General 2011 Juniors

Spence_old

Yeah, he didn't really get much of an opportunity, but he defended well enough. Had a solid, but probably not outstanding enough game to get in the selectors eyes. If selectors wanted to see him in different positions, that must be a good sign - They have obviously got their eye on him. Yeah, Johnson was the blue 6, quiet second half, but I thought he showed some nice touches in the first.

How about that kick for touch from the Ranga halfback in the first half? Worst kick I have ever seen in my life.

Jr Warlord_old

good on those rugby kids for having a go at league and for the warriors under 20 side. its very hard in rugby to get a contract straight out of school and i don't think this kids want to be playing under 20 club rugby but its the only way they have to go to get to the itm cup but there's kids waiting from the year before as well. micheal fatialofa has just signed with southland rugby and he would have been a massive player in league he hits hard and loves taking the ball up.
mcgahan was already on the storms list while playing for mags in the national under 15 but his dads wanted him to play 1st xv first. a winger from st peters college has also been sign by the storm.

LordGnome_old

Apparently they had over 200 kids turn up to the junior Warriors trials this year.

Jr Warlord_old

there are now over 40% polynesian kids signed to play in the nrl under 20 comp and thats massive. i wouldn't be surprise if australia and oz parents start complainning at the amount of kiwi kids in the nrl. i think the 1st XV competition in nz is now the number one comp for talents in any codes and thats a good thing.

Spence_old

Apparently they had over 200 kids turn up to the junior Warriors trials this year.

Yep. 10 teams of trialists play a few Saturdays ago, plus they had a special trial for... I can't remember who, but one of the South Auckland clubs. Not to mention all the players who are already in the squad from last year.

Spence_old

I had an interesting talk with the Warriors Wellington based scout last night. There's a fullback coming out of their system that should be in the U20s squad this year by the name of (sorry, I'm terrible with Islander names - so I've probably got this somewhat wrong) Johnny Tuimalaga. He said he doesn't know for sure who is faster, but could easily go neck to neck with the Fish.

Anyone heard/know of him?

KeepingTheFaith_old

Sounds promising. My biggest concern about this season for the juniors is replacing the impact that Johnson, Fish, and Seluini had on the game. The rest of the line up is pretty solid, and we have one of the best backrows in the comp with Henry, Louisi, and Ikahihifo returning.

Would be good if we had a kid who had some wheels. Whether or not he can do anything else is the question.

Spence_old

Yeah, well the fact he isn't in the squad automatically could be a sign he isn't a superstar. Or perhaps they just haven't seen him play yet. You're right, that is a great backrow. Hopefully Tuimavave picks his game up even more and we could have a solid half too. Still lots of gaps around the place though.

That said, I wasn't expecting much at the beginning of this season and look what happened.

Northern_Union

What is everyones opinion of Tuimavave as a 6? A lot of people raved about him but i didn't think he was out standing as an attacking 6. Organizationally and as a link man he looks very promising.
Time will tell.

David Bragg_old

What is everyones opinion of Tuimavave as a 6? A lot of people raved about him but i didn't think he was out standing as an attacking 6. Organizationally and as a link man he looks very promising.
Time will tell.

I thought he did well and improved as the season went on and took on more responsibilty in a playmaking capacity
Not flashy but has a touch of flair an eye for a gap and passes well
He is eligible for the u20s for 2 more years
Warriors should keep him.

Northern_Union

Absolutely we should hang onto him. As far as development goes he's miles ahead of a lot players his age.
What i'd like to see a little more of is drifting across the face of the D line with the ball in both hands looking for players running into space. But as it stands the needs of the U20 are being met with Johnson providing these plays. But it is some thing i'd like to see the young man work on so the point of the attack isn't always with Johnson.

Jr Warlord_old

spence, i think kimani sitauta signed with the queensland reds. he went to brisbane on a school rugby scholarship with nudgee college. we have started trainning at mags this year already for 1st xv and look like some good players there this year but those who left will be hard to replace.

Spence_old

Yeah, I heard he was in the Reds system now, terrible shame. When you say we are you on the coaching staff?

Jr Warlord_old

Yeah, I heard he was in the Reds system now, terrible shame. When you say we are you on the coaching staff?
im the go between for players and school and make sure the kids leaving end up in the right club or environment. recruit from schools and old boys outside of zones and its all old boys stuff along with steve matais brother and others.

2big2strong_old

I don't want to be a pest but... Do you know anything about Tanqele Naiyaiavaro? Apparantly a big Fijian former rugby winger that has been very hard to contain for the Leopards.

He's a big fast Fijian who was on the end of a very good backline but didn't strike me as being anything special the few times I saw him. I doubt he's eligable for 20s either. The Leopards were so slick this year, they would go close to beating the NYC team. They had the ex Vulcans centre ATALEA NAFETALAI who is in his early 20s and virtually unstoppable.

Sorry to dredge up an old thread but it seems Tanqele has been signed up by the Tigers, will most likely play Toyota cup. I hope he doesn't bite us on the bum.

Teqele Nayarvovo, 19, wing (Otahuhu Leopards - New Zealand),
A giant winger from New Zealand's top provincial team, Nayarvovo stands well over six foot and carries a 100kg-plus frame. With a further year of NYC eligibility, keep an eye on him to develop through the program.
https://www.foxsports.com.au/league...ransfers/story-fn2mcuj6-1225975165315#match15

Viking_old

Sorry to dredge up an old thread but it seems Tanqele has been signed up by the Tigers, will most likely play Toyota cup. I hope he doesn't bite us on the bum.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/league...ransfers/story-fn2mcuj6-1225975165315#match15

Yeah saw that, good move by the kid. Ackland doesn't seem too keen on signing players if they're in their last year of eligability unless they're props. A friend of mine who does some work for the Warriors reckons he was told by Bell that if they haven't signed a player before they reach 18, that they're very unlikely to so. Not good news for the late developers out there.

Sheens is always giving young guys a run, I don't think Ben Murdoch would've been thrown in the deep end (semis) at any other club. Lawrence and Ayshford were still at school when they broke into 1st grade.

Spence_old

That seems a short sighted approach from Bell and co.

I disagree, they are using the U20s as a breeding ground for players, rather than trying to put together a new team of 19-20 year olds each year. Signing them up when they are young and helping them develope. Sure, they will miss out the occasional late developer, but you can't get anyone. Would you prefer to miss out on all the star 16 year olds going to Aussie?

Northern_Union

Professional set up shouldn't be missing out on quality players of any age. Tell me, conventional wisdom says a prop doesn't mature until his late 20's. How is there teeny booper approach going to work in that situation?

Viking_old

Professional set up shouldn't be missing out on quality players of any age. Tell me, conventional wisdom says a prop doesn't mature until his late 20's. How is there teeny booper approach going to work in that situation?

It's an unfortunate byproduct of the U20s comp but nothing new. On the flip side all the clubs are now getting to see more talent up close rather than plucking the odd star out of club football as they did prior to the NYC. I remember reading or hearing that the Broncos in the past felt that if they didn't get kids into their system before they were 16, they would pick up too many bad habits that the Broncos would have to train out of them. The Broncos would now be picking up older players to fill their U20s squad which gives more kids a shot.