General 2010 Junior Warriors

• Thread starter 2big2strong_old
  • Start date

2big2strong_old

I was just having a look through the Warriors NYC player profiles and realized that we lose hardly any players next season. Because most of this years team were 19 or younger, we've been able to retain about 85% of the 2009 squad which gives us a great edge next year over most of our rivals. The core players of this years squad; Likiliki, Johnson, Mara, Taylor, Tupou and Ah Van have all got at least another year in the NYC with Ben Henry who was only 17 this year, elgible for another 2 or 3 years. There are another 23 fringe players from this years squad still eligible for next year including Seluini, Elijah Niko and Beau King.

Considering how good we were this year with such a young and inexperienced squad I can't wait to see what becomes of this champion team in 2010. We know that this team is capable of taking out the title, it's just a question of "is John Ackland capable of steering them to the title?". I think the U20's have lost/NRL side has gained a great attacking coach in Iro.

kingkole_old

never rated akland as a coach he built his reputation on the basis that he always had strong talented teams (local comp)hes always been a systems coach in yet when hes stepped up a level againts teams equally as talented he struggled so i dont know about this appointment, I would have rather them employ a aussie coach someone like Rip Taylor.

ToiletDuck_old

I hope so...obviously success will depend largely on whether Shaun Johnson can build on/deliver what he did in '09. I suppose what I'd like to see improved upon is their D, but this can basically be said about the whole Toyota Cup as a whole...half the teams concede 40+ points every week.

Magic Stick_old

I worry Ackland is going to undo all the good things Iro has done and there style of play...Id like to see the likes of Wiki and Joe Vagana etc involved with the 20's

Shaun Johnson is going to beast the toyota cup in 2010

Viking_old

I was just having a look through the Warriors NYC player profiles and realized that we lose hardly any players next season. Because most of this years team were 19 or younger, we've been able to retain about 85% of the 2009 squad which gives us a great edge next year over most of our rivals. The core players of this years squad; Likiliki, Johnson, Mara, Taylor, Tupou and Ah Van have all got at least another year in the NYC with Ben Henry who was only 17 this year, elgible for another 2 or 3 years. There are another 23 fringe players from this years squad still eligible for next year including Seluini, Elijah Niko and Beau King.

Considering how good we were this year with such a young and inexperienced squad I can't wait to see what becomes of this champion team in 2010. We know that this team is capable of taking out the title, it's just a question of "is John Ackland capable of steering them to the title?". I think the U20's have lost/NRL side has gained a great attacking coach in Iro.

From all the local signings I've been hearing about, the 20s squad could be a lot bigger next year, maybe 50 or more. I heard from one of the kids in the development squad that the 20s coaching team feel like they're short of a ball playing 13 which I find hard to believe. It'll be an interesting contest for the fullback spot that Locke and Cook had sewn up this year, maybe the Afghan kid could pinch it? There should be slots freed up in the 2nd row and centre though.

Shobal_old

Hey Viking,

Who are some of these signings your talking about ?

I remember last year you were the one who broke the news of James Gavet and what a player he turned out being now up with the top squad.

Who are the players that the Warriors signed up with the juniors for next year who you think could make a real name for themselves ?

Also did yo get to watch much of Sam Limu Franklin this year ?

Spence_old

I think one name to look out for is Ma'afu Likiliki, brother of suiatonga. I might be biased because I know him, but I think he has what is takes to make an impact.

Viking_old

Hey Viking,

Who are some of these signings your talking about ?

I remember last year you were the one who broke the news of James Gavet and what a player he turned out being now up with the top squad.

Who are the players that the Warriors signed up with the juniors for next year who you think could make a real name for themselves ?

Also did yo get to watch much of Sam Limu Franklin this year ?

I only saw Sam early in the year, he's a huge unit, fast and powerful but his hands weren't that flash, probably not used to playing the game at pace and would've been steamrolling opposition his own age for years which you don't get away with in the NYC. He certainly doesn't have the speed of Bill Tupou, that's the type of winger most teams seem to prefer. He was one of Otahuhu's top scorers in the Fox but then he stopped playing for them and I didn't see him in their 20s team at finals time so maybe he was injured.

James Gavet was a bolt out of the blue because he hadn't played club league but he was also a bit older than the rest, turning 20 early in the year so he had the advantage of being more mature physically. I can't think of any players that will have that kind of immediate impact next year.

There's a young prop from Bay Roskill, Patrick Vaivai who was contracted to the Storm but had to come back for family reasons and has signed to the 20s for next year. Roughly 6 foot and 110 kgs at 17, can bench press 140 and kick goals, captained the Auckland U16s and made the NZ U16s merit squad last year then made the NZ U18s merit squad this year. He'll be stuck behind a few of the other props like Lance Sua Poe and Beau King but he'll get game time for sure.

