General 2011 NNRL Thread

Fazz_old

Mate, i live in Christchurch.... i will shake things up a bit!

Post of the year so far lol. Good to see you're trying not to let it get you down though man!

I'm so ready for this...last year was a learning experience...I'll be less rubbish this time. Haha

ToiletDuck_old

Yeah that's why I try help first time players out as much as I can...though it's quite hard to explain the bidding process well enough, nothing beats experience. Everyone is the same, do it once and just realise straight away where you could have done things better.

The 22 BEAST_old

Yeah that's why I try help first time players out as much as I can...though it's quite hard to explain the bidding process well enough, nothing beats experience. Everyone is the same, do it once and just realise straight away where you could have done things better.

The balance between try scoring backs and consistant forwards.

Fazz_old

Pretty much. And then there's always the rookies that come through, people who do their off-season homework get rewarded.

Yeah, it's one of the rewards to being a keen toyota cup fan. I got really lucky with T Sims. One of my only really good left field buys haha.

It also about checking stats, not looking at real life impact. For instance, you'd think Kevin Locke would be a better buy than Michael Luck or Simon Mannering, but not so in NNRL.

I reckon whoever ends up with DCE or Widdop will be pretty happy. Both of them should rake in some points.

Ryan_old

If you are thinking Widdop or DCE are going to be good NNRL buys for 2012 (as far as halves go), you could be on your way to another ordinary season. DCE may have gone okay in NNRL (I can't remember off the top of my head and the 2011 NNRL stats are unavailable for some stupid arse reason), but I'm gonna take a punt that (in NNRL) he didn't do so well, despite his awesome season in reality. The problem arises that he plays in a team that is loaded with talent (a la Broncos 2011) which makes it harder for him to shine out every game, and therefore does not accrue as many points as say Thurston or Benji (and although both of these examples have good team mates too, they stand out far more clearly than a Widdop or DCE).

Then again, they could both have killer (fantasy) seasons and I'll have egg on my face. But if one is to be reasonable about the idea (of recruiting those guys), I'd put them both firmly in the second choice basket.

Last edited by a moderator:

krs_64_old

I'm pretty certain Cherry Evans was among the points with DP and tries, quite regularly too in the 2nd part of the season.. I had him in my team from the start only to trade him off, not long after he started racking up the points lol. If DCE carries on his form the back end of the last season he'll still be a good buy IMO.

Ryan_old

Well judging by the number of tries DCE scored in the regular season, 6, which placed him seventh overall for tries scored by halves in the regular season, I'm still backing my punt (until we can actually check how many DP's he scored in 2011) that he was pretty ordinary (out of the halves) for fantasy value.

Fazz_old

I was more thinking depth wise since they aren't outstanding and will probably be most peoples second choices. Honestly, unless you get either a Thurston, Marshall or a goal kicker, your halves aren't going to net many points.

Ryan_old

Right, I understand. And I agree, they are good solid 2nd tier choices (as far as halves go). If one disregards goal kicking, the 1st tier halves (by prior form) have to be Cronk, Marshall and Thurston. These guys score lots of tries and are pretty much a given for a DP award if their team wins (mostly because they are fan favourites, or in Cronk's case, he's only competing for that award with 2-3 other players).

ToiletDuck_old

Yeah I would have thought Widdop would have struggled in the dominant stats given Cronk is in the same team. I never tend to worry much about my halves, though that probably explains why I've never won a comp. My recent love for Benji was really a decision based on Tiger stacking, his favouritism, his goal kicking and his ability to rack up the tries. JT is in the same category. I'd be willing to splash the cash for those two though I'd have a low threshold for buying a lesser half + minimiser goal kicker and spending the money elsewhere.

krs_64_old

Well judging by the number of tries DCE scored in the regular season, 6, which placed him seventh overall for tries scored by halves in the regular season, I'm still backing my punt (until we can actually check how many DP's he scored in 2011) that he was pretty ordinary (out of the halves) for fantasy value.

Hmm I'm gonna say the majority of the those tries came in at the back end ? Or half at the very least. I'd probably say his DP's would be around that figure too 6ish, 7 ? The majority coming in at the back end. Overall not bad when compared to other halves and also considering this was debut season after all... Just saying I wouldn't rule him out as a gun as he was impressive at the back end, I guess time will tell.

Fazz_old

All depends on Foran (and whether they win or not obviously) imo. Foran was craving up at the start of the season, scored me a ton of points, but then he dropped off towards the end and DCE was scoring tries, kicking goals and getting DP's.

The 22 BEAST_old

Im keen to play season 2012, where and how do we sign up?

Is someone starting a thread?