General 20 40s

wrighty

The rule and operational changes are as follows:

1. A 20/40 rule will be introduced in addition to the existing 40/20 rule;

2. The "mutual infringement" law will be amended, allowing the referee to replay the previous play-the-ball in the event of play being irregularly affected by circumstances out of the players' control

3. The team with the loose head and feed will be able to nominate to pack a scrum from three lateral positions (the nearest 10-metre line, the 20-metre line, or in line with the black dot on the crossbar). Teams will be given five seconds to inform the referee of their choice of scrum position.

4. The act of tackling a player in mid-air will be banned whether the player initiating contact is the attacking player or the defending player, in line with the current International Laws of the game.

Bushman

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 12, 2016

wrighty

Here too,
"
The Commission also endorsed the introduction of a general-play "challenge" system and NRL management will work through all the operational details with a final report to be provided to the commission in February.

It is likely teams would receive one challenge per match – they would get another challenge if their first one was upheld but lose the option if it was unsuccessful.

The 20/40 kick will work in a similar fashion to the existing 40/20 rule.

A team in possession will earn another set via a tap-kick if they kick the ball from within their own 20-metre zone and find touch within the opposing team's 40-metre line. "

Thanks Bushman. I have mixed feelings about the challenge system

1) You need a good captain and I can see Roger Tuivasa-Sheck not making good use of it

2) it will add 5 minutes of dead time and replays to each match

On the plus side we could have challenged that Roger Tuivasa-Sheck forward pass against the eels

Bushman

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 12, 2016
1) You need a good captain and I can see Roger Tuivasa-Sheck not making good use of it

Perhaps you could right, though feel to the contrary, now the refs will have to listen to Roger Tuivasa-Sheck.

The other changes could be massive, some smart coaches are going to change the style of play. Feel like SK got enough going on without these added changes to factor in.
Could work out well for us though, we where one of the teams that got given the most pentalies in our own end 20/40 not a bad option.
And Fusitua, hopefully with healed up ribs can't be taken out mid air without repercussions now.

matiunz

This year yet?
Contributor
Jul 15, 2013
Sydney
Adds a new element so can’t see the harm, the 20/40 rule and the scrum position promotes thinking outside of the robotic drones most teams have become so why not.
Captains challenge works ok in cricket so hope it works with league.
Any changes that get the trainers off the field is fine by me too.
Happy with the changes but I wish they’d gone with the idea to give losing golden point teams 1 comp point as it’s technically a draw

fizurg

1st Grade Fringe
May 18, 2012
hamilton
I don’t really get the 20/40 rule. 40/20s are rare enough and I can only see 20/40s being used even less. Going for one and missing is pretty high risk. Will take balls of steel for the players that attempt them.

warriors55

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 12, 2017
I like it. Teams will have to drop their wingers back earlier in the tackle count in case someone goes for it on the 3rd or 4th tackle stuck inside their own 20 and needing a big play.

Means there could be more space on the outside for teams deciding to run it late in the tackle count from inside their own 20.

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
I like it. Teams will have to drop their wingers back earlier in the tackle count in case someone goes for it on the 3rd or 4th tackle stuck inside their own 20 and needing a big play.

Means there could be more space on the outside for teams deciding to run it late in the tackle count from inside their own 20.
So somebody who can kick will be way more valuable. Who do we have like that? The last time I remember seeing 40/20s at MSS were Bully and Green (when he was playing for Manly!!)

warriors55

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 12, 2017
So somebody who can kick will be way more valuable. Who do we have like that? The last time I remember seeing 40/20s at MSS were Bully and Green (when he was playing for Manly!!)

Now we don't have Shaun Johnson it's probably up to Chanel Harris-Tavita.
Nikorima sure won't be kicking any. Does Green have it in him anymore?

Don't think our hookers have much of a boot on them.

Reactions: Raw Power and bruce

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
It will be interesting to see if this rule is taken advantage of in 2020. The stripping rule seemed to take a season before we saw in widely used.

