General 20 40s

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
May 8, 2012
Yep I was thinking that as well. I think it will make the game more exciting but it does punish a dominant defensive team. You could have a perfect kick into the in goal. The opposition takes 4 tackles to get to their own 20m line and then someone like Cameron Smith kicks a 20/40 and get the ball back way up the field. He is the person who can take advantage of this the most in my opinion.

But it does make the game more exciting for the fans which I think is the most important factor here and teams with fast men on the outside can create havoc.
But teams like the Warriors won't benefit from it without an accurate long range open field kicker (and no fast wingers).
i actually see a number of factors in this, one of which is fatigue on the wingers, having to drop back again and again so that they dont try the 20/40 will affect them, as such you cant rely on them for the number of carries that they are currently doing. Them droping back will create space as has been said for teams that arent as physically dominant to allow speed back into the game.

the rule i think will make little to no difference is the tackling the attacking player in midair. Given that they come and go on allowing shepherding it probably wont make a lot of overall difference. Another one of those rules where they dont police it evenly anyway so why bother. I mean can you imagine anyone using a captains challenge for a shepherd?

And last of all the captains challenge. I wonder what it will apply to. Yes i know im famous for blaming bad calls at the end of the game for stopping the warriors from being in the top 8 this year, but that challenge could have made a massive difference to the outcomes of several games. However a bad call in the last 5 minutes of a close game will always have an affect, so i can see teams using this to break momentum in the last part of a game even if it wasnt necessary and thus just becoming another tactic.

warriors55

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 12, 2017
i actually see a number of factors in this, one of which is fatigue on the wingers, having to drop back again and again so that they dont try the 20/40 will affect them, as such you cant rely on them for the number of carries that they are currently doing. Them droping back will create space as has been said for teams that arent as physically dominant to allow speed back into the game.

the rule i think will make little to no difference is the tackling the attacking player in midair. Given that they come and go on allowing shepherding it probably wont make a lot of overall difference. Another one of those rules where they dont police it evenly anyway so why bother. I mean can you imagine anyone using a captains challenge for a shepherd?

And last of all the captains challenge. I wonder what it will apply to. Yes i know im famous for blaming bad calls at the end of the game for stopping the warriors from being in the top 8 this year, but that challenge could have made a massive difference to the outcomes of several games. However a bad call in the last 5 minutes of a close game will always have an affect, so i can see teams using this to break momentum in the last part of a game even if it wasnt necessary and thus just becoming another tactic.

The wingers being fatigued would hurt Kearney's gamplan of the back 3 taking the first 3 hitups every set. Might make us change our style of play.

Or he will keep doing the same thing and we end up playing even worse than last season.

Miket12

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 20, 2012
Whats gonna be most interesting for me is seeing if SK can adjust his strategy to the new rules. Not getting my hopes up too high but you never know your luck.
Don’t worry.... Brian Smith will explain the new rules and how to exploit them to SK. Oh, wait a minute..... we’re stuffed.

pleatedpantspete

1st Grade Fringe
Oct 9, 2012
this is our year boys - no need to do anythign different.

resign adam blair - sign someone with a long boot on them, that's all we need. Shouldn't take much to change from our existing gameplan to one where we take advantage of these rules;

1) let opposition team make heaps of metres due to poor defensive effort/read/defensive anything
2) start ball from our own goal line. make 20 metres in 4 plays with our shit forwards
3) kick 20-40
4) maumalo runs the next play, 15-20 metre gain
5) 20-25 metres out, bomb to Fusitua. can't be tackled in the air, try time.

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings