General 2011 Juniors

Spence_old

Okay, I, like Iafeta, and I'm sure many other people, love to hype themselves up by hearing of up coming juniors. I don't know of very many, as I'm not in with that kind of crowd, but if you happen to hear of someone, good or not, chuck their details in here and let's start looking towards the (very bright) future!

The only ones I know are MAGS old boys, for example Ma'afu Likiliki, who is an absolute beast. I'm pretty sure he has already been signed up by the Warriors, not 100% sure. He plays prop/second row, Viking has talked about him a few times on here.

I got these off LU from Mean_Maori_Mean.

Sosuia Tauikeaho - Impressive backrower, has already played senior footy. Has already been signed up by the Warriors.

Bruce Ligaliga - Another lock, 6'3, Ali/Mateo type player, can play in the halves too.

Afa Veatupu - Short, nuggety player that can hit a hole. I'm not sure what position - apparently like Palavi, but I don't know if it's John or Daniel though.

Viking - What's happening with Sheldon Brown? Apparently he is/was a very good player?

Jesbass_old

Caitlin Nicola Taylor - future Kiwi Ferns captain and White Ferns captain. World Cup winner for sure. Should hit her prime in about 2030.

Spence_old

I hope you aren't going to abuse your journalistic powers and create a huge hype around her...

Actually you totally should.

Kabba_old

I thought Sheldon Brown switched to Rugby, well he was in the 2009 MAGS side that won the Auckland competition.

Haven't heard anything of him since then.

Kabba_old

Never mind what that offside shit has to say.

But seriously, I'm sure he played for Richmond in 2008, and then Union in 2009. I'm not sure he has stayed playing rugby or anything, just giving a bit of the background that I know.

Jesbass_old

I hope you aren't going to abuse your journalistic powers and create a huge hype around her...

Actually you totally should.

I already have.

Did I mention that she's already a cage fighter? Every time daddy kicks a puppy, she kicks an infant. It's awesome.

Viking_old

I thought Sheldon Brown switched to Rugby, well he was in the 2009 MAGS side that won the Auckland competition.

Haven't heard anything of him since then.

Signed for the Warriors for this year along with Kaleni Fraser and I'm sure he played prems for Richmond this year but last I heard he was in L.A. That was much earlier this year though.

Viking_old

Okay, I, like Iafeta, and I'm sure many other people, love to hype themselves up by hearing of up coming juniors. I don't know of very many, as I'm not in with that kind of crowd, but if you happen to hear of someone, good or not, chuck their details in here and let's start looking towards the (very bright) future!

The only ones I know are MAGS old boys, for example Ma'afu Likiliki, who is an absolute beast. I'm pretty sure he has already been signed up by the Warriors, not 100% sure. He plays prop/second row, Viking has talked about him a few times on here.

I got these off LU from Mean_Maori_Mean.

Sosuia Tauikeaho - Impressive backrower, has already played senior footy. Has already been signed up by the Warriors.

Bruce Ligaliga - Another lock, 6'3, Ali/Mateo type player, can play in the halves too.

Afa Veatupu - Short, nuggety player that can hit a hole. I'm not sure what position - apparently like Palavi, but I don't know if it's John or Daniel though.

Viking - What's happening with Sheldon Brown? Apparently he is/was a very good player?

Afa has been continuously injured for the last 2 years but he's been contracted to the Warriors longer than that. He was probably the best junior going around 2 years ago when he was physically dominant but he hasn't grown as fast as those around him. He's been playing 2nd row for Marist prems this year but he's just too small for it IMO and should be playing centre. Nothing like either Palavi brother really.

Dwayne Lisua from Staceys' Pt Chev Phelan Shield winning side is signed to the Warriors 20s for next year. The few times I saw Pt Chev this year, he was the standout besides Stacey. He's a short, stocky centre in the Matai mould with the same fiery attitude and speed to burn. He was in the NZ U16s a few years ago and was linked to the Bulldogs as well. I rate him as much better than Afa but he is already 19. There's also Maori kid from the Pirates team that is signed to NYC squad, a fullback I think but I don't know him.

Patrick Vaivai has been a standout in the Sharman Cup and I fully expect him to take a starting spot in the NYC team at either prop or 2nd row. He has the speed for centre and kicks goals as well.

I'm hoping Lance Sua Poe gets a good, injury free run next year. The guy is the size of a house and I read somewhere that he put Packer on his bum in opposed training earlier in the year.

There's a prop at Mangere, Fess Sapoaga I think, who is a force to be reckoned with. I'm pretty sure he's signed and there's another big forward from there is signed as well but I don't know his name.

Last edited by a moderator:

2big2strong_old

Afa has been continuously injured for the last 2 years but he's been contracted to the Warriors longer than that. He was probably the best junior going around 2 years ago when he was physically dominant but he hasn't grown as fast as those around him. He's been playing 2nd row for Marist prems this year but he's just too small for it IMO and should be playing centre. Nothing like either Palavi brother really.

Dwayne Lisua from Staceys' Pt Chev Phelan Shield winning side is signed to the Warriors 20s for next year. The few times I saw Pt Chev this year, he was the standout besides Stacey. He's a short, stocky centre in the Matai mould with the same fiery attitude and speed to burn. He was in the NZ U16s a few years ago and was linked to the Bulldogs as well. I rate him as much better than Afa but he is already 19. There's also Maori kid from the Pirates team that is signed to NYC squad, a fullback I think but I don't know him.

