Skinny_Ravs82

warriors.co.nz

Vodafone Warriors standoff Jerome Ropati was a selection casualty when Kiwi coach Brian McClennan named his side today to face Great Britain in Saturday night's Gillette Tri-Nations test at Wellington's Westpac Stadium.
The 21-year-old played in each of the first three tests and was also used in the No 6 jersey again when the Kiwis beat the New Zealand Residents 34-4 in Greymouth last Saturday.
But McClennan has recalled Manly centre Steve Matai, now recovered from a shoulder injury, meaning Nigel Vagana has been moved back to standoff with Ropati out of the side completely.
Also back from injury is Shontayne Hape on the right wing (for Tame Tupou) and Dene Halatau (for Nathan Fien), who'll start at hooker.
Returning to the squad after missing the Christchurch victory over Great Britain is Melbourne prop Adam Blair. He's on the bench instead of St Helens front rower Jason Cayless.
In other changes Vodafone Warrior Simon Mannering will start in the second row and South Sydney's David Fa'alogo will be at loose forward.
The full side is:

1 Brent Webb (Vodafone Warriors)
Tests: 14
NRL Games: 103
2 Shontayne Hape (Bradford Bulls)
Tests: 9
NRL Games: 28
English Super League: 98
3 Iosia Soliola (Sydney Roosters)
Tests: 3
NRL Games: 40
4 Steve Matai (Manly Sea Eagles)
Tests: 2
NRL Games: 35
5 Manu Vatuvei (Vodafone Warriors)
Tests: 8
NRL Games: 35
6 Nigel Vagana (Cronulla Sharks)
Tests: 36
NRL Games: 208
7 Stacey Jones (Les Catalans Dragons)
Tests: 44
NRL Games: 238
English Super League Games: 16
8 Ruben Wiki (c) (Vodafone Warriors)
Tests: 53
NRL Games: 266
9 Dene Halatau (Wests Tigers)
Tests: 4
NRL Games: 67
10 Roy Asotasi (Bulldogs)
Tests: 14
NRL Games: 84
11 David Kidwell (Melbourne Storm)
Tests: 22
NRL Games: 171
12 Simon Mannering (Vodafone Warriors)
NRL Games: 24
13 David Fa'alogo (South Sydney Rabbitohs)
NRL Games: 76

Interchange:

14 Motu Tony (Hull FC)
Tests: 11
NRL Games: 58
English Super League Games: 61
15 Nathan Cayless (Parramatta Eels)
Tests: 30
NRL Games: 164
16 Adam Blair (Melbourne Storm)
Tests: 2
NRL Games: 16
17 Frank Pritchard (Penrith Panthers)
Tests: 7
NRL Games: 61

JonB_old

I don't like that team so much........... I thought Ropati should of been in it...

Skinny_Ravs82

Mumph, neither do I. By the looks of it we might as well just give the game over to GB. We're probably going to get clobbered with a group like that. I mean...Nigel back @ 5/8?!?!?!?! Haven't they learnt their lesson that he just doesn't belong there? :roll:

Jesbass_old

I think Bluey has something up his sleeve, though I don't know what. But I do think it involves Vagana, specifically. I thought selecting Hape at lock in the final last year was a suicidal move, so maybe he'll prove us all wrong again on the weekend.

Skinny_Ravs82

Well I'm hoping he's got something otherwise we're just going to be shooting blanks, and that would be a real worry. Nice to se Hape back thou :D

Jesbass_old

Skinny_Ravs82 said:
Well I'm hoping he's got something otherwise we're just going to be shooting blanks, and that would be a real worry. Nice to se Hape back thou :D

As much as I would have preferred Vagana to not be playing in the number six jersey, I hardly think that nullifies our entire attack to the point of 'shooting blanks'. :?

fiamacho_old

Jesbass said:
I think Bluey has something up his sleeve, though I don't know what. But I do think it involves Vagana, specifically. I thought selecting Hape at lock in the final last year was a suicidal move, so maybe he'll prove us all wrong again on the weekend.

Mate all Bluey has up his sleeve is arm pit hair, that Team will not beat G.B ... Like I said G.B by 15 points.

Swanley_old

Good point fia.

That team looks like a pix-a-mix of lollies from the supermarket.

Too many players out of position to win a test.

GB could leave us with red faces on Saturday night.

Skinny_Ravs82

fiamacho said:
Jesbass said:

Mate all Bluey has up his sleeve is arm pit hair, that Team will not beat G.B ... Like I said G.B by 15 points.

:lol:

Kav_old

Swanley said:
Good point fia.

That team looks like a pix-a-mix of lollies from the supermarket.

Too many players out of position to win a test.

and not including the one player/position switch that should be made!

Kav

*~*Fa'AhVaN*~*_old

to me it doesnt look like a bad side, and i dont think its where we play its how we play, if we had a great defenciv team and all players were great in attack does it really matter what position there playing, most of the players are in there usual positiona anyway i dont see wat the problem is, i think we'll win.

Kav_old

*~*Fa'AhVaN*~* said:
to me it doesnt look like a bad side, and i dont think its where we play its how we play, if we had a great defenciv team and all players were great in attack does it really matter what position there playing, most of the players are in there usual positiona anyway i dont see wat the problem is, i think we'll win.

Should we switch the forwards and backs around Fa'?
That team would look something like this?

1 Motu
2 Mannering
3 Kidwell
4 Pritchard
5 Faalogo
6 Wiki
7 Halatau
8 Vatuvei
9 Webb
10 Soliolo
11 Matai
12 Hape
13 Vagana

Res:
Jones
Asostasi
Blair
Cayless

You reckon they'd have as much chance as the current team?

Kav

Jesbass_old

Kav said:
*~*Fa'AhVaN*~* said:

Should we switch the forwards and backs around Fa'?
That team would look something like this?

1 Motu
2 Mannering
3 Kidwell
4 Pritchard
5 Faalogo
6 Wiki
7 Halatau
8 Vatuvei
9 Jones
10 Soliola
11 Matai
12 Tupou
13 Webb

You reckon they'd have as much chance as the current team?

Kav

I strongly dislike this side, but if they get the job done, I'll be a happy man.

I remember reading an article heading into this year's grand final where Wayne Bennett was saying that he preferred to just pick his top 17 players, regardless of where they ended up on the field.

Swanley_old

Didn't Kidwell used to play i the centres !!!!!

Anyhoo, good point Kav.

This is a very average team and it will require a poor display by GB for us to win.

Skinny_Ravs82

Swanley said:

Anyhoo, good point Kav.

This is a very average team and it will require a poor display by GB for us to win.

Even if they played crap they'd probably still win :cry:

*~*Fa'AhVaN*~*_old

Skinny_Ravs82 said:
Swanley said:

Anyhoo, good point Kav.

no they wouldnt, why does everyone think kiwis r gonna lose! were gonna win ffs! HAV FAITH PPL!!! BRING ON THE POMS!! :)

Jesbass_old

Skinny_Ravs82 said:
Swanley said:

Anyhoo, good point Kav.

Are you serious? You honestly don't think we can beat Great Britain, even if they don't turn up to play? :shock:

Swanley_old

Let's hope by us all(except Ah van and skinny) writing off the Kiwis, they prove us wrong and play a blinder and win.

We were flat for our 3rd game, let us hope the Poms are the same.

Kav_old

It is not the fact that we can't beat them but the margin required that worries me.

Kav