All of the signings look good, but the ones I'll be watching closer than others just because I've seen them come through the grades over the last 5 years are Simon Gibson who is all class, Donald Tony who is nothing like his brother Motu and a monster defender at loose forward, Jordan Tuarae who is back from a stint at the Storm and plays standoff which could see Elijah Taylor move back to lock, Lance Sua Poe and Samuela Lousi who are both freaken huge and talented but also plagued with injury and Zensei Inu who would have to be the most improved and maybe impressive U18 player in Auckland this year.

If I had to pick only one of those players above to graduate to first grade it would be Lance but he might end up being physically too big for the game and could be better suited as a rugby prop. I'm sure some of his injuries are result of growing too fast for his joints etc.

There's a few others I've heard of but I don't know the surnames.

Viking_old

I think one name to look out for is Ma'afu Likiliki, brother of suiatonga. I might be biased because I know him, but I think he has what is takes to make an impact.

Is he contracted to the 20s? I hadn't heard that but I'd be suprised if he featured next year just because of his age, he's bloody huge now though, much bigger than his brother. That could all change though depending on who puts in during the preseason which has already started.

2big2strong_old

Because of the success of Shaun Johnson, do you know if the warriors or any other team are targeting the massive pool of NZ touch players? From what I heard Shaun Johnson didn't play much league before 2008, have no idea if it's true. I've seen a lot of quality players go from touch to Rugby 7's and make an immediate impact, I see league as being more suited to touch players than Rugby and would love to see a few more Shaun Johnson's come through our system.

Viking_old

Yep. Viking's the man when it comes to locally grown talent.

Dunno about that, I don't get to see a lot of the kids out South, the North Shore of out of town until they actually get signed. One things for sure though, Melbourne get the cream which is why their squad is half the size of the other clubs.

You watch the kids enough, you see the ones that are getting by on natural talent or are in teams that make them look good and those that with a bit of fire in their belly that will be stars no matter where or who they play for. The kids here need to learn to hate losing.

Shobal_old

I only saw Sam early in the year, he's a huge unit, fast and powerful but his hands weren't that flash, probably not used to playing the game at pace and would've been steamrolling opposition his own age for years which you don't get away with in the NYC. He certainly doesn't have the speed of Bill Tupou, that's the type of winger most teams seem to prefer. He was one of Otahuhu's top scorers in the Fox but then he stopped playing for them and I didn't see him in their 20s team at finals time so maybe he was injured.

James Gavet was a bolt out of the blue because he hadn't played club league but he was also a bit older than the rest, turning 20 early in the year so he had the advantage of being more mature physically. I can't think of any players that will have that kind of immediate impact next year.

There's a young prop from Bay Roskill, Patrick Vaivai who was contracted to the Storm but had to come back for family reasons and has signed to the 20s for next year. Roughly 6 foot and 110 kgs at 17, can bench press 140 and kick goals, captained the Auckland U16s and made the NZ U16s merit squad last year then made the NZ U18s merit squad this year. He'll be stuck behind a few of the other props like Lance Sua Poe and Beau King but he'll get game time for sure.

All of the signings look good, but the ones I'll be watching closer than others just because I've seen them come through the grades over the last 5 years are Simon Gibson who is all class, Donald Tony who is nothing like his brother Motu and a monster defender at loose forward, Jordan Tuarae who is back from a stint at the Storm and plays standoff which could see Elijah Taylor move back to lock, Lance Sua Poe and Samuela Lousi who are both freaken huge and talented but also plagued with injury and Zensei Inu who would have to be the most improved and maybe impressive U18 player in Auckland this year.

If I had to pick only one of those players above to graduate to first grade it would be Lance but he might end up being physically too big for the game and could be better suited as a rugby prop. I'm sure some of his injuries are result of growing too fast for his joints etc.

There's a few others I've heard of but I don't know the surnames.

Of those players you mentioned Lance Sua Poe definetly raised my interest as he's a monster, could play that Joe Vagana role in the team if his fitness and agility levels are up there. Patrick VaiVai sounds like a tank.

Are you 100% sure the warriors signed Zensei Inu ?, this kid has had big wraps on him, some even mentioning he is a Feliteo Mateo type plaer. If the Warriors signed him it would be pretty inteligent, hopefully his game would develop here. How would you rate Inu next to Jordan Tuarae ? Tuarae was mentioned as having one of the best passing games in the juniors ranks. Having said that Shaun Johnson would probably have him well and truly covered.

Forgot about Samuela Lousi, how big is that kid now ? Centre or 2nd row ?

And how is James Te Pou getting on, Paramatta were guted to lose him I heard. To much talent on the Warriors Books which is great as we may finanlly get a real production line going, but some great talent is going to get cut for sure.

2big2strong_old

What's the difference in Melbournes recruiting Viking?

The Roosters bought Peter O'Sullivan off Melbourne who was meant to be the recruiting messiah, yet Melbourne have kicked on without him. Do they have a strong presence in NZ? I know that when O'sullivan was still there, Craig Bellamy would get wind of an up and coming player and just phone Peter and say "Fly to X location, there are rumours about X kid" and Peter would pick up a lot of players that way.

I'm also of the opinion that Craig Bellamy can take an average player, and turn them into a star.

Viking_old

Because of the success of Shaun Johnson, do you know if the warriors or any other team are targeting the massive pool of NZ touch players? From what I heard Shaun Johnson didn't play much league before 2008, have no idea if it's true. I've seen a lot of quality players go from touch to Rugby 7's and make an immediate impact, I see league as being more suited to touch players than Rugby and would love to see a few more Shaun Johnson's come through our system.

Don't know much about touch and I prefer tag anyway but I think we'll start to see a lot more playmakers coming out of local league. There's always been the SJs out there but prior to last year when they started the 4 man interchange rule, the halves were getting smashed out of the game or pinched by school rugby. Lucky for league, Shaun Johnson started club footy when the interchange rule was modified and he's also from an area and school that's outside of the union top grade school comp. Same goes for Jordan Tuarae. I can think of some outstanding halves that didn't get away and could've had similar impacts.

There's a growing trend for kids to play rugby in Japan straight out of school for good money. One of our best league players goes at the end of the year and he was being scouted by the Rabbitohs.

KeepingTheFaith_old

What's our forward pack looking like next season? I thought that was one of our big weaknesses this season, and on the surface losing Ah Mau, Gavet, Louisi and Afioga makes me a little worried.

Obviously I don't know much about the young guys other than what I've seen on Fox during the season. Are our forwards next season going to be too young to really make an impact or are they looking ready to step up? We still have the backs to push any other team by the looks of things.

Viking_old

Of those players you mentioned Lance Sua Poe definetly raised my interest as he's a monster, could play that Joe Vagana role in the team if his fitness and agility levels are up there. Patrick VaiVai sounds like a tank.

Are you 100% sure the warriors signed Zensei Inu ?, this kid has had big wraps on him, some even mentioning he is a Feliteo Mateo type plaer. If the Warriors signed him it would be pretty inteligent, hopefully his game would develop here. How would you rate Inu next to Jordan Tuarae ? Tuarae was mentioned as having one of the best passing games in the juniors ranks. Having said that Shaun Johnson would probably have him well and truly covered.

Forgot about Samuela Lousi, how big is that kid now ? Centre or 2nd row ?

And how is James Te Pou getting on, Paramatta were guted to lose him I heard. To much talent on the Warriors Books which is great as we may finanlly get a real production line going, but some great talent is going to get cut for sure.

A few years ago, Lance has the most skill for a big player that I'd seen along with Junior Afu who's at the Storm.

Yeah, Zensei is signed for sure. He'd be a Joel Moon type of player, plays a bit of center, standoff or could be a ball playing 13. He always had plenty of talent, just needed the work ethic to go with it. Jordan's a more natural half and his passing game is top notch, Shaun is a year or two older than Jordan so you can't compare them at the same age but Shaun is more spectacular, Jordan's more of an organiser. It'd be interesting to see them play together but it might be a case of too many cooks spoiling the broth eh.

Sam is about 6'5 and has been playing center for Richmond prems but I think he's had ankle problems for the last few seasons.

James lost his way a bit this year and got really out of shape even though he was dominant in the Auckland U20s comp. If he pulls his head in next year he should take one of the center spots on offer but there's plenty of competition from kids with less talent but more desire. It's up to him really. I heard that Parramatta didn't want to lose him but then I also heard recently that he just didn't make the cut up there so I don't know which story to believe.

Viking_old

What's the difference in Melbournes recruiting Viking?

The Roosters bought Peter O'Sullivan off Melbourne who was meant to be the recruiting messiah, yet Melbourne have kicked on without him. Do they have a strong presence in NZ? I know that when O'sullivan was still there, Craig Bellamy would get wind of an up and coming player and just phone Peter and say "Fly to X location, there are rumours about X kid" and Peter would pick up a lot of players that way.

I'm also of the opinion that Craig Bellamy can take an average player, and turn them into a star.

The difference is the lure of a top club I guess. Patrick Vaivai is a good example. He was the captain of the Auckland U16s and the standout player in the national comp last year. The Storm didn't take anyone else from that age group that I know of and Patrick had been training with the Warriors development for a few years already and would've been contracted to them easily but chose the Storm instead.

Spence_old

Is he contracted to the 20s? I hadn't heard that but I'd be suprised if he featured next year just because of his age, he's bloody huge now though, much bigger than his brother. That could all change though depending on who puts in during the preseason which has already started.

I'm under the impression he is, but I have no idea. Perhaps only on their books, rather than in the squad.

league01_old

ackland needs to buck up his ideas! hes playing boys at wrong positions! for example, hes playing KUTIA at hooker when Nafe Seluini was doing a great job at it last season with Mara. Also, Seluini has the speed and he does better at that then fullback. no one even knew of Kutia before this year now hes getting played at starting hooker over Seluini..now somethings wrong there.

Thomas Ah Van had an off game for the first trial but his rep has over shone that, he, along with Tupou scored the most tries last year yet Ackland is placing him as a newbie.

I think Ackland is over rated. Iro was a great coach!