Patrick Vaivai has been a standout in the Sharman Cup and I fully expect him to take a starting spot in the NYC team at either prop or 2nd row. He has the speed for centre and kicks goals as well.

I'm hoping Lance Sua Poe gets a good, injury free run next year. The guy is the size of a house and I read somewhere that he put Packer on his bum in opposed training earlier in the year.

There's a prop at Mangere, Fess Sapoaga I think, who is a force to be reckoned with. I'm pretty sure he's signed and there's another big forward from there is signed as well but I don't know his name.

Hey Viking,

Do you have an update on JORDAN TUARAE? I remember that he was signed to the 20's after coming back from the Storm and heard massive things about him but I havn't heard of him since. Isn't he the same age as big Sammy? If so that would mean that he's still got 1 more year in the 20's I guess?

Viking_old

Hey Viking,

Do you have an update on JORDAN TUARAE? I remember that he was signed to the 20's after coming back from the Storm and heard massive things about him but I havn't heard of him since. Isn't he the same age as big Sammy? If so that would mean that he's still got 1 more year in the 20's I guess?

Yeah, he's been playing Fox all year for Tat Roosters and got them into the semi finals. I think he might of had a game or two for the Vulcans as well. He's a natural standoff compared to Carlos and Zensei and has more playmaking talent than both of them IMO. They're both more physical than Jordan though and played more of a complimentary role to Johnson whereas having Jordan partnering with Johnson would be too many cooks spoiling the broth. There aren't any halves coming through that I've heard of, except Charles Gabriel who could become a real find at halfback but he's still a bit young. Jordan could be in the reckoning for next year I suppose.

2big2strong_old

I don't want to be a pest but... Do you know anything about Tanqele Naiyaiavaro? Apparantly a big Fijian former rugby winger that has been very hard to contain for the Leopards.

Viking_old

I don't want to be a pest but... Do you know anything about Tanqele Naiyaiavaro? Apparantly a big Fijian former rugby winger that has been very hard to contain for the Leopards.

He's a big fast Fijian who was on the end of a very good backline but didn't strike me as being anything special the few times I saw him. I doubt he's eligable for 20s either. The Leopards were so slick this year, they would go close to beating the NYC team. They had the ex Vulcans centre ATALEA NAFETALAI who is in his early 20s and virtually unstoppable.

2big2strong_old

He's a big fast Fijian who was on the end of a very good backline but didn't strike me as being anything special the few times I saw him. I doubt he's eligable for 20s either. The Leopards were so slick this year, they would go close to beating the NYC team. They had the ex Vulcans centre ATALEA NAFETALAI who is in his early 20s and virtually unstoppable.

I only heard about the Fijian through some post match reports when I was trying to keep up to date with the Fox. They said that he was 18.

Congrats too on a pretty successful season with Bay Roskill, they seemed to pile on a lot of points in many of their games.

I also see that former Vulcan stand out Sione Tongia is playing NSW group 9 for Junee (Laurie Daley's old club). He was apparantly the form player of the entire comp and got his team to a Grand Final but they lost last week. I hope he finds an NRL side soon.

Spence_old

Another possible signing, huge signing I may add, Albert Nikoro. Last year he signed a stupid 3 year contract with Auckland rugby for $1000 a year, but I was told yesterday by one of the Mt Albert boys I tutor that Albert said that Albert told him personally that he was severing ties with Auckland Rugby and was almost definitely going to sign with the Warriors. At the moment I'll take it as hear say, but this person wouldn't make something like this up, so I'm hopeful. Viking, have you heard anything around this subject?

Anyway, back on the player. He was a ex-league boy, but stopped playing around 4th form or so and started playing rugby (Viking would know the exact time). He is primarily a fullback, but could play 6 at a pinch. He is definitely the most exciting first XV player I've seen in a long time, he would have been the standout player for the Secondary Schools team who took on Aussie and the best player on the park in pretty much every Junior Blues game this year.

I don't want to hype him up too much, but if he did sign with the Warriors, I would make sure you kept both eyes on him at all times.

Magic Stick_old

he would have been the standout player for the Secondary Schools team who took on Aussie and the best player on the park in pretty much every Junior Blues game this year.

I don't want to hype him up too much, but if he did sign with the Warriors, I would make sure you kept both eyes on him at all times.

Nikora wasnt even close to the standout player for the secondary schools side.mind you he went off after 25min with an injury.but didnt do anything in that 25

That NZ secondary schools side had some wicked talent in the backs

Spence_old

Oh really? I didn't actually see any of those games, it's just what I was told. We are all biased of course though

2big2strong_old

Does anyone else get the feeling that the Junior Warriors impressive/succesful season might play a part in swaying some of the up and coming junior Rugby players over to league and potentially the Warriors? Just a thought.

Spence_old

Does anyone else get the feeling that the Junior Warriors impressive/succesful season might play a part in swaying some of the up and coming junior Rugby players over to league and potentially the Warriors? Just a thought.

I definitely think so. In each match day programme at the first XV they had a player profile, and pretty much everyone's favourite player and favourite team was a NRL club (not necessarily the Warriors though). In high schools most people, even those that prefer league, play rugby so that can be chosen for rep teams and get recognition. With the introduction of a televised U20 comp, I think many people are drawn to that, because no matter how humble someone is, everyone that age wants to play on TV.

Just randomly, what is an average NYC salary? Because I know of someone, who isn't the greatest player, got signed by the Storm for $30,000. What's min/max contracts?