General 2 wellington NRL bids

DavidMcKay1974

DavidMcKay1974

Then add guys with league back grounds like Piri Weepu and the Umagas from wainuiamata. League is pretty big in wellington with a big club scene not as advanced as Auckland but it does have one with some derbies in it.

Basically as I know it there's the Porirua Vikings - St George Dragons Derbys (St George basically Porirua as well) and then there are the Upper Hutt Lower Hutt derbys and any team playing Wainuiomata considers that a great rivalary.

And I'll also add that even though League isn't as strong as Auckland, I think they rate themselves as higher than Rugby especially out Porirua way. The history is real steep. And I've only lived here for 4 years.

It's got great support from Titahi Bay (Home area of Michael Campbell - NZ Golfer), and the surrounding areas.

DavidMcKay1974

DavidMcKay1974

thats why i want to know who the people behind the bids are and what kind of financial weight are they rolling with? i heard people at work in petone saying petone rec is a certainty i hope thats the case wellington region needs a quality medium sized sports venue there isnt one at present.

Christchurch (canterbury province) in particular and west coast of south island, manawatu and taranaki near wellington all have reasonable juniors and a league history and have players ifrom those areas in the nrl its not just wellington juniors that a side would be built on but rest of the country south of waikato.

here some of the current nrl players that hail from wellington and areas of the country south of waikato no doubt there a few more than that ive missed

mat mcillwick - raiders - chrischurch
matt duffie - storm - christchurch
slade griffen - storm - west coast
simon mannering - warriors - tasman / wellington
ben matulino - warriors - wellington
charlie gubb - warriors - wellington
issac luke - souths - wellington / taranaki
lewis brown -panthers - christchurch
russell packer - um well currently playing for long bay crash xiii anyway from manawatu originally

Also add Stephen Kearney to the mix - Played for Randwick Kingfishers and wellington.

drake83

Basically as I know it there's the Porirua Vikings - St George Dragons Derbys (St George basically Porirua as well) and then there are the Upper Hutt Lower Hutt derbys and any team playing Wainuiomata considers that a great rivalary.

And I'll also add that even though League isn't as strong as Auckland, I think they rate themselves as higher than Rugby especially out Porirua way. The history is real steep. And I've only lived here for 4 years.

It's got great support from Titahi Bay (Home area of Michael Campbell - NZ Golfer), and the surrounding areas.

Are you living in T-bay. I lived there till last year dont forget kapiti bears is in that comp and im sure there is a petone team and like 3 from wellington incliding university.
Also if Wellington had an Nrl team could have converted the likes of Fruen and Savea.
Rugby is pretty big in porirua norths supplys a lot of lions.

Hitman82

Hitman82

+mose masoe.

There's a strong league following and club scene here imo. I have a lot of mates playing for Wainui, petone, harbour city etc and the top grade quality is solid.
We could handle an Nrl team imo but fuck the cake tin.
Petone is a short drive or train from central and it's a lovely waterfront suburb with excellent eateries. People would flock to games held there at a rectangular stadium.
There's such a shortage of top level league in nz that you'd see regular home game visitors from kapiti, wairarapa, manawatu, even taranaki and the south I would say.
Won't happen but.

Reactions: 1 users
snake77

snake77

There's such a shortage of top level league in nz
Like the argument for a second Brisbane team; where the NRL would have a game in Brisbane each weekend. There would be a game in NZ every week. At the 9's they said NZ was an important market the key question is how important.

In terms of money brought into the game it would still be behind Perth and Brisbane but hopefully they could position the NZ bid above the Central Coast and the other QLD bids. When the Titans were admitted where were the other bids from at that time? Central Coast and Wellington is the ones I can remember not sure if Perth was on the table then.

Reactions: 1 user

kiwi's 13-6

good point to note that if there was 2 nz nrl sides an they scheduled home games on alternate weekends you would have 1 nrl game played in new zealand every week! i think the reason key warriors people have been publicly against another nz nrl side is they dont want competition for sponsorship dollar and media attention! I mean if both sides play home games in nz on alternate weekends and there based 750km away from each other theres very little chance of under cutting each others actual real supporter base. about as much chance as Melbourne storm cutting into st George dragons suppourt in sydney which is about 750km away from each other as well!

hutt valley and porrirua are the main league playing areas in wellington, Hutt valley population 180,000 has 5 rugby league clubs, porirua population 50,000 has 4 clubs, kapiti coast population 30,000 has 1 club, wellington city population 200,000 only has 2 rugby league clubs one of which university is current champs but as a uni side they have no juniors below u19 level so only 1 club for kids to play rugby league at in the whole of wellington city, used to be 3 clubs up til early 2000's harbour city still going in newtown with kids sides and senior side below premier level, miramar roosters folded they were to gang affiliated and poorly run and after years of bad results in all grades they folded in year 2000 i think and marist northern based in northern suburbs again poorly run and top heavy premier side focused club in a location a bit off the beaten track indstrial area of Grenada north (near Tawa a suburb not known for its support of rugby league) club died in 2001 i think? anyways luckily university hunter poped up when they did refreshing to have a club where people involved have some brains and open to accepting people from anywhere wheather your chinese or from Png or wherever all are welcome! they just need to set up a junior club to offer league to kids in the area and theyd be one of the best run clubs in whole wellington region

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 users

The Truth

Owen Glen said that his investment into the warriors was in preperation for him to eventually sell out and fund another team based in Wellington.

Sup42

Sup42

Are two bids better than one ?

Apart from diluted strength ( one management team with pooled resources could have arguably have been a super bid ).
You gotta think the two bids are a good thing for Wellington ? It shows there is a ground swell of Wellington interest in getting a franchise.
That's double what the Warriors originally went to the NRL with. Old school sales technique that....offer two brands of the same product ( Wellington rugby league is the new Uni lever ).

Hopefully the figures and projections of the two are comparable.

Sup42

Sup42

Owen Glen said that his investment into the warriors was in preperation for him to eventually sell out and fund another team based in Wellington.
Yes you would expect he would be a red hot favorite for a driver behind one of these bids.

kiwi's 13-6

maybe glens involved in welli nrl bid an warriors finally playing home games in wellington after 20 years is his doing to help promote wellington bid? be interesting to know if thats the case

DavidMcKay1974

DavidMcKay1974

Are you living in T-bay. I lived there till last year

I lived in the bay for a year about 2 years ago, I have family living there that I see every once a week or so. I love the bay so family orientated. So sport orientated. Same goes for Porirua. Even though it is a big collection of multi cultural which works in well.

I see the Titahi Bay Marlins just got their home ground in the bay for the first time in like 20 odd years. They are a senior team, and don't have a prem team yet. But I can see them going well.

drake83

Might as well add all the players from that area as Tohu Harris was scouted from one of the Wellington clinics wasnt he???

Probably as he is with the storm and all evidence is pointing that way at the moment.

Also want to mention with the thought of another Brisbane team does anyone remember the crushers??? Also with the current state of the Broncos i think if QLD gets another team id be giving it to central Queensland especially with some of the players who have come out of that area recently. Ben Barba, Josh Hoffman, Gai Gai, and DCE not to mention past player like Michael Luck and Scott Prince from that region. It doesnt help with the Storm scouting out of Brisbane as well just like Wellington.

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Probably as he is with the storm and all evidence is pointing that way at the moment.

Also want to mention with the thought of another Brisbane team does anyone remember the crushers??? Also with the current state of the Broncos i think if QLD gets another team id be giving it to central Queensland especially with some of the players who have come out of that area recently. Ben Barba, Josh Hoffman, Gai Gai, and DCE not to mention past player like Michael Luck and Scott Prince from that region. It doesnt help with the Storm scouting out of Brisbane as well just like Wellington.
They have no choice. Since joining the competition in 1998 Melbourne Storm have only ever produced 1 player with Melbourne junior roots. 1 PLAYER :eek:!

BTW its Mahe Fonua...

drake83

They have no choice. Since joining the competition in 1998 Melbourne Storm have only ever produced 1 player with Melbourne junior roots. 1 PLAYER :eek:!

BTW its Mahe Fonua...

This is what im meaning why expand somewhere, where there is no grass roots. I know to crack into the market and hopefully they produce more in the near future. Will also add the Raiders do a lot of recruiting out of Brisbane to.

InsideBall

InsideBall

BTW its Mahe Fonua...

I think Young Tonumaipea joined Fonua in round 1 as the only other Victorian product at the Storm.

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
I think Young Tonumaipea joined Fonua in round 1 as the only other Victorian product at the Storm.
Grand total of 2 players since 1998. Amazing how well they have done. They do have Sponsors Marquees and brown paper bags in their favour...