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 25/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 1/6

2025 Gains: Nil
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks)

Last edited:
Locked away in a trunk with all the other skills that would make him a viable long term halves option.

Don't worry, apparently Webby has some kind of magic key to unlock his inner Thurston.
The club obviously see him as halfback cover being that he’s listed as that in the squad. Who’s got the most potential as a halfback in the squad at the moment in your opinion? And who in the nrl or super league can hold a flame to SJ’s present form?

The club obviously see him as halfback cover being that he’s listed as that in the squad. Who’s got the most potential as a halfback in the squad at the moment in your opinion? And who in the nrl or super league can hold a flame to SJ’s present form?

Metcalf has more potential but won't be here imo.

If SJ doesn't play on I think we look elsewhere.

CHT's most viable path is as a utility.

Long term half is just asking for us to be stuck in mediocrity. Imagine your lead half being Thomas Leuluai MkII.

None of those boys are Halfbacks. TMM, Metcalf, CHT, Tuaupiki all Five eighths. Volkman was a genuine half back sad to see him go but happy if he gets more experience in FG. I wonder what recruitment plans the club / Webster has for 2025. I think we will need to throw some cash at a quality Half from ozzy once SJ hangs the boots up. Am worried for our team if SJ gets injured this year. What we gonna do put Walker in at 7?

Metcalf has more potential but won't be here imo.

If SJ doesn't play on I think we look elsewhere.

CHT's most viable path is as a utility.

Long term half is just asking for us to be stuck in mediocrity. Imagine your lead half being Thomas Leuluai MkII.
My view is I haven’t seen much from Metcalf to give me confidence he could direct a first grade team around the park with his boot and he’s a poor defender at this point being a speed bump. Defence means plenty and that’s CHT’s strong suit, he also has a boot albeit some of his attacking kicks left a bit to be desired. At this point it’s just opinions but it should become apparent as the year goes on where they see the direction of the team going. That interview with Jazz on the preseason thread gives the impression in no way has SJ said this is his final year, being undecided apparently.

My view is I haven’t seen much from Metcalf to give me confidence he could direct a first grade team around the park with his boot and he’s a poor defender at this point being a speed bump. Defence means plenty and that’s CHT’s strong suit, he also has a boot albeit some of his attacking kicks left a bit to be desired. At this point it’s just opinions but it should become apparent as the year goes on where they see the direction of the team going. That interview with Jazz on the preseason thread gives the impression in no way has SJ said this is his final year, being undecided apparently.

Metcalf has a higher ceiling than CHT. Neither of them imo are a long term 7 option.

I starting to wonder if they are going with the scatter gun approach to halves. There currently are not a lot of good young halves in the game so we are gathering as many as possible to see who is the best fit. If SJ went down I would go with Metcalf at 7 and TMM at 6 like last years trials. I would also carry CHT on the bench as back up even though I am not a fan of having a light bench.

As much as im unexcited about CHT being a long term half for the Warriors. I must admit i felt the same way about Ipap and hes shown how much growth can be achieved outside the old Warriors system. Who knows maybe CHT can do an Ipap with this new Warriors system? He seems like a really likeable guy.

As much as im unexcited about CHT being a long term half for the Warriors. I must admit i felt the same way about Ipap and hes shown how much growth can be achieved outside the old Warriors system. Who knows maybe CHT can do an Ipap with this new Warriors system? He seems like a really likeable guy.
My only real worry I have about CHT is he chose to bail when things got rough. How invested is he in his career? He came back, like RTS because it got good here. Does he have the hunger to keep improving? He missed a whole year of coaching.

Other than defense is CHTs upside greater than Volkmans?
I don't think so, so my conclusion would be that the club is targeting defence first halves.
But then there is Metcalfe- although he has some x-factor so maybe they are seeing if his defence improves in 2024?
How is Ben Farrs defence? Is he the smoky here?
Quite impressed with Farr in cup, slight lanky guy but defence comes down to heart and technique, Lussick is a similar build and defends well in the middle. Who knows how he'd go in nrl if he ever gets a shot, pretty unlikely at this stage.

My only real worry I have about CHT is he chose to bail when things got rough. How invested is he in his career? He came back, like RTS because it got good here. Does he have the hunger to keep improving? He missed a whole year of coaching.
its interesting because i feel the other way about it. He wasn't happy and took some time to reassess what he wants. He then came back, seems like must really want to be here.

its interesting because i feel the other way about it. He wasn't happy and took some time to reassess what he wants. He then came back, seems like must really want to be here.

Agreed, I don't think anything that happened during covid should be used to try and determine anyone's character. It was a fkkd up time for everyone. In hindsight, i feel we were collectively a bit rough on Fus, Ken etc that wanted to come home early.

Glass half full, he went on a quest to get rid of the demons that were holding him back and now he's back better than ever, renewed and rejuvenated. Resurrected if you will. I'm just making it up, cheers.

That would be a worry. Jahrome Hughes would solve a lot of problems, how old is he now? Get back here you purple bastard, it's an emergency.

Rocco Berry could play 7 tomorrow... But it would also be pretty sweet if Pezet turned into Joey when Munster is out for Origin this year, then maybe those cheats would let him come home lol

"Wahrome" Hughes fits too good to not happen

Back