General Mt Smart Ground Announcer Thread

He just didnt read the room. When he called for the ‘Spider men crew’ or whatever they’re called to start a Mexican wave, it felt like a cricket match or a boring lopsided rugby game. Correct me if I’m wrong but pretty sure we don’t do Mexican waves at league games 😂😂

He just didnt read the room. When he called for the ‘Spider men crew’ or whatever they’re called to start a Mexican wave, it felt like a cricket match or a boring lopsided rugby game. Correct me if I’m wrong but pretty sure we don’t do Mexican waves at league games 😂😂
I’ve only ever seen a MW at MSS when we made the playoffs and were overrun by folk that got their kicks from yawnion where MWs are a dime a dozen and are started to overcome some of the boring aspects of yawnion

To be fair to the man, there have been worse ideas:
Some twat in the late 90s early 00s tried to make a Warriors song out of Lou Bega's "Mambo No 5" and uh, it was, um, BAD. Nonsensical and stupid.
Earlier, some other - or maybe it was the same - twat went "Ya know the chorus, the na-na-na-nanana bit from 'Hey Jude'? Let's turn that into a Warriors chant!" Even more BAD. Too slow. Any chant of "Warriors" needs to be fast. I guess he was getting inspiration from that bit in the film "The Warriors" ("Warriors! Come out to pla-ay!") but it don't work.

Who would be a sports broadcaster in New Zealand, there’s just a handful of jobs at sky and once your out of that boat, your like sumo doing the cricket which he sucks at.

Monty’s got an good voice, but is a bit captain obvious, but Lamar just .. nah .. blairy knows the game but that voice isn’t going to fly, costigan had his moments but was mostly annoying, McIvor was punishing, even Vossy got on the nerves when he was doing it every week.

Basically it’s all been downhill since Graeme Hughes!

No one pays or does not pay their sky sub due to commentators so they’ll never invest in that area.

As for the ground announcer, they’ve sold a million tickets this year, the crowd will do all your work for you, chants and gimmicks are for trying to make it a fun day out when the team sucks.
I really like Sam Hewat from SENZ. I think he's only been doing it since the start of last season, but I think it's a matter of time before he gets the sky gig.

I’ve only ever seen a MW at MSS when we made the playoffs and were overrun by folk that got their kicks from yawnion where MWs are a dime a dozen and are started to overcome some of the boring aspects of yawnion
The mexican wave is only spotted when the band wagon is full... when the band wagons full the teams playing well... Vicious circle & blessing and a curse.

They were trying to put their own stamp on the mexican wave also - calling it the "mana wave" which is a hand gesture greeting.
Bloody gimmick overload RD 1

My daughter did the mana wave to DWZ and did get the cuzzy eye brows back in return.

Back in the day - maybe early 2000's - Warriors had a few games at Eden Park whch were not too well patronised until the uni students got free tickets & turned up drunk in droves. They were a pain in the arse tbf. What happened last season reeks of lots of free tickets to build the crowd. Looks like they are back this season. Most of them know f'all about sport & get through their boredom with the mexican wave & loads of bullshit calls.
To have an announcer supporting this crap makes my decision not to be a financial member this year easy.
Is that Bruce enuff for you :LOL::LOL:😢

Back in the day - maybe early 2000's - Warriors had a few games at Eden Park whch were not too well patronised until the uni students got free tickets & turned up drunk in droves. They were a pain in the arse tbf. What happened last season reeks of lots of free tickets to build the crowd. Looks like they are back this season. Most of them know f'all about sport & get through their boredom with the mexican wave & loads of bullshit calls.
To have an announcer supporting this crap makes my decision not to be a financial member this year easy.
Is that Bruce enuff for you :LOL::LOL:😢
I'm sorry but not being a financial member when the top 4 and capture the public zeitgeist - you have a heart of stone!

ps Wasn't the first Eden Park Warriors game 2011 and a crowd of 38 000

I'm sorry but not being a financial member when the top 4 and capture the public zeitgeist - you have a heart of stone!

ps Wasn't the first Eden Park Warriors game 2011 and a crowd of 38 000
you are probably right abt 2011 - doesn't alter the fact that it was a manufactured crowd in the stand who moaned & played up because they were bored.
I've been a financial member of the Warriors since 1995 but these days I'm getting older, grumpier, & definately out of touch with today's entertainment. When I go to a game I want to see that game with people who understand that game - not be obstructed by jessies that jump on board to up the tempo with bloody made up slogans & flags left right & centre. May as well add I'm not happy with 'Up the Wahs' but if it works toward more folks interested in the game then go for it. I'll just watch it down at the Club with like minded folk.

We don't. They seem to be a favourite at rugby union or cricket matches. The worst thing for me in the whole night was when he tried starting a Mexican wave when the game was in progress...I mean WTF??? I don't go to league games to witness or take part in fkn Mexican waves!

1000007624.jpg

To the mount smart ground announcer, don't you ever ever ever ever ever come back here again.😄

Back