General 2008 - make or break year

rovelli_old

the warriors pull the signing coup of a lifetime when they snared both steve price and ruben wiki. the experiece it brought to the squad cannot be described in words.

my question that i put to you warrior fans is if the warriors fail to win a premiership with price ad wiki will it be a major slap in the face for us fans that had to sit through the salary cap rorts or will it be a good stepping stone.

with the squad we have this year if we can put thigs togeather it could finally be the year all warrior fans have been waiting for

J_Hallow_old

well its the third year of cleary's plan, the third year was to make a grand final. im not going to say its a slap in the face, if we dont win the grand final this year it will be like every other year where i say we will it next year.

i think most are going to say that its about our halves making a differncec this year. we have the rest of the squad do to the job

Joe 90_old

Tbh when we signed Price and Wiki and with the state the club was in, we badly needed not only their experience, but the stability and leadership they could provide. They were and have been good investments, although it is debatable if the contract extensions (especially in Rubes case) were needed.
It has also meant that we were unable to go after talent in a few key positions, to enable us to take that next step. Which leads us to probably the most important player in the team this year, your namesake.

I think we have most bases covered this year and probably should make the 8. How far we go in the finals will to a large extent depend on a certain G. Rovelli. (i dont like singling out 1 player like that but man he's the halfback. It comes with the territory, he needs to deal with it and take ownership of the position.) As i was saying most of last year.."time to step up dude!"

Last edited by a moderator:

JonB_old

I think it is the only year within the next 2-3 years that we can make the GF. If we don't we don't thats sports, anything can happen form at the right time or injuries. Bounce of the ball.

J_Hallow_old

Tbh when we signed Price and Wiki and with the state the club was in, we badly needed not only their experience, but the stability and leadership they could provide. They were and have been good investments, although it is debatable if the contract extensions (especially in Rubes case) were needed.
It has also meant that we were unable to go after talent in a few key positions, to enable us to take that next step. Which leads us to probably the most important player in the team this year, your namesake.

I think we have most bases covered this year and probably should make the 8. How far we go in the finals will to a large extent depend on a certain G. Rovelli. (i dont like singling out 1 player like that but man he's the halfback. It comes with the territory, he needs to deal with it and take ownership of the position.) As i was saying most of last year.."time to step up dude!"

i think with ravs he just has to be hit hard, i think sometimes when he runs at the line sometimes he kind of stops instead of just pinning the ears back. i think when he gets hit hard, the fear of it will be gone...... well i hope

Jesbass_old

the warriors pull the signing coup of a lifetime when they snared both steve price and ruben wiki. the experiece it brought to the squad cannot be described in words.

my question that i put to you warrior fans is if the warriors fail to win a premiership with price ad wiki will it be a major slap in the face for us fans that had to sit through the salary cap rorts or will it be a good stepping stone.

with the squad we have this year if we can put thigs togeather it could finally be the year all warrior fans have been waiting for
Make or break year? Moreso for your namesake than anyone else, I feel.

Skinny_Ravs82

This could be looked at in different ways really. I don't reckon it would all be a total failure if we don't, because we're on the same level as just about every other team, everybody wants the same thing and it will come down to certain individuals and who wants it more

Jesbass_old

This could be looked at in different ways really. I don't reckon it would all be a total failure if we don't, because we're on the same level as just about every other team, everybody wants the same thing and it will come down to certain individuals and who wants it more
A valid point. Referring to your first sentence, what are the different ways to look at it?

Skinny_Ravs82

1- with Price and Wiki, they have given us that much needed experience and guidence
2- in the last couple of years we've seen some improvements in areas that looked surely lacking previous. in terms of taking advanatges (well that does still need a bit of work as does the closing out of a few games)

3) the stability in keeping the same side together for several weeks even though you could say we lacked the opperunity to have that much more youth in this side compared to a few of the other clubs.

Joe 90_old

i think with ravs he just has to be hit hard, i think sometimes when he runs at the line sometimes he kind of stops instead of just pinning the ears back. i think when he gets hit hard, the fear of it will be gone...... well i hope
Yeah, that's probably what annoy's me the most with his game - his inability/unwillingness to take the line on.

The thing is, the guy's got gas. We've seen it in his supporting play. He's quick off the mark and he should be targetting individuals in the defensive line and having a go. Last season it was too much just catch and pass from him, leaving the creative stuff to people outside him. Defences knew he wasn't going to ask any questions so were able to drift off shutting down the outsides.

If he just backs himself from time to time and has a go, even if he get's caught, our attacking game will improve significantly. Hopefully Ivan's been on his case all offseason.