There was some articles on the Sydney Morning Herald the other day about how the AFL and NRL are going about changing their products to get more broadcast money. The AFL debating their 20 minute half time as shortening it annoys fans as its less time to drink beer. I suppose that isn't a bad problem to have. The NRL was the rule changes and also splitting the game into quarters. That would give more opportunities for advertising but a better product with ball in play would hopefully increase ratings. Their argument was due to modern attention spans. Again for that having a quicker game that is closer to the allocated 80 instead of 100+ with stoppages would help.

Since they have added the red markings for the 40/20 rule you see a lot of kicks just on the 40 metre. Obviously getting close to the 40 reduces the kicking distance for the 40/20. I always thought they could make a rule encouraging teams trying to regather the kick. Then I always come back to preferring things were simplified to keep the ball in play. Most of the changes I'd prefer would be to eliminate the wrestling and get more fatigue to get the game losing its structure towards the end.

Reactions: Worried2Death

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
May 8, 2012
It will be interesting to see if this rule is taken advantage of in 2020. The stripping rule seemed to take a season before we saw in widely used.

There was some articles on the Sydney Morning Herald the other day about how the AFL and NRL are going about changing their products to get more broadcast money. The AFL debating their 20 minute half time as shortening it annoys fans as its less time to drink beer. I suppose that isn't a bad problem to have. The NRL was the rule changes and also splitting the game into quarters. That would give more opportunities for advertising but a better product with ball in play would hopefully increase ratings. Their argument was due to modern attention spans. Again for that having a quicker game that is closer to the allocated 80 instead of 100+ with stoppages would help.

Since they have added the red markings for the 40/20 rule you see a lot of kicks just on the 40 metre. Obviously getting close to the 40 reduces the kicking distance for the 40/20. I always thought they could make a rule encouraging teams trying to regather the kick. Then I always come back to preferring things were simplified to keep the ball in play. Most of the changes I'd prefer would be to eliminate the wrestling and get more fatigue to get the game losing its structure towards the end.
the rule that should have made the biggest difference is the interchange numbers, however you now see many, many more HIAs than you ever did before and a lot of them arent passing them so reducing numbers. Maybe a rule that states if you hit someone and they cant return after an HIA you lose a player as well. Would add a real random element to the game.

But yeah the 20/40 rule will create some confusion and i think some teams will take advantage sooner than others. the fact that all teams are going to have to drop wingers back early in the count is going to create some space no matter what, so it might have a place in the game

wizards rage

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 18, 2016
Tauranga
I don’t see the point of rewarding a
20/40’s to a poor team that can’t make ground. You effectively penalise a strong defensive effort where you pin them on their own line.

It’s designed to even the game by giving a leg up to the struggling team by taking away the advantage to the team putting more effort in. Next they will stop keeping scores and be give out participation medals 😉

warriors55

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 12, 2017
I don’t see the point of rewarding a
20/40’s to a poor team that can’t make ground. You effectively penalise a strong defensive effort where you pin them on their own line.

It’s designed to even the game by giving a leg up to the struggling team by taking away the advantage to the team putting more effort in. Next they will stop keeping scores and be give out participation medals 😉

Yep I was thinking that as well. I think it will make the game more exciting but it does punish a dominant defensive team. You could have a perfect kick into the in goal. The opposition takes 4 tackles to get to their own 20m line and then someone like Cameron Smith kicks a 20/40 and get the ball back way up the field. He is the person who can take advantage of this the most in my opinion.

But it does make the game more exciting for the fans which I think is the most important factor here and teams with fast men on the outside can create havoc.
But teams like the Warriors won't benefit from it without an accurate long range open field kicker (and no fast wingers).

Boats n Hoes

1st Grade Fringe
May 14, 2012
Interested in the scrum changes (been calling for that one for ages).

Finally with the opening up of the field we may see the return of the set backline play off the scrum? (Tim Sheens was the master of that at the Tigers)

Be interesting to see if Kearney and co have the inventiveness to actually come up with something dazzling, or they just persist with the usual one off the ruck hit up?

Mind u wont count for much until the refs grow some balls and actually penalize teams for breaking early (happens at every scrum).....sick of seeing first receiver getting the ball and tackler at the same time........swear some of these changes wouldnt be necessary if ref's just did their job and penalized to the rules.

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings