Recruitment Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
key: T = Team option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 28/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 5/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 25/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 1/6

2025 Gains: Nil
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks)

Last edited:
It ain't happening, why would they give him up. Props are clearly in demand.

Question, why did we let him go in the first place? I remember the Sipley boys being well rated on here but it's been a while.
You’re probably right- player trades are always unlikely but it gives us something to talk about in the off season.
Manly aren’t bad off for props- paseka, alioa, lodge and a couple of young ones coming through plus the option of Trbojevic and bullemor playing there- that’s 5 that would walk into our 17 (6 if u count sipley).
Having another look at that link someone posted to their forum, they’re all keen on Curran with the preferred option of him playing 13 and Trbojevic moving to prop but they don’t think they would have the cap space (which plays into our hands).
They might see more upside in Curran being younger and more versatile with a higher ceiling….
I think most neutral fans would be more excited to sign Curran than Sipley- it’s just that he’s a square peg in a round hole here (ie not really what we need).

You’re probably right- player trades are always unlikely but it gives us something to talk about in the off season.
Manly aren’t bad off for props- paseka, alioa, lodge and a couple of young ones coming through plus the option of Trbojevic and bullemor playing there- that’s 5 that would walk into our 17 (6 if u count sipley).
Having another look at that link someone posted to their forum, they’re all keen on Curran with the preferred option of him playing 13 and Trbojevic moving to prop but they don’t think they would have the cap space (which plays into our hands).
They might see more upside in Curran being younger and more versatile with a higher ceiling….
I think most neutral fans would be more excited to sign Curran than Sipley- it’s just that he’s a square peg in a round hole here (ie not really what we need).
[IMG alt="Brookie Bob"]https://silvertails.net/data/avatars/m/31/31963.jpg?1680071223[/IMG]

Brookie Bob

"I come back to you now at the turn of the tide"​

To re-cap - the club has re-invested in Ethan Bullemor (Sea Eagles re-sign forward Ethan Bullemor), and signed Aitasi James (Sea Eagles secure young prop Aitasi James for next two years).

Toff Sipley - contracted till 2025
Josh Aloiai - contracted till 2025
Taniela Paseka - contracted till 2026

Sean Keppie was contracted till 2026, now apparently going to the Bunnies.

Morgan Boyle - his contract runs out this year, no news (as yet) of any renewal.
Aaron Woods - his contract runs out this year, no news (as yet) of any renewal.
Samuela Fainu - going to the Tigers.

Matthew Lodge - rumors of a contract for next year.

Our initial top 30 for this year contained Bullemor, Sipley, Aloiai, Paseka, Keppie, Boyle & S Fainu as props (Woods added in April s part of a player swap, and Lodge added in July on a trail and trial deal). This suggests that the Club is comfortable having 7 props making up the 16 or so total spots reserved for forwards.

If we assume that 5 props are locked-in (Sipley, Bullemor, James, Aloiai, and Paseka), and another is likely (Lodge) we have 6 of the 7 - assuming of course that Boyle and Woods will not be part of the club next year.

Of the latter two, Boyle and Woods, perhaps only Woods may get another year; possibly as cheap back-up and and for Luke Brooks to have a ready-made 'mate' at the club to help him get acquainted with his new club. Though - he dosn't need to take up a roster spot to do that.

In a full NRL season, it's same to assume that half your prop forwards are off the field injured - at least that's what we've been presented with in recent years. Seven props may be on the lean side - maybe 8 is needed, with versatility to play other positions.

All of that said - we could do with a young tearaway, vety mobile, middle forward with something to prove, who can cover both lock and prop. Josh Curran, perhaps?

Thought this was a good summary. They definitely could do without one of their props.

It ain't happening, why would they give him up. Props are clearly in demand.

Question, why did we let him go in the first place? I remember the Sipley boys being well rated on here but it's been a while.
I was one that was disappointed in us releasing him, but If I can recall correctly the scenario was that we only offered a min wage contract because we were stacked with props and Manly offered him an upgrade. At the time we had Gavet, Lillyman, Lisone, Pulu, Sao, Vete, Pat Sipley and Satae in our propping rotation.

There’s also the link to Manly with Pat, so it might have also been Tof wanting a fresh start in Aus after the horrible run of knee injuries.

Reactions: CWC
Also there’s talk on the manly forum that lodge’s new contract with them is over $600k. Issac Moses strikes again.

I flat out don't believe that. Has had 3 clubs in 3 years, his form is down and he's not in demand. No way they pay him over half of what Haas is getting, would be an absolute shocker on Manly's part

Which of those would come to NZ? Which could we realistically afford assuming we are under cap pressure that is forcing us to let Curran look elsewhere? Or is cap space just a red herring?

I flat out don't believe that. Has had 3 clubs in 3 years, his form is down and he's not in demand. No way they pay him over half of what Haas is getting, would be an absolute shocker on Manly's part
[IMG alt="Ryan"]https://silvertails.net/data/avatars/m/0/16.jpg?1664181979[/IMG]

Ryan

Journey Man​

Well, here we are, just as I informed everyone. Take the article with a grain of salt considering the source, but if true, it went down just as I told everyone it was going to.

Pretty dumb, releasing able bodied players, because you've given a top 30 contract to player after 5 seconds that will be out most of the season.

Once AGAIN, our forwards as a group look terrible.

EDIT: Hoodwinked into the dumbest contract in the NRL. Basically means we are already behind the eight ball salary cap wise than everyone else. If I told you the contract value I heard, people would be pissed.

www.zerotackle.com

Matt Lodge set to be awarded Top 30 contract for 2024

He will be on the sidelines for a big chunk of next season.
www.zerotackle.com
www.zerotackle.com

[IMG alt="Ryan"]https://silvertails.net/data/avatars/m/0/16.jpg?1664181979[/IMG]

Ryan

Journey Man​

Well, here we are, just as I informed everyone. Take the article with a grain of salt considering the source, but if true, it went down just as I told everyone it was going to.

Pretty dumb, releasing able bodied players, because you've given a top 30 contract to player after 5 seconds that will be out most of the season.

EDIT: Hoodwinked into the dumbest contract in the NRL. Basically means we are already behind the eight ball salary cap wise than everyone else. If I told you the contract value I heard, people would be pissed.

www.zerotackle.com

www.zerotackle.com
www.zerotackle.com
As long as Paseka, Sipley and I presume Jake don't get injured we should manage ok till Lodge comes on board. Do you you have any intel on what Lodge's contract is ? we are all dying to know Ryan.
Ryan is implying it's more than Keppies 600k per season. 🤔😩

Ryan

Journey Man​

www.zerotackle.com

www.zerotackle.com
www.zerotackle.com
The utter madmen. Poor birdbros.

Which of those would come to NZ? Which could we realistically afford assuming we are under cap pressure that is forcing us to let Curran look elsewhere? Or is cap space just a red herring?
I think once November comes, nobody has to be considerate of the rules about not approaching a player or agent prior and might start to see some movement. Some good players able to be negotiated with.

I think once November comes, nobody has to be considerate of the rules about not approaching a player or agent prior and might start to see some movement. Some good players able to be negotiated with.
Yes, but those questions still stand. If we are moving Curran on because of cap pressure and the need to upgrade existing players, then we can pretty much forget about a decent prop coming can't we?

Space on the roster, yes. Space in the cap though? Sipley is a big upgrade on Bunty. Also a more expensive contract.
Yeah I meant cap space depending on who we let go, has Jazz been told to look around or was that just rumour?

Yes, but those questions still stand. If we are moving Curran on because of cap pressure and the need to upgrade existing players, then we can pretty much forget about a decent prop coming can't we?
Couldn’t answer any of those questions, the club keeps their cards close to their chest these days. We haven’t been linked to a forward since Micheal Chee Kam, so I feel like if there is someone we’re after we’re waiting for November until they can be approached. On the flip side we may not have been linked to anyone because we’re not chasing someone. Just feel like the club is realistic enough to realise what we all saw, we can’t compete with big forward packs with the pack we’ve got.

Back